art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 02-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Do kids ACTUALLY do that in US schools??
Not all schools, but some schools, yes.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotopia View Post
I'm pretty sure she took an Accepted's lunch money too.
She also used fear to manipulate novices into doing what she wants, making her a terrorist.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Do kids ACTUALLY do that in US schools??
Ok, so imagine this.

My high school had 2800-3000 kids in it on a given day. My graduating class alone was 750 or so. If you bought lunch, you'd have to go through the line and pay at the end by entering a PIN. As far as I can remember (I graduated high school 10 years ago, so it's a bit hazy), you just had to say your name to verify that it was your account. Not to mention that the cashiers were whipping you through as fast as they could because there was always a huge line of hungry teenagers behind you.

Ok. So my older brother played varsity football, and as a result I knew a lot of the varsity guys even as a freshman. This really boosted my coolness, but it also made me victim to a bunch of pranks. The offensive linemen (my brother played offensive line, so they were like my other brothers) used to love picking me up and carrying me to the opposite corner of the school right before class started. I would try to fight against the flow of literally hundreds or thousands of kids to try and make it back to my class on time, but I was late a lot. My teachers were mostly ok with it once they figured out what was going on.

The other big prank I remember is that the football team loved depleting my account of money. My parents would write a check for like $100, and that would last me a while. But once the football guys found out my number (and I have no idea how they did), they would all eat for free until the account was run dry. True story. I remember a few times I couldn't eat lunch because I didn't have money in the account. They made up for it by inviting me to the party after the game on Friday night, but it was still a pain in the ass.

So, long story short, yes, this does happen in U.S. schools. At least to me, it did.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Okay, let's try to stay on-topic to WoT, please.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Okay, let's try to stay on-topic to WoT, please.
See, Egwene sucks so bad that people would rather discuss their HS lives than WoT.

~back on topic~

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-12-2013, 10:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Wow. The boards have died suddenly.

I personally was happy with Egwene's overall character arc completion in the book...Gawyn bugged me more than Egwene anyway, and that proved true to the end.

While I think she made some dumb choices, did dumb things, was annoying at times, I still enjoyed her growth from the wide-eyed young girl to the woman who could accept an overwhelming burden of responsibility.

I would have liked to see a *wee bit* of self doubt and fear in her though. Being brave tends to happen when you don't think about it, and dawns on you later what idiotic chances you took. (At least in my real life.) Her character was a bit too focused on being firm and brave and doing THE BEST THING EVER FOR THE WORLD!!! TA-DAAAAAA!

Ok, that is my Egwene rant. I never recall taking a real stance on Egs before.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Well done, that. Can you now also explain what Valan Luca was up to in this book, and why he's Egwene's alter ego?
Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Well done, that. Can you now also explain what Valan Luca was up to in this book, and why he's Egwene's alter ego?
If you say Bloody Mary three times, he might come out. Please don't.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
Wow. The boards have died suddenly.

I personally was happy with Egwene's overall character arc completion in the book...Gawyn bugged me more than Egwene anyway, and that proved true to the end.

While I think she made some dumb choices, did dumb things, was annoying at times, I still enjoyed her growth from the wide-eyed young girl to the woman who could accept an overwhelming burden of responsibility.

I would have liked to see a *wee bit* of self doubt and fear in her though. Being brave tends to happen when you don't think about it, and dawns on you later what idiotic chances you took. (At least in my real life.) Her character was a bit too focused on being firm and brave and doing THE BEST THING EVER FOR THE WORLD!!! TA-DAAAAAA!

Ok, that is my Egwene rant. I never recall taking a real stance on Egs before.
But they couldn't show her that way. For the thematic parallels to work, she had to be very Rand-like. They both refused to show their real selves, accepting a mantle of great responsibility. Then they wore it so long it became part of them. Brandon handled it terribly with the whole "anger of the Amyrlin" crap, but the basic point still stands. These two were the only ones of their age group who completely internalized their responsibilities, and focused their remaining lives on those goals.