art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 03/08 - 09/08
User Name
Password

Old 09-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

John Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really nice

OK, I'll accept that as much better phrased.....thanks Brita, and your endorsement gets you off the Hot Seat, Davian.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Snow
OK, I'll accept that as much better phrased.....thanks Brita, and your endorsement gets you off the Hot Seat, Davian.
In my defense it was 7:42 in the morning when I posted it. Not 100% awake at that point usually.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
Brita, I think what you're saying is only partially true anymore. If we have an "overall goal", it has changed from one of species survival to one of improving the lives of as many of the species as we can.

But I wouldn't even go that far. As a society, we don't have an overall goal--we have millions if individual goals that sometimes coincide. As is true for any species, no one individual reproduces for the good of the species. We reproduce for the good of our own family/genetic line. As Bryan so succinctly pointed out, what it boils down to is that each of us cares more about our own family than anyone else's.

But that's just the people who are interested in their families. There are millions of people in our society who don't give a crap about passing on genes, or passing on the family legacy. They are all about making their own lives comfortable and safe, or about making the lives of other people comfortable and safe regardless of age or parental status.
Yes, there is definitely some truth to this.

I would argue, underneath it all, we primarily protect other species because we recognize that it translates into our own survival. (i.e. take care of the earth so we have a place to live, take care of the bees so they pollenate our food so we can eat etc.). In general anyway.

There are individuals, millionss of individuals, that are only out for themselves. But looking at societies as a whole, as an entity of themselves, the goal is still protection of our species.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 09-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I liked my deep thought darnit.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 09-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Elder

tanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud oftanaww has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to tanaww Send a message via Yahoo to tanaww

I thought this was interesting.

Tanaww,
Mother of Chaos and Debauchery

"Always start a story with 'No shit! There I was' or else no one will believe you" - 1SG

"The Universe hates bitches." - Deiwos the Sky God

All the cool kids read this.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The system’s problems, real and perceived, are such that the best jobs in this country offer private insurance. A few of my friends have paid thousands of dollars extra to get private care when they gave birth. For this private care you get your own room instead of sharing a ward with other new mothers and their babies, and extra care from doctors and the nurses.
Oh, lookit that... a difference in the haves and the have-nots.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett