art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Conventions > JordanCon 2013
User Name
Password

Old 04-27-2013, 04:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Q&A with Maria

The AMOL panel is still forthcoming, and the report on our meeting with Brandon, but for now here is a Q&A I did with Maria mostly based on some questions sent to me by my friend Colin. I was expecting she wouldn't know the answers to many of them, but I was hoping for some tidbits, and I got some. Even some of the "I don't know" answers are interesting. If sometimes it seems like I'm talking too much when I should be waiting for an answer, keep in mind sometimes I cut out the whole *pause* *Maria face* *tries to be helpful* sequence.

Terez: Why does Mordeth suddenly fall back in the room under Shadar Logoth (in The Eye of the World)? Was it because Mat picked up the dagger, or was it something different?
Maria: I don't know.

Terez: Brandon has said that Rand killed Aginor. (It was also in the BWB.) I think he was kind of iffy on it, but I tended to think that Rand killed him; some people say that Aginor overdosed, but I always thought that it was Rand taking the power of the Eye from him that killed him, you know? It's like the shock of having it taken away...do you know?
Maria: I don't know. I always thought it was Rand too, but I don't know.

Terez: The thick black cord that was attached to Ishamael at the Eye of the World that Rand saw...is that different from the black wires?
Terez: I asked Brandon about that one too.
Maria: I would have to really look at it and check the notes; it's not something that I know right off the top....
Terez: It's described a little bit differently. I thought maybe one was a connection to the True Power, and the other was protection from the taint, but RJ couldn't decide if that was the same thing or not.
Maria: I recently saw something about that in the notes, but I'm not remembering exactly what it said.
Terez: Do you happen to know anything about Ishamael's plan with the Eye, because it seems like he was trying to lead them there; why did he keep mentioning the Eye? Did he have a dream about it or something? You don't know?
Maria: No.

Terez: RJ said that Fain was responsible for the fly trap thing; it's in The Great Hunt, in that little village...
Maria: He did?
Terez: Yeah. Because a lot of people thought it was Lanfear, and RJ said it was Fain.
Maria: *looks surprised*
Terez: So I guess you don't know the answer to that question. (repeats self) ...and that kind of blew everyone's theories out of the water...
Maria: Yeah, because I thought it was Lanfear.

(It's possible Maria is right that it's Lanfear; we only have paraphrased reports of RJ saying it was Fain: two reports from the same signing in 2005 that might actually be written by the same person.)

Terez: Does the Horn work whenever it's blown, or are specific circumstances required?
Maria: I don't know that one either. Because I answered that for somebody; I think it was one of Luckers' questions way back...it was a different version of the question, you know, was the banner really required?

Terez: So why is the Horn of Valere linked to Illian?
Maria: That's another good question that I don't have the answer to.

Terez: When the girls are kidnapped in Cairhien in The Dragon Reborn, several Myrddraal arrive to collect them. Who were they working for?
Maria: I should know that. I think if I go to the notes, I could find that.

Terez: How did Moiraine identify Sammael and Be'lal? How did she know their names?
Maria: I'm assuming research; I don't know.
Terez: My theory was always eavesdropping.
Maria: Oh yeah, that's another good possibility.
Terez: And that would be a reason why she tipped Sammael off to her presence.
Maria: Yeah.
Terez: How did she rediscover balefire? Assuming research again?
Maria: Assuming.
Marie Curie: That question always comes up, about whether you can learn a weave by reading about it.
Maria: Yeah, I think it can help, and then you have to experiment and hope for the best.

Terez: In The Dragon Reborn, Perrin sees Ishamael, Rahvin, and Be'lal in a place that looks like the Ways—and of course we see that place in The Eye of the World, in the boys' dreams too—is that a construct that Ishamael makes in Tel'aran'rhiod?
Maria: I am assuming so, but again, I don't know.
Terez: I got the impression (because of this conversation) that Brandon kinda tried to explain that one.

Terez: Who had Herid Fel killed?
Maria: That was A Crown of Swords right?
Terez: It was in the epilogue of Lord of Chaos. They found out about it in A Crown of Swords. And it was the gholam. So it had to be—
Maria: Sammael, yeah. That was Sammael.
Terez: Do you know the reason?
Maria: Because he somehow learned that Fel was helping Rand and didn't want the information...?
Terez: A friend of mine has a theory; he believed that Herid Fel was Asmodean in disguise, because he didn't believe Asmodean was dead.
Maria: That's a good theory! I like that theory.
Terez: I like it too! Because it would explain a lot... (including why a gholam was sent to kill a non-channeler)
Maria: Yeah.

