art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): Anonymous,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin View Post
I'm not sure how I'll react if my book geek doesn't like the Wheel of Time...
She's going to give it back and say "You know, I think Jordan stole a bunch of this from Terry Goodkind"

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
She's going to give it back and say "You know, I think Jordan stole a bunch of this from Terry Goodkind"
That's just... just...

*shudder*

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which would imply that tam had allowed her to read Goodkind....does anyone have the number for child protection services?

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Lol, this thread is so full of awesome!
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I was riding my bike into work today (hey, its a great way to stay in shape) and I had all sorts of ideas in response to this thread. The mind tends to wander when you're pedaling up and down hills for 12 miles. Thoughts included...

1. What if she becomes a Dragonmounter instead of a Theorylander?

2. You gotta be careful about her talking to boy WoT fans of that same age...all they've got on their mind is being Warder Bonded.

3. Every time she comes to you with a question, you absolutely must answer with "Read and Find Out"

4. Do you dare talk to her about black cords and two souls?

5. Will she think that its intuitively obvious that Graendal killed Asmo?

6. What happens if she says she wants to be Green Ajah? Or even worse...Red Ajah?!?

7. If she asks about pillowfriends...man that's gonna be awkward for Tam....cant really RAFO that one.

That's all I can remember from my ride in...mostly I remember being cold as it was 35 degrees out this morning.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 04-15-2015, 08:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's all I can remember from my ride in...mostly I remember being cold as it was 35 degrees out this morning.
It's only between 20 and 25 here, and that's very nice weather to ride a bicycle. For Dutch standards, at least.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
It's only between 20 and 25 here, and that's very nice weather to ride a bicycle. For Dutch standards, at least.
35 F...which is around 1-2 C for a point of reference (Dav knows full well Gonzo is just being silly and understood that from the start).

Old 04-15-2015, 09:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, it is you who is being silly in using the old royalist unit instead of the proper Revolutionary one.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Actually, it is you who is being silly in using the old royalist unit instead of the proper Revolutionary one.
I should have been more scientific and simply said it was about 275 K out.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Now that I think about it: do they use the same foot (measure of distance) in Tear, Tar Valon and Rhuidean?
Old 04-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

I'm a bit surprised that I'm the only one speaking up so far with this perspective, but I would have encouraged her to wait a year or two before starting to read the series. We're all fans of the series - that's why we're here, after all. So I get why people are encouraging anyone to read the books.

For me, it's not a question of content. As many others have pointed out, Jordan does a fine job of alluding to things obliquely rather than saying it outright (it took me a few re-reads of the scene where Perrin walks in on Moiraine to understand what had happened). I also don't remember the early books as being overly graphic. Even the latter books (once we see the One Power used more explicitly as a weapon) don't go overboard with the violence and graphic deaths.

For me, it comes down to how much she's likely to appreciate the nuances of the story at this age. I don't know the girl, but when I was 11 and reading things like Stephen King's The Stand, I know I missed 70% of the content. I never shied away from reading big, complex books - but I also didn't absorb much of the material, either. If I had waited until I was a bit older to read some of those stories, I think I would have enjoyed them more. I also know I would have gotten more out of them.

So, that's my take on this: encourage her to wait, but don't forbid her from reading the books now.

I realize this is probably too late at this point, but I wanted to chime in.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Then again, that can be easily remedied by a reread a few years later. Which most of us have done anyway, so it wouldn't be too unreasonable to consider this a possibility for her too.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Ancient

Hugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of lightHugh the Hand is a glorious beacon of light

also a lot of the nuiances in the first books are less important to the story in those books. But important to the entire series.

So a child can grow with the story.

that being said rereads help and also, you are not wrong it is tough to catch a lot in the books
Old 04-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Elder

fdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant futurefdsaf3 has a brilliant future

Without a doubt the books can be reread. I thought about that before writing my last post, and I opted not to include my thoughts on the possibility.

Ultimately, I think it's a question of rereading the books due to not "getting it" or being oblivious to some of the more nuanced aspects of the content versus rereading the series out of more enjoyment-oriented reasons.

It should also be noted that nothing I'm saying is meant to be definitive one way or the other. This is simply my take on this rather subjective question.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:54 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Yeah, basically everything I said was based around presumed future rereads. When I read WOT at Tam's daughter's age, I certainly didn't "get" everything. Hell, I still don't. But I reread it eventually. One thing that will certainly help is that she'll have someone to go to if she doesn't understand some of it. If I'd gone to my parents and asked them to help me understand a section of a book, they would have just laughed at me, lol.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Damn

Quote:
I was riding my bike into work today (hey, its a great way to stay in shape) and I had all sorts of ideas in response to this thread. The mind tends to wander when you're pedaling up and down hills for 12 miles. Thoughts included...

1. What if she becomes a Dragonmounter instead of a Theorylander?
...wow, that hadn't crossed my mind. I mean...damn.

Quote:
2. You gotta be careful about her talking to boy WoT fans of that same age...all they've got on their mind is being Warder Bonded.
Now this one, she can handle. She's the assertive, get the f*** away from me kind of person...at ten.

Quote:
3. Every time she comes to you with a question, you absolutely must answer with "Read and Find Out"
Hah. Yes. Must.

Quote:
4. Do you dare talk to her about black cords and two souls?
...ouch...

Quote:
5. Will she think that its intuitively obvious that Graendal killed Asmo?
...can you imagine?

Quote:
6. What happens if she says she wants to be Green Ajah? Or even worse...Red Ajah?!?
This is an interesting question. I do wonder where she will find herself.

Quote:
7. If she asks about pillowfriends...man that's gonna be awkward for Tam....cant really RAFO that one.
I highly doubt she'll even notice it.

Quote:
I think this would make a great blog like post. Questions parents of WoT fans should be ready for. Or, what your WoT fan means when she says...
Old 04-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default I hear that

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsaf3 View Post

So, that's my take on this: encourage her to wait, but don't forbid her from reading the books now.

I realize this is probably too late at this point, but I wanted to chime in.
So far, from what I can tell, she has a variety of books she is interested in reading right now, and it appears she didn't expect me to actually say she could read the book. Her focus is split, so I think I will now leave it up to her to actually pick it up and read.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

So basically you have a Don't Ask, Do Tell policy?