art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > A Memory of Light
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Hero: The Prophet of Moiraine

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute
Default myrdraal.

So, did all the myrdraal drop dead when Rand sealed the bore?
If his bride didn't like it, St. Peter wouldn't mind.

Well, now I lie here so out of breath and... over opiated.
Maybe I couldn't catch up no, but maybe she could have waited.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Perrin didn't think so:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMoL, Epilogue, To See the Answer
Aiel called to Perrin, "Ho, blacksmith, join us!" But he did not enter their celebrations. He looked for the guards. Someone around here had to be levelheaded enough to worry about a rogue Myrddraal or Draghkar taking the opportunity to try for a little revenge. Sure enough, he found a ring of defenders at the center of camp guarding a large tent. What of Rand?
Of course, we don't know whether he was guessing based on inborn pessimism or whether he was worried based on actual knowledge.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 PM

Seeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond reputeSeeker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Perrin didn't think so:
Of course, we don't know whether he was guessing based on inborn pessimism or whether he was worried based on actual knowledge.
The fades have a connection to the dark one/true power. What happens when that connection is severed?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
The fades have a connection to the dark one/true power. What happens when that connection is severed?
Good question. The answer, as far as we can tell, is unknown. Prudence would suggest one shouldn't blithely assume that all Fades dropped dead and thus aren't dangerous anymore.
The fact that Fades could enter Stedding (even though they didn't like it at all) does suggest that they can exist even when they can not feel that connection to the DO/TP, lending further credence to the pessimistic speculation that some Fades could have survived the disappearance of the DO. Maybe they have lost some of their special abilities, such as the riding shadows thing, which would make them somewhat less dangerous than they were.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Well, they didn't disappear the first time, so why would they now? The Dark One still exists after all.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 04-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Then again, the first time the DO could still be felt through the patch, altough less clearly than before. So then there was still a connection, while now there isn't. That's a change, but whether or not it is a big enough change is the question.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:08 PM

When ishy was out and about, he could use the True Power. Moghidien cannot use the True Power anymore. So the Dark One is well and truly gone.

Since Myrdraal abilities come from the True Power, what does that mean for them?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
When ishy was out and about, he could use the True Power. Moghidien cannot use the True Power anymore. So the Dark One is well and truly gone.

Since Myrdraal abilities come from the True Power, what does that mean for them?
Do Myrdraal powers come from the TP? IIRC, not even Aginor could figure out how Shadow walking and other powers worked.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:41 PM

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Turning

That's where I got the idea that they get their power from a connection to the Dark One.

Quote:
Thirteen Dreadlords channel using thirteen Myrddraal as a filter. The combination of saidar or saidin, mixed with the Myrddraal's power which is derived from the True Power are able to shift the allegiance of any channeler to the Shadow against their will.
They don't really cite a source for that, so it could just be the author's interpretation.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Turning

That's where I got the idea that they get their power from a connection to the Dark One.
Probably from here, our first introduction to Myrddraal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tEotW
Chapter 8
(Lan POV)
"Sometimes, sheepherder, stories make things larger than truth. Believe me, the truth is big enough with a Halfman. Halfman, Lurk, Fade, Shadowman; the name depends on the land you're in, but they all mean Myrddraal. Fades are Trolloc spawn, throwbacks almost to the human stock the Dreadlords used to make the Trollocs. Almost. But if the human strain is made stronger, so is the taint that twists the Trollocs. Halfmen have powers of a kind, the sort that stem from the Dark One. Only the weakest Aes Sedai would fail to be a match for a Fade, one against one, but many a good man and true has fallen to them. Since the wars that ended the Age of Legends, since the Forsaken were bound, they have been the brain that tells the Trolloc fists where to strike. In the days of the Trolloc Wars, Halfmen led the Trollocs in battle, under the Dreadlords."
Lan believes that Myrddraal powers stem from the DO, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's completely correct.

Semirhage and Greandal have a slightly different view:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoC
Chapter 6
(Semirhage POV)
Bloodless lips twisted in a smile. That was its only reply. Turning sharply, it strode away through patches of shadow and abruptly was gone.

Semirhage wished she knew how Myrddraal did that. It had nothing to do with the Power, but on the edges of shadow, where light was becoming dark, a Myrddraal could suddenly be elsewhere, in another shadow far away. Long ago Aginor had tested over a hundred of them to destruction in a vain effort to learn how it was done. The Myrddraal themselves did not know; she herself had proved that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tPoD
Chapter 12
(Greandal POV)
The Myrddraal strode by her sinuously, seeming not to pay her any heed. Its long black cloak hung undisturbed by its movements. Aginor had thought the creatures were not quite in the world in the same way everything else was; "slightly out of phase with time and reality," he had called it, whatever that meant.
The True Power wasn't used directly in their creation (nor in the creation of any living Trolloc) and they don't knowingly use tTP. How or whether their nature is ependent on the "DO's touch" I'm not sure we'll ever be able to pin down.

I think Myrddraal probably shared the fate of the Trollocs -- whatever that was.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.