Terez: So who was responsible for the murdered Tinkers (in Lord of Chaos Chapter 22, discovered by Vanin)?
Maria: I don't know that one.
Terez: It's not in the notes?
Maria: Not that I have found. Searching the notes is....it's an imperfect science. Like if it's a rare character, it's real easy, because I open my desktop search, and I put in that name and not much comes up, but you put in 'Tinkers'...you know, there are hundreds of files where the Tinkers are mentioned. If I had one of them's name? You know. I'm hoping to find out; I'm still finding new little bits and pieces here and there, so...

Terez: Do you know the name of the third Blue Sitter that died?
Maria: I have it somewhere in my computer—I am almost positive—but I can never remember it.

Terez: Why are some of the heroes of the Horn referred to by the name of their last incarnation, while others seem to have archetypal names...like Birgitte, who I think has lived more recently than Birgitte. I might be wrong about that though, because we don't really have the details on that.
Maria: I have no clue.

Terez: Is the Bowl of the Winds found in Ebou Dar the same one that was lost by the Sea Folk?

Terez: Why wasn't Osan'gar given another chance, since he wasn't killed by balefire?
Maria: I think he had just been so....kind of useless. Why bother? You know...you don't get 'three times, you're out'; it's 'two times, you're out', you know?

Terez: Who gave Slayer the orders to kill Rand in Far Madding? And do you know who sent him to the Two Rivers?
Maria: I think I know who sent Slayer to Far Madding.
Terez: I always thought it was Taim...
Maria: Yeah...
Terez: Because why else would he disguise himself?
Maria: Yeah. That one I know.
Terez: Yay!
Maria: Yay!

Terez: Rosara Medrano appears in the Sun Palace at the beginning of Crossroads and seems to be an Aes Sedai. Was she part of the White Tower Embassy or did she arrive with Cadsuane?
Maria: I'm almost positive she was with Cadsuane, with Cadsuane's faction. I think I asked Jim that when we were actually working on the book.

Terez: So, sul'dam usually have to tell the damane what to do, but Tuon doesn't have to do that when we see her in Knife of Dreams...is that a matter of Talent, skill...something else? So it's like, you know, after they work with the Power for a while, they can see the weaves, right? Is it kind of along the same lines? After a while you don't actually have to tell the damane what to do; you can do it yourself through the damane?
Maria: That would be my assumption. I don't know it positively.

Terez: Which Forsaken was manipulating Masema? Brandon told us it was a woman. Well, he told us it a woman who was actually making the Illusion; it might have been somebody taking orders from someone else; we don't know.
Maria: I think I know, but I'm not sure.

Terez: So, what happened to Talene?

Terez: So how is it that Egwene was able to override the a'dam in the dream world when Moghedien couldn't? Was she just not as good as she thought she was?
Maria: Yeah, pretty much. She thought she knew everything, but you know, when Perrin went in and was, "It's just a weave..." it kind of changed the parameters.

Terez: So it's not clear whether Tuon accepted Egwene's condition to release damane who wished it. Did she, or was the agreement just Tremalking in exchange for allowing Seanchan ambassadors?
Maria: The latter I believe. I would really have to look at is closely.

Terez: Was Luc already a Darkfriend when he went to the Blight?
Maria: That came up in a panel yesterday.
Terez: Did you answer it?
Maria: We talked about it. I don't think he was a Darkfriend when he went into the Blight, but I don't know.

Terez: What happened to Liandrin after Suroth got arrested? She had that crazy shield on her, you know, so she was conspicuous.
Maria: I'd like to know that too. Some things occasionally get overlooked...

Terez: What happened to the Black Ajah that were with Rand after the Purge? Was that another thing that got overlooked? Because I know there was at least one—Fera—besides Elza, who obviously got blasted.
(later in email she told me that she had answered this for someone else, with time to think about it.)
Maria: I believe that any Black Ajah da'tsang got the Black Ajah signal that the jig was up, and scarpered. I don't know anything else.

