art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > Brandon Sanderson
User Name
Password

Old 03-23-2014, 04:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Finished the book today. Loved it!

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:
Does anyone else think Adolin is gonna end up in a bad way given his essentially cold-blooded murder of Sadeas, regardless of how much Sadeas deserved it that's not exactly the act of a "radiant" like the rest of his family so I could easily see that being a massive red flag for him turning out bad somehow.

Thoughts?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Spoiler:
Well, either he's going to end up turning "bad", or, as I read someone suggeting on another forum, he's going down the road the others have been on before and end up a Radiant eventually. Since the spren seem to be bonding to people that are in some way or other broken.

Excuse the convoluted sentence, but I'm not going to re-type it.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

For those interested: 17thshard.com translated the number-coded chapter title of chapter 84:
Spoiler:
Hold the secret that broke the Knights Radiant. You may need it to destroy the new orders when they return.

Also, in Shallan's drawing of the lait, you can see some of Jasnah's note that were on the back of the page. They managed to get some of that, too:
Spoiler:
The statement that intrigues me though is that of King Nohadon which implies Urithiru could be reached [from] [within] cities. If such a thing were possible, evidence of the roads [could] be in place among the Kingdoms of today. I <have> since <visited> <the> [_______] [______] and found what I believe to be gateways there, but the [______] [____] [____] ones and how to work them is likely too dangerous to activate them <in> the center of a populated city as I [_____________] planned with my uncle. I hope to find them in unpopulated [__________]

Note that's it's actually phonetic:
Spoiler:
Thu Statmint That Intregs Me Thou Is That Uv Keng Nohudan hch implis
Urithiru Kod Be Rechd If [__ __] [Uv___ Md__] Sites If [_____ __] [Thaag]
War Pasibli Evadins Uv Thu Rods [__________] Be In Plas Umung Thu
Kengdums Uf Toda I Lav Sens Vitod [Th_________u] [S______] and Faond
Wut I Belev To Be Gatwas Ther But Thu [____ba] [_dgr] [A____] m
Uns An Hao To Work Them Is Likle To Dangerus To Aktuvat Them On Thu
Senter Of a Populatd Site As I [Ag_________du] Pland With Mi Unkl
I Hop To Find Them En Unpapulatid [_________]

They also translated the thaylen script on the map of the Frostlands, but that's hard to link, so I'll just link the thread:
http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic...on/?hl=drawing

Last edited by Sarevok; 03-26-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

I enjoyed it.
The awesomeness thing got me at first, but as the PoV continues, it actually fits in quite well with her character. Reminds me a bit of Rikku from FFX.
Yay for individuality.. random but didn't bother me.
Having just read Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks before WoR, I found Brandon's writing better. Weeks used the term "Spartan", which actually had Me wondering whether I'm just a bit anal to be bothered by the use of language.

it took me until after Shallan's and Kaladin's chasm scene to catch on to Jasnah.

Wit intrigues me.

Re-reading now then would quite like some more discussion.

Last edited by Anaiya Sedai; 04-06-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

I liked it

I like the Interludes. Bits and pieces of things to come, or explanations of slow building ideas.

I need to re-read Way of Kings now though.

I am not doing spoiler tags, anyone coming here should have read the book, otherwise why look at the thread? I will use spoiler space though...

space
space
space

you get it, space

Adolin might be a key to all of this, but I don't think so much a BAD thing. Maybe a different direction, and what we SEE now as good/possibly right could be total misdirection. RENARIN on the other hand strikes me as being where the trouble lies, as he can see the future and doesn't seem totally in his right mind. That obviously could be as explained, he thought he was nuts. But he could be a bit of a wild card.

Love Wit, but might get old. Fast.

I like the Bridge Four folks being part of the Knights Radiant "group" if not true Radiants. There is a Malazan feeling to that. Ewwww, that will piss off people, lololol.

Syl rocks. Screw you daddy-o HE IS MINE! I don't care if it is against the rules.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 04-09-2014, 05:52 AM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SauceyBlueConfetti View Post
I need to re-read Way of Kings now though.
You know, there ought to be enough in this series to make me excited enough to re-read and analyze things--there are plenty of interesting things one could discuss-- but I don't think I have it in me to engage any book series on that level any longer. I think it's just an age thing. I was so much younger when I started reading WOT, and I can't seem to muster that level of enthusiasm at this age.

As to Wit, I started thinking that I was in Robin Hobb's universe when I read that. I actually thought "oh, right, the golden fool" before I realized it was wholly the wrong series.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
You know, there ought to be enough in this series to make me excited enough to re-read and analyze things--there are plenty of interesting things one could discuss-- but I don't think I have it in me to engage any book series on that level any longer. I think it's just an age thing. I was so much younger when I started reading WOT, and I can't seem to muster that level of enthusiasm at this age.

As to Wit, I started thinking that I was in Robin Hobb's universe when I read that. I actually thought "oh, right, the golden fool" before I realized it was wholly the wrong series.
LOL...sadly this is accurate for me too.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-10-2014, 06:41 PM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
LOL...sadly this is accurate for me too.
I guess we just got old and boring. Well, more boring, in my case. Boringer, you might say. Due to our rather predictable lifestyle, MS does sometimes refer to us as Mr. and Mrs. Boring, which is wildly inaccurate. It should be Dr. and Mrs. Boring.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

I finished it. I liked it a lot. Though I have to agree, the end left me... sort of at odds, wishing there'd been more. I guess the end of book 1 was more satisfactory (for me) as sort of an epic redemption; but the end of book 2 was more insecure. There was a lot of new information, very tightly packed together, and it's only raising questions; with very few answers.

I agree that for Lift character "awesomeness" fit the character. I did notice that there are apparently fairly few synonyms for "storm" in the English language. I did not like the use of "yeah" and "yup" - but then, I don't like the use of those in real life so that might be it.

I really loved the different characterization from book 1 - How Kaladin is still Kaladin but much less likable. How Adolin is still Adolin but seen from Kaladin's point of view he's such a puppy... I really loved Shallan's backstory. Her somewhat manic behaviour is (to me, at least) explained more when she says to Kaladin that she's insane. I liked what little we saw of Jasnah; though I really REALLY hope she won't turn into a Moiraine. Also, I agree: Wit is way similar to the Fool, sometimes distractingly so. However, the court jester role does fit in the genre so... I kind of pretended that Hoid knew that and is playing the role deliberately. I was rather bothered by that whole Herdazian trope, even though I like Lopin as a character. I mean, "Little Herdaz" - really?

Plot-wise going ahead, it'll be interesting to see how the dynamics change as Dalinar, Kaladin, Shallan AND Renarin are Radiants but Adolin - the former golden boy - is... not. of course, I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes one anyways, but at least the beginning of book 3 will probably do something with that power shift. I want ot know if Jasnah is really alive or if that was some sort of a trick. I want to know more of this Nightwatcher character. And, I want Elhokar to man up.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 04-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Plot-wise going ahead, it'll be interesting to see how the dynamics change as Dalinar, Kaladin, Shallan AND Renarin are Radiants but Adolin - the former golden boy - is... not.

What an interesting dynamic however...the Knights Radiant were demonized and to be feared for their prior actions (which we still do not yet have a full accounting). Now out of the blue your father, your brother, your sometimes foe/sometimes friend/sometimes protector and your love are all 'bad guys' in the eyes of the rest of the world?

Adolin could become the actual protector of the Knights. Or, he will continue to be the one 'left behind'. Which could tie things together in other ways from WoK, eh?

Finishing up Lions of Al-Rassan right now, but WoK is next up for a re-read.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Also, I agree: Wit is way similar to the Fool, sometimes distractingly so. However, the court jester role does fit in the genre so... I kind of pretended that Hoid knew that and is playing the role deliberately.
No need to pretend: He is absolutely playing that role. Very intentionally so. It's a thing he does a lot - He was literally the "Imperial Fool" during the time of The Emperor's Soul (he's the one who betrayed Shai). He's also obsessed with stories, and the roles people play in those stories. It's a role that allows him to have access to the higher powers of a region without being forced to be a big player himself. Fits for the more observer-type he tends to be.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras