art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
I don't think anyone here ever called you that...
no, I made the bright decision of reading Erikssons foreword. He basically says (except in more words than that. because he's a brilliant writer) that he's awesome and yes, the books might be difficult to get into *for some*, but that's because he's awesome and *some people* just aren't smart enough to appreciate his excellence. Because they're stupid.

I make a habit of reading forewords, you get a feeling of the author, their sense of what's serious and what's funny; to me, the foreword and afterword really enhance the experience of the book. The Stephen King foreword to the Dark Tower is great, ALL of Bernard Cornwell's forewords and afterwords and historical notes are simply mindblowingly awesome, the Guy Gavriel Kay forewords are thoughtful and give that extra bit of insight... On the other hand Orson Scott Card's forewords are... eh... for Ender's Game it's ok and even kind of cool, but for the rest it gets progressively more bizarre and uncomfortable. Rather like the books.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Youngling

Demon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question about this series. The first few books dont tie into each other much right?

If so, when do they start doing that?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:47 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

There are basically three different story arcs in the first half of the series:

1-Gardens of the Moon = first arc
2-Deadhouse Gates = second arc
3-Memories of Ice = first arc
4-House of Chains = second arc
5-Midnight Tides = third arc

So 1 and 3 tie in with each other, and 2 and 4, etc.

Book six brings most of it together. And after that it's all essentially on big story except book eight, which goes back to Genebackis.

My GotM doesn't have a foreword. I guess I tend to ignore those (or, at least, not base my opinion on the whole book on them). GRRM does something similar in a couple afterwards, ie "This one was a bitch, I sure hope you appreciate all my hard work, etc." I don't really like GRRM as a person, but I love aSoIaF, so...kinda the same thing with Erikson and Malazan (except I don't know a whole lot about Erikson as a person--maybe that's a good thing?).
Old 01-23-2013, 12:04 AM
Youngling

Ah ok. Thanks. I like the characters for the most part so far, so i was just wondering when id see them again.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Elder

ChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really niceChubbyAiel is just really nice
Default Not a fan

I'm glad this thread exists because I was about to create something similar asking people what they think about this book. I'm about 100 pages from the end of Gardens of the Moon and it's been a while since I've found a book such a chore to get through.

My problems with it are:

I don't care about any of the characters. I don't really know why I should care if Tattersail, Whiskeyjack, Kalam or Paran should live or die. All of them just spend the book running around saying, "Dammit, Sergeant" or "Dammit, Captain" or "Dammit Corporal". They do a lot of stuff, while spouting dialogue straight out of a bad Hollywood movie about the US Marines, but they don't seem to think or feel too much.

The magic system is incomprehensible, not because it's meant to be mysterious (like in A Song Of Ice And Fire, where such mysteriousness works brilliantly) but because Erikson just keeps throwing phrasing at you like Omtose Phellack Warren and Thyr Warren. I mean, what the fuck are they when they're at home?

Erikson tells us in the foreword he's written this book so we "hit the ground running or [we're] toast". I, personally, am toast here because Erikson spends a whole book describing a lot of action without having built a world first. He says, again in that foreword, that "these are not lazy books", but they are. He means that the reader cannot be lazy; I mean that the writer was lazy in not presenting a story that is understandable and engaging within the bounds and definition of the world that the writer creates while writing that first book. He falls foul of writing a book with lots of events that are highly dependent on the magical powers of his protaganists and their (sometimes divine) enemies without defining those powers. He should have either taken the time to determine and define those powers (Jordan) or made it more about the human struggle and made the magic less of a big deal (GRR Martin).

Lastly, as someone above said, it reads like a Dungeons & Dragons campaign. Why would a squad of soldiers employ a former assassin and still think of him as an assassin? Is he not a former assassin? Obviously not in Erikson's mind, because Kalam was probably rolled up on a few d6 some years back as an assassin, and so that is his single defining feature in the author's mind. I can only compare it to someone who was once a soldier and now drives a taxi to make ends meet. Is he a soldier or a taxi driver? "Dammit, Corporal, how much is that fare?"

I won't be going near the second book with a shitty stick unless things pick up hugely in the last 100 pages. I read Catch 22 and, while I found it funny in places, I struggled with it until I finished it and then I thought it was great. I can't see Gardens of the Moon redeeming itself in that way. I fully expect to be as disappointed as when I finished the steaming pile of dog shit that is The Black Prism by Brent Weeks.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Youngling

First two are definitely the hardest to get through. 2nd was better than the first, but not by a huge margin. Im over halfway through the 5th book, Midnight Tides, now, and its pretty great.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
First two are definitely the hardest to get through. 2nd was better than the first, but not by a huge margin. Im over halfway through the 5th book, Midnight Tides, now, and its pretty great.
I very much disagree. the third book was torture to read as well. The only reason I did read it was that I had optimistically bought it already and DAMMIT I wasn't going to waste the money. Also, if it takes (depending on opinion) 2 or 3 or 4 books, each 600 to 800 pages long to "get into" a story... then either the story isn't worth it or the writer sucks. Having given up after book 3, I think the writer sucks.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
Yeah, I'm never reading these books. I bought the first 3 because a bunch of people raved about them and after putting down the 1st one a good 3 times over the past 5 years, I'm content to think that they will sit on my book shelf undisturbed for eternity.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyAiel View Post
I'm glad this thread exists because I was about to create something similar asking people what they think about this book. I'm about 100 pages from the end of Gardens of the Moon and it's been a while since I've found a book such a chore to get through.

My problems with it are:

I don't care about any of the characters. I don't really know why I should care if Tattersail, Whiskeyjack, Kalam or Paran should live or die. All of them just spend the book running around saying, "Dammit, Sergeant" or "Dammit, Captain" or "Dammit Corporal". They do a lot of stuff, while spouting dialogue straight out of a bad Hollywood movie about the US Marines, but they don't seem to think or feel too much.

The magic system is incomprehensible, not because it's meant to be mysterious (like in A Song Of Ice And Fire, where such mysteriousness works brilliantly) but because Erikson just keeps throwing phrasing at you like Omtose Phellack Warren and Thyr Warren. I mean, what the fuck are they when they're at home?

Erikson tells us in the foreword he's written this book so we "hit the ground running or [we're] toast". I, personally, am toast here because Erikson spends a whole book describing a lot of action without having built a world first. He says, again in that foreword, that "these are not lazy books", but they are. He means that the reader cannot be lazy; I mean that the writer was lazy in not presenting a story that is understandable and engaging within the bounds and definition of the world that the writer creates while writing that first book. He falls foul of writing a book with lots of events that are highly dependent on the magical powers of his protaganists and their (sometimes divine) enemies without defining those powers. He should have either taken the time to determine and define those powers (Jordan) or made it more about the human struggle and made the magic less of a big deal (GRR Martin).

Lastly, as someone above said, it reads like a Dungeons & Dragons campaign. Why would a squad of soldiers employ a former assassin and still think of him as an assassin? Is he not a former assassin? Obviously not in Erikson's mind, because Kalam was probably rolled up on a few d6 some years back as an assassin, and so that is his single defining feature in the author's mind. I can only compare it to someone who was once a soldier and now drives a taxi to make ends meet. Is he a soldier or a taxi driver? "Dammit, Corporal, how much is that fare?"

I won't be going near the second book with a shitty stick unless things pick up hugely in the last 100 pages. I read Catch 22 and, while I found it funny in places, I struggled with it until I finished it and then I thought it was great. I can't see Gardens of the Moon redeeming itself in that way. I fully expect to be as disappointed as when I finished the steaming pile of dog shit that is The Black Prism by Brent Weeks.
Repped. You made me snort with laughter and you basically said everything I think but am not eloquent enough to write.

And you're right about Catch 22, you have to get to the end to realise why it's brilliant, but it is. And I guess I won't be adding The Black Prism to my wish list...