art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > General "Other" Books Discussion > George R. R. Martin
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2015, 04:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Dragonriders

This is the kind of thread I would probably hate if it were a WoT thread, but I'm a casual ASOIAF fan, so here goes.

I know that GRRM has said it's not necessary to be a Targaryen to bond with a dragon.

I still think it's highly likely that Valyrian and/or Targaryen blood carries a gift for skinchanging/warging with dragons. (In the show they call it warging no matter the animal.) As we have seen with the Starks, the ability on the low side is a simple bond, but it can extend to full skinchanging. Perhaps that is dependent on talent; perhaps it's mostly situational. Perhaps it's both.

So, I know that secret Targaryens are kind of the bane of the ASOIAF fandom. I don't care. Jon is obviously one. I believe there is at least one more, and I believe that all the dragonriders will have Targaryen blood.

I can't decide if it's just Tyrion (who has the most foreshadowing next to Jon himself), or if Tywin was completely impotent and all his children were fathered by Aerys II. To me that is completely believable (and fitting), and it doesn't make "secret Targaryens" an overdone thing. Aegon, Mr. Red Herring, made it an overdone thing, I think, hence the fandom attitude towards secret Targaryens.

So after Dany and Jon, IMO the two most likely dragonriders are Tyrion and Jaime. I think Tyrion is more likely, but I could see Jaime.

This thread came about because I was wondering (after making a post in the GOT thread on Non) if Tyrion didn't escape greyscale because of his Targaryen blood, the same way Jon escaped major burning when he killed the wights in GOT, and similar to how Melisandre burned away the poison of Maester Cressen with fire.

Even if Tywin was impotent and none of his children were actually his, they all still have Lannister blood. Joanna Lannister was a Lannister before she married him.

My endgame theory is that Jon and Dany will fight, fall in love, and die (in that order) and that Tyrion will end up on the throne, with Sansa as his queen. The first part is kind of cliché in fandom but if GRRM doesn't go there I will be convinced he changed his mind. Ygritte, kissed by fire. Melisandre, who has been pointed towards Jon at least since the powers of obsidian were first hinted at. It's a theme, these women of fire.

Last edited by Terez; 04-28-2015 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:11 AM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

I agree that the dragonriders will be Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. I'm not so sure about Jaime, as I don't really expect him to live that long. I think there are a couple other factors too:

Bran. Depending on what he's capable of, it's possible he can skinchange into the dragons. If Tyrion isn't a Targ (I think he is too, but you never know) or if he needs help for some reason, Bran might get to fly the dragon for him. This would let Bran fly, as he was promised, and create a parallel to when Tyrion helped Bran ride his horse with the modified saddle in book 1.

Euron's dragon horn. Assuming it actually works, Victarion or anyone in the vicinity on Meereen could potentially become a dragonrider, though probably only temporarily.

Other dragons in the world. Euron appears to have traded a dragon egg to the Faceless Men in exchange for Balon's assassination, and Jaqen probably has it in Oldtown. Since this may not even be a Valyrian dragon, who knows who, if anyone, could ride it. Hell, maybe Sam will use it to get back to the Wall quickly with the Horn of Winter. There are also hints of dragons in Dragonstone, and ice dragons at or beyond the Wall. And there's the stupid theory that Bran saw a dragon flying out of Winterfell (through Summer's eyes) at the end of aCoK, but I don't believe that one.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
I agree that the dragonriders will be Dany, Jon, and Tyrion. I'm not so sure about Jaime, as I don't really expect him to live that long.
I think Jaime could outlive Jon.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 06-12-2015, 06:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I just read this in ASOS—Jon is talking to Ygritte about dragons outside Queenscrown, where Bran and the rest are hiding inside:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
"I had another friend who dreamed of dragons. A dwarf. He told me—"
And then he gets interrupted by one of the Thenns.

As far as I can tell he didn't say anything before this about dreaming of dragons—he was telling the story of the New Gift, and Ygritte asked him if he had ever seen one—so it's kind of a weird line.