art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (3): lschullarma, kchlenkerreni, nartnoahc,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Last signing is tonight. Anyone have questions?
Dunno if you can ask these, but here goes:

1) How did the Heroes of the Horn survive the disintegration of Tel'aran'rhiod so well? Even the Dreamwalkers were afraid, and Perrin needed to enter in the flesh, and we know the Heroes aren't as good as powerful Dreamwalkers.

2) Where were the Wise Ones and the Kin?

3) How was Egwene able to sense "a trembling in the North", and other such things about the Pattern? Is this a Talent of hers?

3) What was the number of turned Aiel men in the Town?

4) How come Bryne's dreams were invaded despite his bond to Siuan?

5) Was it actually Egwene talking to Rand after she died? How did her soul achieve that if so?
Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Okay, these are noted. Last call; I'm about to take a shower and then hit the road.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Okay, these are noted. Last call; I'm about to take a shower and then hit the road.
I have more since no one else seems to have any:

1) Why didn't the other ta'veren have effects on the world like Rand did, but weaker?

2) Is Egwene Latra Pose reborn?

3) Are any characters we've seen, apart from Birgette and Jain Heroes of the Horn?

4) Is Casdsuane going to unswear the Oaths and retire eventually?

5) Between Moiraine and Nynaeve who figured out the weave needed to take control of Callandor?

6) Does Graendal live long as Avi's slave?

7) Why didn't Egwene detect Gawyn's sickness due to the Rings via her bond to him?

8) Was Rand's final weave to reforge the DO's prison have any similarity to Egwene's Flame of Tar Valon weave? Did he get to see it from outside the Pattern?

9) Does Nynaeve cure the madness in other Asha'man?

10) Why didn't Graendal seek to Compel Tuon?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have enough questions already; it's a pretty long list with lots of potential for follow-ups, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have to ask questions. I have to go through the line once and go back through again, but the first time I go through I'll ask Brandon if I can catch him at the end. I'm #178 so I'm sitting here chilling while the line dwindles down; Harriet is leaving after the first go-through, so I'll go ahead and ask her a question the first time through.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

I have to send my report through Maria before I post it, but I can say which questions were answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
Do you mean RJ wrote the complete merrilor scne? Or was it all in his notes about what hppened? That is a big difference.
He was much clearer about this with me: RJ wrote the dialogue when Moiraine showed up at Merrilor. I'm guessing it was, like the proposal scene, fairly drafty, because it sure was awkward. That's the only tidbit I'll post because I got the feeling he had said as much many times before, and I'm simply the first to report it verbatim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Have we seen Nakomi in any other guise? Is she someone we would know?
Answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
3) What was the number of turned Aiel men in the Town?

4) How come Bryne's dreams were invaded despite his bond to Siuan?

5) Was it actually Egwene talking to Rand after she died? How did her soul achieve that if so?
These were all addressed in one way or another.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

So, Trae Cooper sent me his report from Atlanta kind of casually through Facebook, and I grilled him on details so that I can summarize it accurately here. I'll leave out a couple of things that are covered in detail elsewhere (one of them in my report).

Harriet killed Siuan.

Brandon also killed someone significant but he won't say who.

RJ left specific notes that Min's Alivia viewing was supposed to be incidental, and an example of unreliable narrator even in the case of Min's viewings. The Foretelling/dreams about the boat were supposed to be along the same lines.

Last edited by Terez; 02-24-2013 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Youngling

padfoot89 will become famous soon enoughpadfoot89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Harriet killed Siuan.
Huh? Does that mean Siuan was right about the viewing ?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

I'm guessing Harriet made that decision early on, so the whole charade about the viewing was planned.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Youngling

Quote:
I'm guessing Harriet made that decision early on, so the whole charade about the viewing was planned.
I wish they'd approached this differently, and had Siuan die in tGS. Have Bryne refuse to go with her, and have her die heroically, buying Gawyn time to escape with Egwene. Would have upped the impact of the Seanchan attack, would have left Bryne with no bond, so Graendal could have compelled him easily. On the whole, it would have worked out better, I think. Siuan didn't have much to do in ToM and aMoL. And I'd rather have seen her die at a time when the impact would have been so much greater.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 AM
Youngling

Quote:
I have to send my report through Maria before I post it, but I can say which questions were answered.

He was much clearer about this with me: RJ wrote the dialogue when Moiraine showed up at Merrilor. I'm guessing it was, like the proposal scene, fairly drafty, because it sure was awkward. That's the only tidbit I'll post because I got the feeling he had said as much many times before, and I'm simply the first to report it verbatim.

Answered.

These were all addressed in one way or another.
Any idea when we're going to see these?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 PM
ReadandFindOut.com

Dom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant futureDom has a brilliant future

Quote:
I guess you're right. I already thought that one sounded as a likely candidate for one of those instances where RJ was undecided and wrote down "I could do this, or I could do that, or that" about.

He could have killed Siuan in the rescue, thus making Bryne a dead man walking from that point. It would have made a great option, should he have decided the best way to go was to make the nomination of the GC to lead a battlefield each feel immediately ominous to the readers but not the characters, increasing the reader's feeling of deep need/desire to get Mat back north.

Not such a great avenue to take for the 3-books version, though. Bryne as a dead man walking and still in charge of the WT armies, plus the darkness around Bashere, plus the fact Graendal had previously used Ituralde and the other leaders of the factions/armies in AD much as she would the GC was pretty much way too much foreshadowing to leave to the HCFFs to chew on collectively for years.

The way Siuan's death happened gave the feeling RJ had left her exact fate up in the air (I'm not saying he would never have killed her this way, more that it was one of those things that served the mood/tone much more than plot development). I'd be far more surprised to learn that Gawyn's death or Egwene's death or even Birgitte's death were decided by TJ rather than RJ.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Any idea when we're going to see these?
Hopefully tomorrow, but I can't make any promises. Maria has to have the ebook errata in by Friday.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 AM
Elder

maacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant futuremaacaroni has a brilliant future

Hurry, woman, hurry, I say!

(I'm kidding)
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

It's looking like not today. Basically, Maria has a deadline on Friday to get the ebook ready. And I'm also waiting on Brandon to answer a question he forgot...and he just got home from tour, and he's recovering from sickness. Maria has at least written me back.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:05 PM
Youngling

Quote:
It's looking like not today. Basically, Maria has a deadline on Friday to get the ebook ready. And I'm also waiting on Brandon to answer a question he forgot...and he just got home from tour, and he's recovering from sickness. Maria has at least written me back.
Any idea if we'll see it this week?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Maria has been both busy and sick. I asked her if I could post it without any MAFOs, since it occurred to me that that was what was holding her up, and she said yes. So, coming.