art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > Theoryland Re-Read
User Name
Password

Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Perhaps Padan Fain took it to Baerlon for fixing ...
Seems like a bit of a stretch...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 07-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

It wouldn't be too surprising to find out that Fain was involved in pot trafficking on top of everything else...
Old 07-29-2014, 10:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I'm sure the Tinkers have been to the Two Rivers in the past, but they apparently haven't been near Emond's Field specifically during Perrin's lifetime, which is close to 20 years. It's possible they came as far as Watch Hill during Perrin's lifetime, in which case some but not all Emond's Fielders would have made the trip to see them (and get pots fixed).
Old 07-30-2014, 02:09 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

When Rand and co. are on the Spray Domon mentions all the weird things he's seen or heard about. Almost all of them we see later on (Ghenjei, the crystal on Tremalking, the bowl with the spire thing, etc.), but he also mentions this:
Quote:
tEotW 24
A crystal lattice covering an island, and it hums when the moon is up.
Is this supposed to be anything we've seen?

Later, when they reach Whitebridge, this happens:
Quote:
tEotW 26
Rand stared even more wonderingly. From the Age of Legends. Made by Aes Sedai, then. That was why Captain Domon felt the way he did, for all his talk about the wonder and strangeness of the world. Aes Sedai work. One thing to hear about it, another to see it, and touch it. You know that, don't you? For an instant it seemed to Rand that a shadow rippled through the milk-white structure. He pulled his eyes away, to the docks coming nearer, but the bridge still loomed in the corner of his vision.
Uh...what? Is this just a random trick of the eye that's supposed to be symbolic of Rand's thoughts, or...?

When Moiraine and co. arrive in Whitebridge, she changes her mind and decides to go after Perrin instead of Rand and Mat. Her reasoning is that she doesn't know where Rand and Mat went, when A) She can apparently sense their fear, which would lead her down the Caemlyn Road, and B) She didn't really know where they were anyway until she finally sensed them in the common room at Whitebridge. So I don't really get her reasoning here.

I'm a little confused with what happens in the Tinker camp. Elyas is waiting for "something" to happen before they leave. Ishamael shows up and breaks the wolf wards on Perrin's dreams (at least, I assume that's what happened). Then he has a raven peck out Perrin's eye (which apparently has no physical effect on him in the real world) and says "I mark you mine." So what did this marking do? Can't Ishamael track them all anyway through the dreams? And apparently Ishamael breaking through the wolf wards and attacking Perrin was the secret signal Elyas was waiting for?

When they finally leave, Raen looks at the sky and says that it's an evil day (or something to that effect). Is this just a somewhat melodramatic scene in which the wise old man is able to look up at the sky and tell the day will be evil? Or can he "read the wind"? (ie, channel). Also, nothing happens that day. It's at least a day, maybe more until the ravens attack them.

When Elyas talks about Artur Hawkwing, he says that Hawkwing conquered everything "...from the Aryth Ocean to the Aiel Waste, and even some beyond the Waste." I don't remember, but Hawkwing didn't unite the Aiel along with everyone else, did he? But he apparently did make it to Shara? So are some of his descendants over there too?

I know the Whitecloaks are heading for Caemlyn, but where the heck are they coming from? They're in the middle of nowhere. And did they not have to ride through the swarms of man-eating ravens?

Also, why do the Whitecloaks smell "wrong" to Perrin. Just cause they're all assholes?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
When Rand and co. are on the Spray Domon mentions all the weird things he's seen or heard about. Almost all of them we see later on (Ghenjei, the crystal on Tremalking, the bowl with the spire thing, etc.), but he also mentions this:

Is this supposed to be anything we've seen?
Nope.

Quote:
Later, when they reach Whitebridge, this happens:

Uh...what? Is this just a random trick of the eye that's supposed to be symbolic of Rand's thoughts, or...?
It was made partly with saidin. Perhaps Rand can sense the taint in it better than anyone because by this point he has channeled a couple of times.

Quote:
When Moiraine and co. arrive in Whitebridge, she changes her mind and decides to go after Perrin instead of Rand and Mat. Her reasoning is that she doesn't know where Rand and Mat went, when A) She can apparently sense their fear, which would lead her down the Caemlyn Road, and B) She didn't really know where they were anyway until she finally sensed them in the common room at Whitebridge. So I don't really get her reasoning here.
It's a matter of precision. She could find Perrin more certainly than she could find them.

[lots of TEOTWisms]

Quote:
When Elyas talks about Artur Hawkwing, he says that Hawkwing conquered everything "...from the Aryth Ocean to the Aiel Waste, and even some beyond the Waste." I don't remember, but Hawkwing didn't unite the Aiel along with everyone else, did he? But he apparently did make it to Shara? So are some of his descendants over there too?
Elyas isn't counting the Waste. The 'beyond' bit has to come from stories of the voyages of Hawkwing's children to Seanchan and Shara, though the stories about Berelain's line are apparently not believed. That expedition failed, which is why the line ended up in Mayene.

Quote:
Also, why do the Whitecloaks smell "wrong" to Perrin. Just cause they're all assholes?
Perrin can smell emotions and the like; they probably smell rabid.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
It's a matter of precision. She could find Perrin more certainly than she could find them.

[lots of TEOTWisms]
True, but her plan from the beginning was to find the two without the coins (Rand and Mat) because she knew where the other one (Perrin) was already and could find him any old time. She goes to Whitebridge to search for signs of the ones she's actually concerned about at the time, and when she finds the signs, she just changes her mind (conveniently in time to save Perrin, I guess. Maybe RJ should have just had her go after Perrin from the start?).
Old 07-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

She thought they might be in Whitebridge. She could have found them and then gone for Perrin. But they had already left, so it wasn't that easy.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:54 AM
Elder

I mostly read Rand and Mat's journey to Caemlyn today. Not a whole lot going on there, but a few things came to mind.

First, why did RJ decide to write these scenes with all the weird flashbacks? I mean, I'm saying this mostly as a joke, and it isn't really confusing or anything, but it just seems like a very odd way to write the whole thing. Maybe RJ was trying to impart some of Rand and Mat's paranoia/confusion on the reader?

I'm not really sure if we ever understand this fully, but can Myrrdraal essentially Travel through shadows? I know they apparently can for short distances, but can they hop all over Randland just by finding dark hallways and shadowy forests and stuff? Even if they can only Travel (or whatever it is they're doing) over short distances, they should be able to find Rand and Mat easily enough using this method. They'd just need to jump from shadowy tree to shadowy tree down the Caemlyn Road until they found them. Instead, they set up a network of the most incompetent DFs they could find and have them wait at various inns down the road. I mean, they're searching for the freaking Dragon Reborn! The best guy they could find to stop their mortal enemy is Paitr?!

Speaking of Paitr, when he touches Rand, Rand gets a weird vision/flashback thing of a bunch of the times Trollocs and Fades and DFs attacked them. Why does this happen? I was wondering if it was a tEotWism that made Rand see visions when he touched a DF, but only a few pages later Mili Skane touches him and nothing happens.

In his fever dream, Rand dreams about pulling Thom along, and we get the first Fisher King reference (aside from the prophecy after the prologue, at least). I never really paid much attention to this before.

Just a random thought, but do Thom and Morgase ever meet up in the series? I don't think so, but can't really remember.

I didn't remember from other reads that Loial had been to Cairhien, Tear, and Illian before going to Caemlyn. I forget if he makes any reference to these travels when he actually goes to Cairhien and Tear later.

Finally, Loial tells Rand that he (Loial) doesn't have a Talent for seeing ta'veren. Is it possible for non-channelers to have Talents? Can Ogier have them?
Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Finally, Loial tells Rand that he (Loial) doesn't have a Talent for seeing ta'veren. Is it possible for non-channelers to have Talents? Can Ogier have them?
Yes, yes and also no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH, Chapter 36, Among the Elders
Alar eyed them each in turn, then settled to a study of Rand. She looked as if she knew things; all the Elders did, but she most of all. "Verin says you are ta'veren," she said at last, "and I can feel it in you. That I can do so means that you must be very strongly ta'veren indeed, for such Talents ever run weakly in us, if at all. Have you drawn Loial, son of Arent son of Halan, into ta'maral'ailen, the Web the Pattern weaves around you?"
Apparently, Ogier don't "see" ta'veren, but "feel it in them", which explains the "no". They can have Talents, though not quite the same set as humans have (Tree Singing is one that humans don't seem to have, for instance), thus explaining the second "yes". And Ogier can't channel, which explains the first "yes".
Old 07-31-2014, 05:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm not really sure if we ever understand this fully, but can Myrrdraal essentially Travel through shadows? I know they apparently can for short distances, but can they hop all over Randland just by finding dark hallways and shadowy forests and stuff?
Yes, Myrddraal can travel through shadows. IIRC, there is one mention of a Fade seeking "the hard edge of shadow needed to Travel" or something to that effect.

So the can't just Travel to anyplace that is dark, they need a 'line of contrast' and the greater the contrast, the easier it is to Travel through that shadow.

I don't know of any limitation other than the need for a line of contrast. A Fade was in Ebou Dar(?) and departed via Shadow Walking, but his destination was unknown.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:51 PM
Elder

Quote:
Apparently, Ogier don't "see" ta'veren, but "feel it in them", which explains the "no". They can have Talents, though not quite the same set as humans have (Tree Singing is one that humans don't seem to have, for instance), thus explaining the second "yes". And Ogier can't channel, which explains the first "yes".
Okay, yeah. I forgot those types of things were considered Talents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Yes, Myrddraal can travel through shadows. IIRC, there is one mention of a Fade seeking "the hard edge of shadow needed to Travel" or something to that effect.

So the can't just Travel to anyplace that is dark, they need a 'line of contrast' and the greater the contrast, the easier it is to Travel through that shadow.

I don't know of any limitation other than the need for a line of contrast. A Fade was in Ebou Dar(?) and departed via Shadow Walking, but his destination was unknown.
Thanks. So I guess Fades basically can Travel anywhere, they just don't for the most part.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
First, why did RJ decide to write these scenes with all the weird flashbacks? I mean, I'm saying this mostly as a joke, and it isn't really confusing or anything, but it just seems like a very odd way to write the whole thing. Maybe RJ was trying to impart some of Rand and Mat's paranoia/confusion on the reader?
Something like that. It's a form of a fairly common literary device. I liked it, despite the confusion, but a lot of people didn't.

Quote:
I'm not really sure if we ever understand this fully, but can Myrrdraal essentially Travel through shadows? I know they apparently can for short distances, but can they hop all over Randland just by finding dark hallways and shadowy forests and stuff? Even if they can only Travel (or whatever it is they're doing) over short distances, they should be able to find Rand and Mat easily enough using this method. They'd just need to jump from shadowy tree to shadowy tree down the Caemlyn Road until they found them. Instead, they set up a network of the most incompetent DFs they could find and have them wait at various inns down the road. I mean, they're searching for the freaking Dragon Reborn! The best guy they could find to stop their mortal enemy is Paitr?!
Fades also get weak when they're too far away from Shayol Ghul for too long. I don't think they were necessarily using the most incompetent Darkfriends they could find; it's rather supposed to demonstrate that Darkfriends were already scared of Rand after what happened to Howal Gode, and it fell to Paitr to serve tea.

Quote:
Speaking of Paitr, when he touches Rand, Rand gets a weird vision/flashback thing of a bunch of the times Trollocs and Fades and DFs attacked them. Why does this happen? I was wondering if it was a tEotWism that made Rand see visions when he touched a DF, but only a few pages later Mili Skane touches him and nothing happens.
I think it was just a mundane flashback. Paitr touching him was an aggression, a sign of his desperation to follow his orders, and it just caused Rand to dwell a moment on the weight of his situation, being chased by everyone.

Quote:
In his fever dream, Rand dreams about pulling Thom along, and we get the first Fisher King reference (aside from the prophecy after the prologue, at least). I never really paid much attention to this before.
I think Rand's dreams of Thom hint at a deleted scene somewhere, where Thom told him about Owyn in more detail. It would explain the Fisher King reference, the queen being wed to the land, and the mention of the Black Ajah when no one in the story had yet mentioned any of those things to Rand. (See ch. 33.) All those details are connected to Owyn, especially since the Black was mentioned in connection with the Red.

Quote:
Just a random thought, but do Thom and Morgase ever meet up in the series? I don't think so, but can't really remember.
I can't recall if they met in the Brandon books, but I don't think they did. I know they didn't meet in the RJ books. But there's a nice scene in TFOH where he meets Bryne.

Quote:
I didn't remember from other reads that Loial had been to Cairhien, Tear, and Illian before going to Caemlyn. I forget if he makes any reference to these travels when he actually goes to Cairhien and Tear later.
He does, but not in great detail. For example, in Cairhien, he says that when he was there before, the area where Barthanes made his manor house (site of the old Ogier grove) was wooded.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Elder

Quote:
I think Rand's dreams of Thom hint at a deleted scene somewhere, where Thom told him about Owyn in more detail. It would explain the Fisher King reference, the queen being wed to the land, and the mention of the Black Ajah when no one in the story had yet mentioned any of those things to Rand. (See ch. 33.) All those details are connected to Owyn, especially since the Black was mentioned in connection with the Red.
Interesting. I was wondering about the Black Ajah thing too. I think Elyas mentioned it, but Thom hadn't. Is the deleted scene just a theory of yours or something from the notes?

Not sure if this is a mistake or not, but when escaping from the Whitecloaks Perrin gets lost in the darkness and needs Lan to call him so he can find his way back from stealing a couple WC cloaks. What happened to his wolf eyes? It was already established that he could see unnaturally well at night in the initial WC attack.

One of the reasons Morgase believes Rand's story is that she's heard a Two Rivers accent before. She also mentions specifically that Bryne and Elaida weren't with her when this happened. Who did she hear? Since Kari's from Andor, and Tam's the only TR person we know of who left the TR, did Morgase meet Tam at some point? Or did one of those weirdos from Taren Ferry venture outside to Caemlyn?

It's interesting that three consecutive Rand PoV chapters all have similar names: "Web of the Pattern," "Weaving of the Web," and "The Web Tightens." Most of the chapters names seem to come from quotes, or at least major themes of the chapters, but these are more abstract (they're the chapters where Rand meets Loial, goes to see Logain, and meets Elayne). Is it just to build up to the significance of his meeting with characters like Elayne, Gawyn, Elaida, etc? Or at least Elaida's revelation that Rand's at the center of everything? (which, in hindsight, should have been a pretty big hint to Rand that he was the one the DO was after--assuming he believed Elaida).

Since Moiraine and co. were presumably traveling as fast as possible to Caemlyn (after rescuing Perrin) to reach Rand and Mat in time, how could the Whitecloaks have possibly beat them there, traveling cross-country, encumbered with all kinds of tents and stuff, and with 200 men? Unless they just sent a scout ahead or something...

Is it ever mentioned where the Trolloc army outside Caemlyn goes after everyone escapes through the Ways?

This is just kind of a stupid observation on my part, but how on earth did the Maidens and Jain Farstrider happen to stumble upon the exact same news in the Blight (same words and everything) seventeen years apart from each other? Was Ishamael having nightly "we'll blind the Eye of the World and slay the Great Serpent! Woo!" speeches in the Town every night for several decades?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Interesting. I was wondering about the Black Ajah thing too. I think Elyas mentioned it, but Thom hadn't. Is the deleted scene just a theory of yours or something from the notes?
I forgot to look for it when I had the chance. I hope to go again some day.

Quote:
One of the reasons Morgase believes Rand's story is that she's heard a Two Rivers accent before. She also mentions specifically that Bryne and Elaida weren't with her when this happened. Who did she hear? Since Kari's from Andor, and Tam's the only TR person we know of who left the TR, did Morgase meet Tam at some point?
That has always been the going theory, but I can't remember whether it has been debunked or not.

Quote:
It's interesting that three consecutive Rand PoV chapters all have similar names: "Web of the Pattern," "Weaving of the Web," and "The Web Tightens." Most of the chapters names seem to come from quotes, or at least major themes of the chapters, but these are more abstract (they're the chapters where Rand meets Loial, goes to see Logain, and meets Elayne). Is it just to build up to the significance of his meeting with characters like Elayne, Gawyn, Elaida, etc? Or at least Elaida's revelation that Rand's at the center of everything? (which, in hindsight, should have been a pretty big hint to Rand that he was the one the DO was after--assuming he believed Elaida).
It's all to do with Rand's role and how the Pattern is using him to shape events.

Quote:
Is it ever mentioned where the Trolloc army outside Caemlyn goes after everyone escapes through the Ways?
It was probably not quite an army. I don't think there was any mention of them after.

Quote:
This is just kind of a stupid observation on my part, but how on earth did the Maidens and Jain Farstrider happen to stumble upon the exact same news in the Blight (same words and everything) seventeen years apart from each other? Was Ishamael having nightly "we'll blind the Eye of the World and slay the Great Serpent! Woo!" speeches in the Town every night for several decades?
Farstrider was given the information by Ishamael himself, who claimed it was all part of his plan to draw Rand to Shayol Ghul.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Elder

Ok, theory time. I've never heard of this theory before, which means I must be the first to think of it.

I have heard people mention that maybe Mat is King Aemon reborn. Which is silly, of course. But what if Mat is Caar reborn? All of a sudden it's sounding pretty juicy. Huh? Huh?

LOL. Seriously though, this is a theory I just came up with that most likely is of no importance anyway now that the series is over with. But anyway...

Mat = Caar al Thorin al Toren reborn

First, I'll quote Moiraine's story about Aridhol, since I tend to forget most of this part right after reading it:
Quote:
tEotW 19
"Once it was called Aridhol," Moiraine replied, "and was one of the Ten Nations, the lands that made the Second Covenant, the lands that stood against the Dark One from the first days after the Breaking of the World. In the days when Thorin al Toren al Ban was King of Manetheren, the King of Aridhol was Balwen Mayel, Balwen Ironhand. In a twilight of despair during the Trolloc Wars, when it seemed the Father of Lies must surely conquer, the man called Mordeth came to Balwen's court."

"Before Mordeth had long been in the city he had Balwen's ear, and soon he was second only to the King. Mordeth whispered poison in Balwen's ear, and Aridhol began to change. Aridhol drew in on itself, hardened. It was said that some would rather see Trollocs come than the men of Aridhol. The victory of the Light is all. That was the battlecry Mordeth gave them, and the men of Aridhol shouted it while their deeds abandoned the Light."

"The story is too long to tell in full, and too grim, and only fragments are known, even in Tar Valon. How Thorin's son, Caar, came to win Aridhol back to the Second Covenant, and Balwen sat his throne, a withered shell with the light of madness in his eyes, laughing while Mordeth smiled at his side and ordered the deaths of Caar and the embassy as Friends of the Dark. How Prince Caar came to be known as Caar One-Hand. How he escaped the dungeons of Aridhol and fled alone to the Borderlands with Mordeth's unnatural assassins at his heels. How there he met Rhea, who did not know who he was, and married her, and set the skein of the Pattern that led to his death at her hands, and hers by her own hand before his tomb, and the Fall of Aleth-Loriel. How the armies of Manetheren came to avenge Caar and found the gates of Aridhol torn down, no living things inside the walls, but something worse than death. No enemy had come to Aridhol but Aridhol. Suspicion and hate had given birth to something that fed on that which created it, something locked in the bedrock on which the city stood. Mashadar waits still, hungering. Men spoke of Aridhol no more. They named it Shadar Logoth, the Place Where the Shadow Waits, or more simply Shadow's Waiting."

"Mordeth alone was not consumed by Mashadar, but he was snared by it, and he, too, has waited within these walls through the long centuries. Others have seen him. Some he has influenced through gifts that twist the mind and taint the spirit, the taint waxing and waning until it rules...or kills. If ever he convinces someone to accompany him to the walls, to the boundary of Mashadar's power, he will be able to consume the soul of that person. Mordeth will leave, wearing the body of the one he worse than killed, to wreak his evil on the world again."
Not sure if all that's really necessary, but whatever. My theory is that the ruby dagger was Mordeth's personal dagger, and that he used it to cut off Caar's hand. The fact that Mat's soul had already been influenced by the dagger would explain a few things.

First, it's possible that Mat grabbing the dagger caused Mordeth to stop attacking them in the treasure room. Mordeth freaks out when they mention Tar Valon, then starts to swell up after Rand announces he has no shadow. Mordeth swells up to attack, and everyone dives back on the treasure. Then Mordeth let's out an "agonized scream," shrinks, and goes flying through the crack in the wall. Rand looks at Mat several times in this scene, and it's pretty clear Mat didn't have the dagger until just before super Mordeth screamed and blew up. The point is that Mat picking up the dagger--and that dagger specifically--somehow affected Mordeth. I'm not so sure it was a physical thing so much as Mordeth somehow was able to recognize who had picked up that specific dagger, and it scared him away. His "You're all dead!" cries make sense if you assume he's referring to Caar and the embassy.

Second, Moiraine mentions that she is surprised how long Mat managed to survive with the dagger once she meets him in Caemlyn. Well, sort of: "It is a wonder you got this far, carrying this." Perhaps the fact that his soul is already connected to the dagger has something to do with the fact that he can hold off its effects for a substantial period of time.

And finally, Mat is still immune to the dagger at the end of aMoL. There's probably a better explaination for why this is, but again, it could be his connection to Caar.

I'm wondering who Rhea is, if anyone. Or what Aleth-Loriel is, aside from shampoo. Maybe they have parallels in Mat's life? Getting chased by unnatural assassins sounds familiar, at least.

Also, FWIW, Moiraine's whole story is very LOTRy. A lot of the names are dwarven (Thorin, Toren, Ironhand--and of course these are probably Norse as well) or Elven (Aleth-Loriel). And the writing, particularly the long third paragraph, sounds like something straight from Tolkien. Not sure if any of this means anything, though.

Well, that's it I guess. Probably pretty stupid, but I just thought of it and I don't think anyone else has.

EDIT: I almost forgot to add the most obvious bit of evidence. Carr's name begins with "ca" and so does Cauthon. So that proves it right there.

Last edited by rand; 08-01-2014 at 02:10 AM. Reason: I don't have to tell if I don't want to...
Old 08-01-2014, 03:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Well, it's possible he's Caar reborn but he has Aemon's memories through the Old Blood, and the battle he remembered (when he woke up from being Healed in TDR) was after Caar's death. Cauthon might be derived from Caarson (Caar's son), but then al'Caar is truer to the original naming conventions.

In other words, most people who were paying attention thought Mat was merely descended from Aemon rather than being Aemon reborn.

Mat is immune to the dagger because he was Healed of its influence in Tar Valon.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Fades also get weak when they're too far away from Shayol Ghul for too long. I don't think they were necessarily using the most incompetent Darkfriends they could find; it's rather supposed to demonstrate that Darkfriends were already scared of Rand after what happened to Howal Gode, and it fell to Paitr to serve tea.
I am not sure that it is true in general that Fades suffer anything if they are far away from SG. It always seemed to me that that was a specific problem for Shaidar Haran, the Super Fade (ref: end of chapter 40 ACoS).

Do you have any indication at all that it is a weakness shared by other Fades?
Old 08-01-2014, 05:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I am not sure that it is true in general that Fades suffer anything if they are far away from SG. It always seemed to me that that was a specific problem for Shaidar Haran, the Super Fade (ref: end of chapter 40 ACoS).

Do you have any indication at all that it is a weakness shared by other Fades?
Do you have any indication at all that it wasn't? Why would Shaidar Haran have some weakness that other Fades lacked?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Do you have any indication at all that it wasn't? Why would Shaidar Haran have some weakness that other Fades lacked?
For the same reason that Shadar Haran smiles when other Fades don't -- He is a direct avatar (or ROV) of the DO.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Because his direct link to the DO depends on the DO being able to maintain that link, and it was easier for the DO to do so at SG than anywhere else in the world.

SH was an avatar of the DO, basically a way for the DO to directly touch the world. It makes a lot of sense for that to be (mostly) limited to the region where he can touch the world, which means the Pit of Doom.
On the other hand, there is no sensible reason why Myrddraal in general (and they alone amongst Shadowspawn) should have such a problem.