Terez: Min predicted a tempestuous love affair for Sarene, and a lot of people said after the book that was a mistake, because it wasn't mentioned, and I was like, "Her Warder, Vitalien..." because she wrote poetry comparing him to a leopard. (laughter)
Maria: Yeah. There's a line somewhere about, she was always incredibly calm except when her Warder was around, or something like that...
Terez: Some people thought that it referred to Graendal...(laughter) And I'm like, "No....that doesn't count."
Maria: Yeah....no....
Terez: You know, Compulsion, tempestuous love affair, same thing...

Terez: Which Forsaken was it that visited Isam at the beginning of A Memory of Light?
Maria: I'm not going to answer that one.

Terez: Did RJ leave any notes about the future work of the Red Ajah?
Maria: Not that I've found.

Terez: Will there be anything more about the Land of Madmen in the Encyclopedia, or is the Guide all we get?
Maria: To the best of my knowledge, the Guide is all you get. There might be a sentence more somewhere, but not extensive information.

Terez: Why was Demandred's face familiar to Gawyn?
Maria: It seems like there was a reason, but I can't remember.

Terez: In Winter's Heart, Aran'gar says that Demandred was meant to be watching Rand, along with Aginor/Osan'gar, and how was he doing this if he was in Shara? I figured he was just doing the normal spying thing, but it seems like it was supposed to be a clue about where he was, which is why we always focused on it, but it wasn't.
Maria: Yeah, he was using other people.

Terez: Does Rand still have Lews Therin's memories?

Terez: Was Merilille with Talaan?
Maria: We don't know.

Terez: Is turning (to the Shadow) reversible?
Maria: I don't think so. I wouldn't swear by that.

Terez: Was a glossary every written for A Memory of Light?
Maria: No. We decided pretty much right off the bat that we wanted to end with the end. How do you follow that ending anyway? And we're doing the whole Encyclopedia; that would just be like a separate glossary.

Terez: So why do Aviendha's children have this special power of being able to channel at birth?

Terez: Did Aviendha tell Nynaeve that Rand is still alive?
Maria: I think that's an open question that we don't really know.

Terez: Was there ever a Black Amyrlin?
Marie Curie: That's not the way the Black liked to work usually...
Maria: Yeah, I'm thinking not, but I don't know that.

Terez: I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but in the Age of Legends, was the middle or the third name the honorific? Like, Lews Therin was his first and last name, and Telamon is the third name that he got when...
Maria: Yeah. Like Berid Bel, and then Medar.

Terez: Were the Seanchan originally controlled by the Shadow after the War of Power, or was it just Ishamael meddling at random times?

Terez: Who led the Blue Ajah before the split? Do you know?
Maria: I did. I can't remember.
Terez: It's not Lelaine?
Maria: I'm not sure.

Terez: Lanfear's dream palace, with all the white hangings...was that a dream place, or a real place?
Maria: I don't remember that.
Terez: Yeah, I think we only see it when she opens a gateway. And we saw it that once when she cut off that dude's head with her gateway in Winter's Heart. (Actually, we didn't see it there; I remembered it wrong.)
Maria: Oh, right. I don't know; I would have to look at that one, and I might figure it out.

Last edited by Terez; 04-27-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Terez: So, sul'dam usually have to tell the damane what to do, but Tuon doesn't have to do that when we see her in Knife of Dreams...is that a matter of Talent, skill...something else? So it's like, you know, after they work with the Power for a while, they can see the weaves, right? Is it kind of along the same lines? After a while you don't actually have to tell the damane what to do; you can do it yourself through the damane?
Maria: That would be my assumption. I don't know it positively.
There is of course some precedent for this: when Nynaeve a'damed Moghedien, Nynaeve could also used Moghedien's ability to channel to weave whatever she wanted.
Of course, Nynaeve could already channel (at least when she was able to channel, which wasn't always at that time); that would suggest that Tuon is very close to being able to channel herself too.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
There is of course some precedent for this: when Nynaeve a'damed Moghedien, Nynaeve could also used Moghedien's ability to channel to weave whatever she wanted.
Of course, Nynaeve could already channel (at least when she was able to channel, which wasn't always at that time); that would suggest that Tuon is very close to being able to channel herself too.
Yeah, I usually bring that up when there is a debate on the subject. I figure any sul'dam who can see the weaves is very close to being an active channeler; Tuon just gets to that point much younger than appears to be normal.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Isn't it assumed that it was Lanfear who visited Isam in AMoL prologue?
Old 04-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

It is, by most people. My friend Colin who supplied the questions believes it was Lanfear, but I was party to an email debate between Colin and Bob of E-WoT who believes (believed?) it was Graendal.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Terez: So it's not clear whether Tuon accepted Egwene's condition to release damane who wished it. Did she, or was the agreement just Tremalking in exchange for allowing Seanchan ambassadors?
Maria: The latter I believe. I would really have to look at is closely.
Yeah, I'm not sure if you were in that panel (Future States), but this came up, and reading it straight, it does seem that it is the latter. Tuon doesn't seem to agree to releasing anyone. The conversation seriously degenerates after that, so it would certainly be reasonable to go with the latter interpretation.

Quote:
Terez: Was Luc already a Darkfriend when he went to the Blight?
Maria: That came up in a panel yesterday.
Terez: Did you answer it?
Maria: We talked about it. I don't think he was a Darkfriend when he went into the Blight, but I don't know.
I'm almost certain this was one of my questions in a panel (can't recall which), given my minor obsession with Luc/ Tigraine/ Gitara. There was definitely not an answer, and lots of opinions.

This was great - it must have been a bitch to transcibe - thanks!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 04-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

It was pretty easy to transcribe this time, for whatever reason; it was hard to put in the database though. (42 entries, lots of cross-referencing, etc.) Now I'm transcribing the AMOL panel; I need to get the text of Kristy's speech so I don't have to do that part.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

I'm sure if you message her on fb, she's send it to you!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta say that that was a bit disappointing to read.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Gotta say that that was a bit disappointing to read.
Patience, young padawan.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Dav, why?

Old 05-01-2013, 02:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara View Post
Dav, why?
A short summary would read:
Maria: Can't remember.

Which, all in all, lacks something in the informativity department.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

A more accurate short summary would be:

Which is interesting in itself because it's indicative of how little they had to work with. But again, I was just going for tidbits, and I got some.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Which is interesting in itself because it's indicative of how little they had to work with. But again, I was just going for tidbits, and I got some.
Exactly!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Also, some people probably aren't aware but a few of those things were great debates at DM after the release of the book—things that weren't talked about so much or even mentioned here. For example, Min's viewing of Sarene (which seemed really obvious to me, but apparently wasn't to some people). Her reaction to Dom's theory about Herid Fel was great. The answer to the "who hired Slayer" is a big one; that one got a fair amount of discussion at all forums. Sometimes it helps to slip those in the middle of a bunch of "I don't know" questions.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Also, some people probably aren't aware but a few of those things were great debates at DM after the release of the book—things that weren't talked about so much or even mentioned here. For example, Min's viewing of Sarene (which seemed really obvious to me, but apparently wasn't to some people). Her reaction to Dom's theory about Herid Fel was great. The answer to the "who hired Slayer" is a big one; that one got a fair amount of discussion at all forums. Sometimes it helps to slip those in the middle of a bunch of "I don't know" questions.
I think the key here too that most folks might miss is that you know Maria well enough to interpret the "I don't know" as TRULY she doesn't know, wich in all likelihood means there is not an answer. Unless it is buried somewhere deep in the notes or papers and has not yet been unearthed.

Maria saying "I don't know" does not automatically equate to "I don't remember".
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Well, over the course of all the answers you can see that she makes differentiations along those lines. I imagine tone of voice did often convey a certain finalness to some of the don't-knows, but even on the one she added an answer to later, she said "I believe" rather than just saying "this is what happened". Both she and Brandon made a point this weekend of saying that the words "I believe" are important distinctions.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well, over the course of all the answers you can see that she makes differentiations along those lines. I imagine tone of voice did often convey a certain finalness to some of the don't-knows, but even on the one she added an answer to later, she said "I believe" rather than just saying "this is what happened". Both she and Brandon made a point this weekend of saying that the words "I believe" are important distinctions.

Exactly and like what you've said before, Brandon made it clear at the conference that many of his answers are personal opinion answers rather than what are in the notes. Like obviously he knows some that he can't say or does say but some answers he gives are answers that are his personal opinions
Old 05-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Like the pipe.