art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

I loved the first book, but I have to agree with Mort:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
It's a bit funny they are loved so much when not a lot really happens in them, at least not in the way of other fantasy plots.
Minor book 2 spoilers:
Spoiler:
Especially in the second book, it seems like Rothfuss wanted to make a trilogy, but didn't have enough story to fill 3 books, so he fills it up with other stuff to Kvothe to so. It kind of reads like a lot of stories strung together, rather than one long storie. Note: I'm not saying they're bad stories, it's still fun to read.
I just seems to drag a bit. Especially his time in the University in the 1st half of the 2nd book is almost the same stuff as the 2nd half of the first book: learning stuff, looking for Denna and fighting with Ambrose...

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough

I've had this book recommended by a few people. It's been on my list and now I am going to finally use the B&N gift card I've been holding onto since April to pick it up.

I would have to read it before Jordancon 2014 anyway. I've been curious to meet Rothfuss from things I have heard about him. They have ranged from great guy to cocky....so I guess we'll see.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation
Default No real spoiler.

I really liked the first book, and the second one was pretty good, too, except that the Adem storyline with it's oriental-stereotype-martial-artist-with-enigmatic-philosophy-teaches-western-boy-hidden-wisdom-through-speaking-in-riddles trope was extraordinarily tedious to me. It sort of reminded me of karate kid and every other martial arts movie there is combined with the Sphinx from that movie Mystery Men:

Mr. Furious: Okay. Am I the only one who finds these sayings just a bit formulaic? "If you wanna put something down, you gotta pick it up". "If you wanna go left, you gotta go right". It's...

Sphinx: Your temper is very quick, my friend. But until you learn to master your rage

Mr. Furious: Your rage will become your master? That's what you were gonna say, right? Right?

Sphinx: ... Not necessarily.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

Personally, I thought Name of the Wind was an over-hyped and incredibly mediocre book as far as fantasy is concerned. Nothing terribly original or inventive as far as I'm concerned. What bothers me more is Patrick Rothfuss' attitude, though. I've never met him, but he just comes across as self-entitled, arrogant, and much too impressed with himself.

Finish the story you've been writing for 15 years, and then write another one, then you can be as condescending and arrogant as he is.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Elder

Figbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant futureFigbiscuit has a brilliant future

Well I've just bought the second one in proper book form. Thrilled to see it's a large book with lots of small text, my favourite kind

I really wanted to buy the first one first in proper book form but couldn't justify the unnecessary expense. It'll have to wait until I'm a little more financially free than I am this month.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Working on the second book, almost 2/3 through it. Very pleased so far. A few things seem a bit "going astray" but I am hopeful there is a circular reasoning in all of it.

SPOILER ALERT:

I especially loved two things so far:

The Maer's name is actually Rand (mentioned once by Stapes, his manservant)

The hand/sign language of Tempi. It gives me an understanding I can apply back to WoT maiden handtalk. Like it. Like it.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute

ok, not so enamored as I have moved forward in the book

Spoiler warning
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The sex goddess/Fae/Felurian bit just made me go...okay whatever. I liked the books very much up until that point, but that was jumping the shark for me and I lost my ability to stay "in" the book in my mind. Finding a way to visually realize folklore/tell a historical story/move the plot along doesn't bode well if this bit is any indication. Color me disappointed. But I continue on, should be finished today if I get to read on my lunch hour.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

I found myself skimming quite rapidly through the Felurian part.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaf3 View Post
What bothers me more is Patrick Rothfuss' attitude, though. I've never met him, but he just comes across as self-entitled, arrogant, and much too impressed with himself,
I don't know that I could disagree with this more. Seriously, it's like you randomly formed an opinion of him based on .... anything other than who and what he is.

I've met him twice. I follow his blog like it's a religion. I've listened to him do interviews. He's a huge fan in the nerd-web world (Nail Gaiman, Felcia Day, Wil Wheaton, etc).

I've heard him talk about how he never had more than a few pairs of pants or never more than one coat until after his books get published. He talks about the trials of rising his son (who's four-ish or so now),

He just found out some fans named their baby boy Kvothe, and didn't believe them. No one would do such a thing. The fans sent in photos of the boy and the birth certificate, and Pat was stunned. He wrote the parents a letter to give to the boy (or not, as they saw fit) just because.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Rothfuss
Hello little Kvothe,

It will probably be a long time before you read this, if ever. I just wanted to give you my best wishes and fond hopes for the future.

I hope you grow up sweet and loving. I hope you grow up clever and strong. I hope you are happy.

I hope your life is hard, but not too hard. I hope you are careful, but not too careful. I hope you make beautiful mistakes and learn things.

I hope you always have ten good friends who are close to you. I hope you know that you are loved. I hope you make the world a better place.

Thanks for making me smile,

pat
(http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2013/08/introducing/)

How does any of this not tell you how VERY down to earth this man is? I'll admit I'm such a huge fan I'm biased, but to me it's like you're calling black white while everyone else talks about how much they like black.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough

I remember being surprised by how long the Felurian bit lasted. I enjoyed both books quite a bit, but there were parts, like that sequence, that I didn't care much for.

I have since read through a lot of his blog, I can't find any evidence of him being conceited in the least... On the contrary, I find him very likable so far. Not at all like another author's blog that I have read, I won't name any names.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Thief View Post
I'll admit I'm such a huge fan I'm biased, but to me it's like you're calling black white while everyone else talks about how much they like black.
Ok teenage girl-fan, calm down.

I like him very much and agree, never have seen anything remotely "conceited" about him. He has a very, very dry and self depreciating sense of humor, which may not translate well???

I am considering JordanCon next year primarily because he will be there. DT, are you thinking about it???