art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-12-2015, 11:47 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Most people would've called this point four. But I guess that environmental concerns led you to reuse "3".
That said, trial by combat was indeed a fairly dodgy idea. Still, you (probably) can't blame GRRM for that; he just plucked it from European history.
Didn't realize I did that. Oops.

And I can blame him for it, since he decided to "pluck it".

Plus you have at least 2 different belief systems in Westeros alone, with the New Gods of the Southern Kingdoms and the old nameless gods of the North that were adopted from the Children of the Forest thousands of years prior.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
One of my least favourite things about GRR Martin is that he says things like "I wanted a five year story gap between book 1and 2" or "in retrospect I wish I had started with the stark children older". Just how little planning did he put into these stories?? And as for the five year gap- you're the writer dill wad! If you wanted that- you could have done it. Ass.
To be fair, writing a book is hard, and writing a whole series of them is even harder. It isn't really possible to just write an outline and stick to it to a T through the course of 10 or 20 years without any desire to change it. In fact, I'd have even less respect for GRRM if he claimed that the version of asoiaf we have now is exactly as he planned it to be 15 years ago. RJ clearly did the same thing. If he'd had a clear-cut, highly detailed outline of the WOT in place before starting the series, he'd have written something like 8 books in 10 years and been done with it.

But it doesn't work like that. No author with even a shred of imagination or creativity is going to write an outline and stick to it religiously decades after it's done.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post

But it doesn't work like that. No author with even a shred of imagination or creativity is going to write an outline and stick to it religiously decades after it's done.
That's clearly the case rand but he has written very young girls going through highly dubious acts. So if he found that he couldn't age them- change the story. As you said, it's a fluid process. It can be fluid in both directions. The defence of "imagination and creativity" not sticking to an outline falls down if he rigidly sticks to it in other ways..

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Youngling

Boli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really niceBoli is just really nice

I tried to get into these books a few years back; in the end I just got annoyed with the constant PoV swapping and GRRM had this nasty habit of making a character interesting just before he killed them.

You get a backstory and a cool possible plot twists for the future and BAMN raped and dead.

that said there is a very easy way for him to fix these dodgy ages - just declare that years on his world are like 500 days instead

9 becomes 12
11 becomes 15
14 becomes 19

and you stop having that gary glitter feeling reading the books.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:39 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

I have to ask, after thinking it over, how was the relationship between Ned and Renly? Overall, that is. Because it was obvious Renly knew what would happen after his brother's death and told Ned what to do (this is also after watching this part in the TV series). Obviously he wanted help becoming the true king from the King's Hand, but I am curious to how he saw Ned.