art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 AM
Ancient

Jalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Jalyn Send a message via MSN to Jalyn Send a message via Yahoo to Jalyn

I'm not at all sure how what you've mentioned above makes sense mythos-wise, but arc wise it's interesting. Dresden keeps thinking that he's got a handle on who the big bad is, but it keeps shifting on him (and us.) Vampires are the great evil! No, it's a shadow council, no it's fairies, no it really IS vampires! Wait, it's who we say here. I can't decide if Butcher has no idea where he's going from book to book or if he understands perfectly his end game and means to keep us guessing. Then again, I've read each of these exactly once, often via audiobook (which are awesome if you like audiobooks) while doing things that actually take concentration so I may have missed major foreshadowing items.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalyn View Post
I'm not at all sure how what you've mentioned above makes sense mythos-wise, but arc wise it's interesting. Dresden keeps thinking that he's got a handle on who the big bad is, but it keeps shifting on him (and us.) Vampires are the great evil! No, it's a shadow council, no it's fairies, no it really IS vampires! Wait, it's who we say here. I can't decide if Butcher has no idea where he's going from book to book or if he understands perfectly his end game and means to keep us guessing. Then again, I've read each of these exactly once, often via audiobook (which are awesome if you like audiobooks) while doing things that actually take concentration so I may have missed major foreshadowing items.
My feeling is he knows what he's heading towards now, but I wouldn't buy that he has done from the start (I don't actually know if anyone is trying to sell that though). I would guess the main enemy is the black council and the outsiders, though who is on top in that relationship (either the Black Council is using the outsiders as a stick to hit people with to further some other goal, or the Black Council think they're doing that but actually the Outsiders just want to get Inside). There's a few players left to shake out (dragons with unspellable names, the Denarians, maybe Mavra, probably others I'm forgetting)
Old 12-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Still reading it. Still giggling at the Whatsup Dock.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Still reading it. Still giggling at the Whatsup Dock.
The only reason I took more than a few hours to read Cold Days is because I had to go to work and I laughed out loud so many times at that book. Especially when it comes to the Tao of Pratchett.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Youngling

eht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant futureeht slat meit has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalyn View Post
I can't decide if Butcher has no idea where he's going from book to book or if he understands perfectly his end game and means to keep us guessing. Then again, I've read each of these exactly once, often via audiobook (which are awesome if you like audiobooks) while doing things that actually take concentration so I may have missed major foreshadowing items.
I think he's got it mapped out. Dresden's perspective, as you described it, fits perfectly. He's former small potatoes being shifted further and further out of his depth with each book. I'm a bit surprised that Cold Days is already introducing Outsiders, but what I'm reading between the lines suggests that there's far deeper waters to troll yet, and all of his friends will be going down there with him.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Hero of the Horn

Enigma will become famous soon enoughEnigma will become famous soon enough

I think the author even said that because we read the book from Harry's pov he can be wrong about things and he is a bit like WOT Mat in that he lies to himself about things.

I picked up the recent books first and am no starting from the begining with the first two done but that way its easy to see how much Harry has powered up over the series. Even pre Winter Knight gig Harry in at the beginng of changes had a lot more power that Harry book 1. It makes sense that he as he keeps peeling back layers of the onion he things this is it, finally I've figured who is pulling the strings where as in reality he is still working his way up the food chain and is yet to find who exactly is behing all the bad things that are going on.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

So, I've reread the entire series from start to the end of Skin Game. After finishing Skin Game, it's been bothering me... there's been a tone change since Changes.
Spoiler:
And Butters becoming a Jedi Knight of the Cross feels a bit like Jumping the Shark. I mean, I loved it, because I'm a total geek, but it felt ham-handed.

He seems to be going more silly and fairy-tale-ish, with more gods and bigger monsters than before. It's hard to put my finger on it.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett

Last edited by Gilshalos Sedai; 08-07-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The appropriate tag is "spoiler" not "spoilers".
Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

Gracias.

I must be tired. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why it wasn't working.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett