art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future
Default Wired's Best of 2014 List

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/best-of-best-of-books/

Whenever I make money, I usually spend a good amount of it on books that look interesting or have been recommended to me. I do not think I will ever finish every book that I buy.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 01-14-2015, 05:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

So do you read a lot of non sci fi / fantasy?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:39 PM
Elder

Res_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant futureRes_Ipsa has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel View Post
So do you read a lot of non sci fi / fantasy?
I do, I primarily read history and political science. I just finished Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy. I started it ages ago, but finally finished it. In terms of political science, I recently finished retired Kentucky Supreme Court Justice Wintersheimer's book about the cases he authored on the Kentucky Supreme Court.

" 'Looks like the game can be won after all,' [Mat] said. 'Tell the foxes I'm mighty pleased with this key they gave me. Also, you can all go rot in a flaming pit of fire and ashes, you unwashed lumps on a pig's backside. Have a grand bloody day.' "

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day."
Old 01-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold

Ah sounds good.
Altough weirdly enough i dont read many history books or political science books. Dont know why.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:38 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Altough weirdly enough i dont read many history books or political science books. Dont know why.
Because there's too much fantasy to get through first to bother with anything else?

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 01-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Elder

I could use some more fantasy reading, the problem is that RJ and GRRM and JR Rowling have ruined me.

Any good recommendations for a worthy series?

Old 01-17-2015, 01:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

There are so many good series, although it really depends on what you like

So what do you want to read

Old 01-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res_Ipsa View Post
I could use some more fantasy reading, the problem is that RJ and GRRM and JR Rowling have ruined me.

I just started a re-read of the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. It's not terrible deep or complicated, but it is well written.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Hmm, i would advise other series to read

- Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. He is an amazing writer. Every book in the series has a slightly different style, should be read in non chronological order and are short fun to read books.

- the multiple series books written by Robin Hobb. These are more dramatic and harder to read, but i think it's well written and + there are many huge books.

- Engineer trilogy by K.J. Parker

- C.S. Friedman

Old 01-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Elder

Quote:
There are so many good series, although it really depends on what you like

So what do you want to read
I like high fantasy, but I guess I should explain what I mean by that by explaining what I do not like.

I like sweeping epics with interesting characters and a central good/evil theme. I admit, I like BS, but I find his need to find evil as something less than evil a bad thing.

I like an inordinate amount of detail. What others did not like in RJ or Tolkien, I enjoy or at least it does not bother me.

I do not like an overly simplified plot resolution, either deus ex machina or too easy. For example, I enjoyed Raymond Feist's Riftwar saga, but quickly lost interest after book three because they all seemed to have the sitcom ending where everyone ends up laughing after 30mins.

I do not like rehashing stories, like Shanara. I read the first few and they all seemed like a rehash after the first.

Based on that, any recommendations?

Quote:
Hmm, i would advise other series to read

- Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. He is an amazing writer. Every book in the series has a slightly different style, should be read in non chronological order and are short fun to read books.

- the multiple series books written by Robin Hobb. These are more dramatic and harder to read, but i think it's well written and + there are many huge books.

- Engineer trilogy by K.J. Parker

- C.S. Friedman
Adding them to my list, ty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
I just started a re-read of the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. It's not terrible deep or complicated, but it is well written.
Ok, got it, ty. Simple can be enjoyable. Perhaps even a strength when you consider the downfall of many series is their ambitions were lofty and the quality could not be maintained for long.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second the recommendation of Robin Hobb, she is amazing! I think you'd like the level of detail and balance of good and evil.

Based on your wish for evil to be evil, I think you wouldn't like Eriksson. However, that makes me think of another military Fantasy series, which I think you'd like, "The Thousand Names" by Django Wexler. It's a sort of historical fantasy, reminiscent of the Napoleonic campaigns, but then with a big looming evil. It's a page-turner with lots of interesting details.

Speaking of Napoleonic military books, there's a chance you might like Bernard Cornwell's stuff, particularly the Sharpe books, though the Beginning of Britain stories are fun too. they aren't Fantasy, but rather extremely meticulously researched Historical military fiction. The best battle (strategic) descriptions ever. Perhaps worth noting is that Bernard Cornwell was consulted for the WoT Last Battle On the down side though, the plots of the books can get a little repetitive, but then that's a bit... unavoidable because he picks big battles/military campaigns from history and then structures his books around that.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 01-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
I'd second the recommendation of Robin Hobb, she is amazing! I think you'd like the level of detail and balance of good and evil.

Based on your wish for evil to be evil, I think you wouldn't like Eriksson. However, that makes me think of another military Fantasy series, which I think you'd like, "The Thousand Names" by Django Wexler. It's a sort of historical fantasy, reminiscent of the Napoleonic campaigns, but then with a big looming evil. It's a page-turner with lots of interesting details.

Speaking of Napoleonic military books, there's a chance you might like Bernard Cornwell's stuff, particularly the Sharpe books, though the Beginning of Britain stories are fun too. they aren't Fantasy, but rather extremely meticulously researched Historical military fiction. The best battle (strategic) descriptions ever. Perhaps worth noting is that Bernard Cornwell was consulted for the WoT Last Battle On the down side though, the plots of the books can get a little repetitive, but then that's a bit... unavoidable because he picks big battles/military campaigns from history and then structures his books around that.
Ok, added. Thank you. More to look for at Half-Price Books. Tbh, I have never read any military fiction, I will look into those. I went ahead and picked up "The Thousand Names" from Amazon, can't beat a hardcover for a buck.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
http://www.wired.com/2015/01/best-of-best-of-books/

Whenever I make money, I usually spend a good amount of it on books that look interesting or have been recommended to me. I do not think I will ever finish every book that I buy.
Yup...that's the joy of buying them. I probably have 30-40 books that I haven't read yet. That doesn't stop me from buying more though.

Though I need to buy at least 2-3 new large bookcases to hold them all.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok, added. Thank you. More to look for at Half-Price Books. Tbh, I have never read any military fiction, I will look into those. I went ahead and picked up "The Thousand Names" from Amazon, can't beat a hardcover for a buck.
I feel awful saying this but Harry Turtledove is a guilty pleasure of mine. The books (his alternate American history series) aren't that great but they are a fun read...especially if you love Civil War history.

If you want any suggestions on history books, I'd imagine yks, Khoram and me would be happy to help. Uno too most likely.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-06-2015, 12:06 AM
Editor-in-Chief (with tenure)

Uno has disabled reputation

Quote:

I thought Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series was rather good. Not like high literature or anything, but an amusing enough read. As these things tend to go with me, I picked up the first volume at an airport.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I feel awful saying this but Harry Turtledove is a guilty pleasure of mine. The books (his alternate American history series) aren't that great but they are a fun read...especially if you love Civil War history.

If you want any suggestions on history books, I'd imagine yks, Khoram and me would be happy to help. Uno too most likely.
Meh, sometimes you read just for amusement rather than edification. I read Paul Hoffman's Left Hand of God series over the holidays. It's not going to be a classic ever, I think, but it was entertaining, and that was what I was looking for.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
Meh, sometimes you read just for amusement rather than edification. I read Paul Hoffman's Left Hand of God series over the holidays. It's not going to be a classic ever, I think, but it was entertaining, and that was what I was looking for.
Definitely...I like to refer to them as "great airport books" for obvious reasons. I believe other people would probably call them "summer beach reads" and what not.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Definitely...I like to refer to them as "great airport books" for obvious reasons. I believe other people would probably call them "summer beach reads" and what not.
There's an entire genre of books that is only published for sale at airports, I strongly suspect.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uno View Post
There's an entire genre of books that is only published for sale at airports, I strongly suspect.
James Patterson's next book (well the next book one of his ghost-writers does at least). I wonder if he even submits the story outlines that he used to at least give when doing that setup. Same with Tom Clancy towards the end or any number of other "popular" authors sadly.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
James Patterson's next book (well the next book one of his ghost-writers does at least). I wonder if he even submits the story outlines that he used to at least give when doing that setup. Same with Tom Clancy towards the end or any number of other "popular" authors sadly.
Yeah, Patterson comes to mind. And Thomas Clancy. Those books only exist in airports. Possibly they spontaneously generate there.