art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 03-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Youngling

isamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura about
Default TGH re-read: Moiraine's questions and answer

In ch 22; Watchers:

"And will you find your answers where you are going?" Vandene asked.
"I may already have found one I did not know I sought. I only hope I am not too late..."

To what is Moiraine referring? It seems her questions to Vandene a few pages earlier were all rather direct. From here, Moiraine and Lan completely disappear and when next we see them on Toman Head, Moiraine intimates they have been there for some time and working against the Seanchan. Was this her "answer"? But the Dark Prophecy in Fal Dara mentioned Toman Head explicitly ("The Watchers wait on Toman Head), so was her "answer" simply confirmation this was tied to the Dragon Reborn? Or am I missing something entirely.

One of my points of confusion for this has always been: where the heck does she disappear to for so long? If my math is correct, after ch22, Moiraine isn't seen again for 5 months or more. Is something going on here, or is this a simple literary choice on RJ's part to develop the ta'veren away from Moiraine and show us more of Verin?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Part of it is that Rand & Co need to develop away from their babysitter's eyes...and part of it is that Moiraine needs to improve her own skill set (do that research, learn Balefire, etc). Just the travel time from Fal Dara to Toman Head alone would have eaten up a good chunk of that 5 months if not nearly all of it. You're talking about around 3000 miles as the crow flies and, in reality, it was probably a much longer trip depending on which route they took.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-09-2015, 12:20 AM
Youngling

isamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura aboutisamu237 has a spectacular aura about

I suppose the distances would account for the time gone. Looking back at the map and remembering Vandene/Adeleas live on the Shienar/Arafel border.
Maybe I'm just reading too much into this passage, but if Toman Head is an "answer" and especially "one I did not know I sought," that makes no sense to me.

Taking a closer look at ch22:

"After the white-haired Aes Sedai left, Moiraine gathered her cloak and, muttering to herself, went into the garden. There was something in what Vandene had said that tugged at her mind, but she could not remember what it was. An answer, or a hint to an answer, for a question she had not asked--but she could not bring the question to mind, either.
The garden was small, like the house, but neat even in moonlight aided by the yellow glow from teh cottage windows, with sandy walks between careful beds of flowers. She settleed her cloak loosely on her shoulders against the soft coolness of the night. What was the answer, and what was the question?

So the answer will not be DIRECTLY related to: Toman Head, Shadar Logoth, or Lanfear, but will be related to one of them in some way.
The only thing I can think of is the true nature of Fain. Moiraine reveals this at the end of TGH when talking to Rand, and the answers to both Toman Head and Shadar Logoth would have given her hints about this.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu237 View Post
In ch 22; Watchers:

"I may already have found one I did not know I sought. I only hope I am not too late..."

To what is Moiraine referring? It seems her questions to Vandene a few pages earlier were all rather direct. From here, Moiraine and Lan completely disappear and when next we see them on Toman Head, Moiraine intimates they have been there for some time and working against the Seanchan. Was this her "answer"? But the Dark Prophecy in Fal Dara mentioned Toman Head explicitly ("The Watchers wait on Toman Head), so was her "answer" simply confirmation this was tied to the Dragon Reborn? Or am I missing something entirely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH
Ch. 22

"Shadar Logoth!" Vandene snorted. "In brief, the city was destroyed by its own hate, every living thing except Mordeth, the councilor who began it all, using the tactics of the Darkfriends against the Darkfriends, and he now lies trapped there waiting for a soul to steal.....

[...]

After the white-haired Aes Sedai left, Moiraine gathered her cloak and, muttering to herself, went into the garden. There was something in what Vandene had said that tugged at her mind, but she could not remember what it was. An answer, or a hint to an answer, for a question she had not asked – but she could not bring the question to mind, either.

The garden was small, like the house, but neat even in moonlight aided by the yellow glow from the cottage windows, with sandy walks between careful beds of flowers. She settled her cloak loosely on her shoulders against the soft coolness of the night. What was the answer, and what was the question?

[...]

Fear the Draghkar's kiss. Once those lips touched her, she would be as good as dead, to be drained of soul, then of life. Whoever found her, even if they came as the Draghkar let her fall, would find a corpse without a mark and cold as if dead two days. And if they came before she was dead, what they found would be worse, and not really her at all any longer.

[...]

"I may already have found one I did not know I sought. I only hope I am not too late....."

Ch. 49

"I did not send Verin." Moiraine frowned. "She did that on her own. You are of interest to a great many people, Rand. Did Fain find you, or you him?"

The sudden change of topic took him by surprise. "Fain? No. A fine hero I make. I tried to rescue Egwene, and Min did it before me. Fain said he would hurt Emond's Field if I didn't face him, and I never laid eyes on him. Did he go with the Seanchan, too?"

Moiraine shook her head. "I do not know. I wish I did. But it is as well you did not find him, not until you know what he is, at least."

"He's a Darkfriend."

"More than that. Worse than that. Padan Fain was the Dark One's creature to the depths of his soul, but I believe that in Shadar Logoth he fell afoul of Mordeth, who was as vile in fighting the Shadow as ever the Shadow itself was. Mordeth tried to consume Fain's soul, to have a human body again, but found a soul that had been touched directly by the Dark One, and what resulted ... What resulted was neither Padan Fain nor Mordeth, but something far more evil, a blend of the two. Fain – let us call him that – is more dangerous than you can believe. You might not have survived such a meeting, and if you had, you might have been worse than turned to the Shadow."

Last edited by Terez; 03-09-2015 at 12:37 AM.