art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Youngling

Tollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of light
Default The Forsaken in the Early Books

I'm just looking to alleviate some confusion here about which Forsaken were involved in which early book plots, since all of it is not made totally clear--as far as I can tell anyway

1. From what I can tell, Ishmael ordered Liandrin to bring the girls to Falme so he could put them on a ship and send them away. He also ordered the BA to kill Elayne and Min if they stayed behind like they were supposed to.

2. What exactly is Lanfear doing in the White Tower disgused as Else besides keeping tabs on Mat? She mentioned to him that she had "other interests" there, so what are they? Was she involved with the Gray Man or Slayer being there? Who ordered both of these?

3. It doesn't seem like Mesaana is that actively involved in the WT in the first three books, so is Lanfear the one who is attempting to sew dischord in the Tower and bring it down? Or, is this another Ishmael plot?

4. If Liandrin's Black Ajah are being ordered by Ishmael, how do they end up working for Bel'al in Tear?

Any thoughts?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

1. Probably sort of right, though I am not at all sure that Ishamael cared about Min (or Elayne) at that point. His interest was in Egwene and Nynaeve, who had a clear link to Rand then.

2. I think that she was checking out Egwene to see whether or not she was still competition. I also suspect that was looking to see whether she could pick a conveniently unguarded sa'angreal or two.

3. Good question/questions.

4. The went to Tear, possibly based on orders from Ishamael, maybe based on orders from Lanfear. When they arrived there, they were snapped up by Be'lal, who at that point was nominally equal to the other two Forsaken, and could thus simply appropriate any DF he fancied.

Quote:
Any thoughts?
I think not.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:48 AM
Elder

Zombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond reputeZombie Sammael has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zombie Sammael

There's a quote in the interview database about which of the Forsaken was released first. That might help answer some of your questions.

Master of the lightnings, rider on the storm,
wearer of a crown of swords, spinner out of fate.
Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time,
may learn the truth too late.

Light is held before the maw of the infinite void, and all that he is can be seized.

The one who Death has known
Old 05-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Youngling

Tollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the insight!
Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

I would expect that the common thread here is Ishmael, and the fact that he's the only one that hasn't been sealed up in the Blight for the entire time. As the guy with the lock on the most up-to-date information on the world outside, he was in a natural position to use that to his advantage. I can't imagine Shai'tan info-dumping his Forsaken like some giant-sized library of knowledge, but Ishmael's the kind of guy who would, and in such a way that it benefits himself the most, lining him up for the Nae'bliss. Got some loser like Rahvin that you want somewhere he can be useful? Tup tup old bean, there's a little queen with a line of previous lovers over in Andor. You'll fit right in!