art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Youngling

cocoscacao is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My views on WOT, spoilers ahead

I've just finished AMOL, and after reading some reviews of others on the forums, I just had to write my own.

All I can say is, damn!

This series was the most disappointing thing I've ever read. Why? Because this was

the story that had the potential to be the best fantasy novel ever. But...

First of all, unlike most of other people out there, I actually like descriptions, they

make much clearer picture of characters, or land, so you can fully dive into the imaginary world, and WOT has tone of it.

Speaking of imaginary world, this one is the best I've encountered so far. Complex,
but just enough in size that you can keep track of all places.
Now, the story ( in the beginning at least ), was intriguing ( although not original ) and has laid a solid foundation for the plot to come.

Magic system was just great. Easy to understand, had a logic of its own, and it also limited its users not to do new and unexplained things whenever they needed it, thus allowing a reader to follow duels between magic users with such understanding that no other book out there has ( at least I don't know of any) . The differences between male and female part of the Source were also great.

So what ruined it all? Let's start with Aes Sedai.

In the first few novels, Jordan introduced us with several Aes Sedai, but mostly with Moiraine, Siuan and Verin. Those three women are the only one that deserve to be called Aes Sedai, the rest, simply put, are bunch of idiots, who totally ruined the
feeling of some super powerful, mystery shrouded, dominant faction in the world.
But why? Well, later in the novels, Egwene has a huge part in the plot with the white tower, ( this isn't Egwene bashing thread ) and you'll have to agree that her ( and most of other characters actually ) are pretty damn stupid. So how does "good" but dumb character outwits "evil" or other opponent characters? Simply make the other characters even dumber. That, unfortunately, has a major impact on the story, it becomes stupid and boring. Jordan messed up all political intrigues in his books, and the quality of novels spiraled down at the point where Rand ( and others ) had to deal with it.

Now this wouldn't be so much frustrating if ( in this case Elaida ) remained true to her stupidity
to the end, but on several occasions, she shows up more brain than Egwene and most of others. This contradiction ruins her as a realistic character completely. She also is not the only case.
Speaking of characters, since WOT has more than 1000 of them, virtually none of the main characters are developed significantly. Apart from Rand and Aviendha, others remained almost the same to me.

Now, a few words about Elayne. Her chapters, I assume, are torn straight from the children's fairytale. This character would be killed in the first half of the series if there was at least a touch of realism. Not just her, but the rest of nobility who opposed Rand, or followed him unwillingly. Seriously, if the nobility in the books is that dumb, how the hell are they still holding their power over some area?

Several other things,

- Saidin is cleansed, and white tower is oblivious of that for next 3 or 4 books?
- Seanchan, the most powerful nation, barely participate in the last battle right in front of them?
- Padan Fain grows to something more evil and powerful than the forsaken, but his story feels unfinished. Shame.
- Two river longbowmens are deadlier than any larger trained armies of any other nation.

There are probably more things I would mention, but I can't remember them right now. What a waste.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoscacao View Post
This series was the most disappointing thing I've ever read.
Don't read the Sword of Truth series. Of course, there's plenty of reason not to read that anyway, but when it comes to being disappointing in its outcome, it beats WoT by an enormous margin, on top of the other reasons not to read it.

Quote:
So how does "good" but dumb character outwits "evil" or other opponent characters? Simply make the other characters even dumber. That, unfortunately, has a major impact on the story, it becomes stupid and boring.
Remember the old saying: in the land of the stupid, Egwene is Amyrlin.

Quote:
Seriously, if the nobility in the books is that dumb, how the hell are they still holding their power over some area?
Actually, that may be a survival trait. Smart nobility starts plotting against each other, kills each other (and lots of bystanders, of course) off, and thus is selected against. Dumb nobility, on the other hand, merely plods along and allows the peasants on their estates to get on with their lives (apart from the peasants who get killed by noble stupidity, of course), so that all in all, this is fairly stable outside extreme circumstances.

Quote:
- Saidin is cleansed, and white tower is oblivious of that for next 3 or 4 books?
An important part of AS training is learning that the WT is the centre and repository of all knowledge. Thus, if it can't be found in the WT library, then it probably is not real. Which works well for every day situations, but not in the Dragon Age. Basically a variant of the "smart nobles are usuaully not a good idea" issue.

Quote:
- Two river longbowmens are deadlier than any larger trained armies of any other nation.
That is at least in part because those other armies haven't had the time to figure out how to deal with such archers. In the 100 Years War, the French army also lost a number of times very badly to such longbowmen, but eventually they figured out that they could overcome that if they simply followed the orders of some random peasant girl. If the Shadow hadn't killed Else but had instead put her at the head of their armies, they would have won.

I agree with you on a bunch of points too, but I haven't bothered to comment on those here. Oh, and welcome to the board.

Last edited by GonzoTheGreat; 12-15-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing Gonzo says (particularly about Egwene) is to be taken seriously. Then again, I have my own biases about Egwene, so there.

To be honest, I often have the opposite problem when reading massive epics: having had the (un)fortune to provide trainings for many, many people - highly educated, highly paid professionals, I might add... People are surprisingly, depressingly, frustratingly stupid. If the protagonist of any given book (Mistborn is a good example) somehow outwits ALL of the superbaddies, there is something seriously wrong. I mean, unless that is their superpower, like Sherlock Holmes. Also, "Never attribute to malice that which can easily be explained by stupidity"

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 12-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Nothing Gonzo says (particularly about Egwene) is to be taken seriously. Then again, I have my own biases about Egwene, so there.

To be honest, I often have the opposite problem when reading massive epics: having had the (un)fortune to provide trainings for many, many people - highly educated, highly paid professionals, I might add... People are surprisingly, depressingly, frustratingly stupid. If the protagonist of any given book (Mistborn is a good example) somehow outwits ALL of the superbaddies, there is something seriously wrong. I mean, unless that is their superpower, like Sherlock Holmes. Also, "Never attribute to malice that which can easily be explained by stupidity"
Every single day I am on this earth, I run into a person dumber than I ever thought possible...I am never disappointed by the stupidity of humanity.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-16-2014, 04:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Every single day I am on this earth, I run into a person dumber than I ever thought possible...I am never disappointed by the stupidity of humanity.
Get out of the city. Once you manage to reach a place where you don't meet anyone at all during a whole day, that pattern will be broken. Then you can start being disappointed at how stupid humanity often is. After that, anything will be possible for you.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Youngling

Tollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of light

I don't want to be rude, but I guess I'm going to be...

I didn't particularly care to hear about how people disliked the book when it came out two years ago, why post this now?
Old 12-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollingtoy View Post
I don't want to be rude, but I guess I'm going to be...

I didn't particularly care to hear about how people disliked the book when it came out two years ago, why post this now?
Yeah, man, if you didn't read this series when the rest of us did, then we are totally uninterested in your opinion on anything ever.

Oh, wait. Yes, that was rude.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Youngling

cocoscacao is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, I know, but waiting for translation sucks.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Youngling

Tollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of lightTollingtoy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon View Post
Yeah, man, if you didn't read this series when the rest of us did, then we are totally uninterested in your opinion on anything ever.

Oh, wait. Yes, that was rude.

The point is, this has already been beaten to death, resurrected and then beaten again here, I'm not sure what this adds to the conversation about it.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
The point is, this has already been beaten to death, resurrected and then beaten again here, I'm not sure what this adds to the conversation about it.
How about a feeling of deja vu?
Old 01-02-2015, 02:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Maybe it adds the enthusiasm of a newcomer to the series?

Nah, you're right, screw those guys. Don't know what I was thinking.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoscacao View Post
yeah, I know, but waiting for translation sucks.
No worries, I'm sure that does suck. Welcome to the boards, don't mind the old cynics.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

It's probably starting a new conversation for those who just got to this point. Not everyone started reading the series back in the 80's, y'know.

I personally don't understand the Egwene hatred. Though, if i could be arsed, i could read countless threads on that topic.

Yes, most of the nobles are selfish and short-sighted. That was kind of the point. Their back-stabbing shenanigans were all that was needed to stay on top when the world was normal. But the Dragon and the Last Battle upended the world order, and they had to sink or swim with the rest of humanity. Some would say that it's a cautionary tale.

If the Shadow had just waited for humanity to kill itself, they would've won. But by giving them something to band together over and fight, people stepped up and the bad guys lost.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 01-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Don't read the Sword of Truth series. Of course, there's plenty of reason not to read that anyway, but when it comes to being disappointing in its outcome, it beats WoT by an enormous margin, on top of the other reasons not to read it.
If you want to be disappointed in the end of a series read "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn" by Tad Williams.

It is LAUGHABLY bad. Learn to use stairs, Mr. Bad Guy

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Learn to use stairs, Mr. Bad Guy
Why? For a long time, the Daleks did fairly well without that skill, and acquiring it doesn't seem to have improved their effectiveness any.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Why? For a long time, the Daleks did fairly well without that skill, and acquiring it doesn't seem to have improved their effectiveness any.
Oh Gonzo, you HAVE to read this series now. The ending will leave you amazed.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire