art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Discussion 03/2012 - 10/2015
User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Take a guess where this happened...

Just in case anyone thought that it might be a good idea to vote for a Senate candidate who was calling himself Augustus Sol Invictus...

Quote:
Augustus Sol Invictus admits he "sacrificed" the animal as part of a pagan ritual, but it was not "sadistic" as some of his critics have alleged.
Quote:
"I sacrificed an animal to the god of the wilderness ... Yes, I drank the goat's blood."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34450057
Old 10-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Just practicing some solid old testament teachings...good for him!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

Just what the fuck is Florida? Is that place linked to a version of itself from 300 years ago that was invaded by demons, or?
Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

This newest round in what the hell is wrong with Americans unfortunately comes much nearer to where I grew up - like 5 miles.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...epot/73468588/

Quote:
The shooting happened in the storeís parking lot at around 2 p.m. Tuesday, when Home Depotís store security was chasing a shoplifter who jumped into a waiting dark SUV driven by another suspect, said Lt. Jill McDonnell, an Auburn Hills police spokeswoman.

But when the SUV began to pull away, the CPL holder, a 48-year-old woman from Clarkston, suddenly began firing shots at the fleeing vehicle. The vehicle escaped, though one of the bullets may have flattened a back tire, McDonnell said. Police are still seeking to identify the suspects, who made off with more than $1,000 in merchandise.

The shooter remained on the scene, cooperated with police, and was released pending an investigation. But gun safety experts say the shooting details that have been released so far donít look great for the shooter.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
Just what the fuck is Florida? Is that place linked to a version of itself from 300 years ago that was invaded by demons, or?
Florida is a problem that, if the Climate Change Deniers get their way, will solve itself in a few decades.

i find it telling that people and the media are focusing on the animal sacrifice and freaking out about his religious practices, yet take his stances on eugenics, civil uprising, immigration, and the fact that he allegedly once renounced his citizenship barely get a nod.

i guess it takes drinking goat blood to trump Trump...

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 10-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Florida is a problem that, if the Climate Change Deniers get their way, will solve itself in a few decades.
Until then, Florida no doubt will continue with its usual shenanigans - like this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34519334

Quote:
A Florida woman has been arrested after she filmed herself driving drunk and broadcast it live on the internet.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Until then, Florida no doubt will continue with its usual shenanigans - like this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34519334
She said the problem will solve itself. She didn't say it'd happen all at once.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post

i find it telling that people and the media are focusing on the animal sacrifice and freaking out about his religious practices, yet take his stances on eugenics, civil uprising, immigration, and the fact that he allegedly once renounced his citizenship barely get a nod.

i guess it takes drinking goat blood to trump Trump...

At least Trump says stuff that gets people thinking... Like why we actually need to enforce immigration laws and secure a vulnerable border. His alignment with the Democratic Party in the past has turned me away from his vote, as well as some of his insanity, but he makes good points (though takes them too far). Invictus is just plain insane, and doesn't take much thought to shut him down.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
At least Trump says stuff that gets people thinking... Like why we actually need to enforce immigration laws and secure a vulnerable border. His alignment with the Democratic Party in the past has turned me away from his vote, as well as some of his insanity, but he makes good points (though takes them too far). Invictus is just plain insane, and doesn't take much thought to shut him down.
He throws juicy red meat down for the extreme fringe elements of the country. Not surprised you like those comments.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-14-2015, 03:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
At least Trump says stuff that gets people thinking...
Here's a suggestion for those people to think about : they could ask themselves why they did not think any earlier.

As an advanced exercise, they could wonder how trustworthy the results of their current thinking are, given that they apparently have no experience with that activity at all.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Here's a suggestion for those people to think about : they could ask themselves why they did not think any earlier.

As an advanced exercise, they could wonder how trustworthy the results of their current thinking are, given that they apparently have no experience with that activity at all.
Gonzo you should lower your expectations. These people saw no point in thinking which was bad yet they changed their minds for Trump which is worse. It's better that people like that don't think. If only we could persuade them not to vote.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Naz, it may surprise you to read it, but I do not expect Americans to follow all my suggestions. It would, of course, be wise of them to do so, but my expectations are sufficiently low that I do not count on consistent wisdom of this type. Still, they often manage to duck below my expectations anyway, so there's that.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Naz, it may surprise you to read it, but I do not expect Americans to follow all my suggestions. It would, of course, be wise of them to do so, but my expectations are sufficiently low that I do not count on consistent wisdom of this type. Still, they often manage to duck below my expectations anyway, so there's that.
I meant that if they did follow your suggestions it wouldn't lead to anything good. Right kind of advice for the wrong kind of people and all that.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

How do you know?
Based on the available data, we have no available data at all to predict what they might do if they start thinking. So it doesn't seem justified to make any definite predictions here.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gonzo the available data is most of the history of humanity. Based on all that how can these people's thinking lead to anything good.
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-14-2015, 10:47 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
as well as some of his insanity
The bulk of it is okay, right?
Old 10-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Ancient

Netanyahu apparently is trying to make Israel look like the world's version of Florida...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34594563

Quote:
Mr Netanyahu insisted Adolf Hitler had only wanted to expel Jews from Europe, but that Grand Mufti of Jerusalem Haj Amin al-Husseini told him: "Burn them."
Old 10-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
He throws juicy red meat down for the extreme fringe elements of the country. Not surprised you like those comments.
So him wanting people to follow the law is extreme? Yeah, he goes overboard with rhetoric like how he's supposedly going to round illegals up and toss them out, but his idea that our border needs to be secure is absolutely right. Democrats just don't want to enforce it because they get a good amount of their votes from illegals and dead people. Supporting a strong border, especially in times like today, is not extreme. What is extreme is universities censoring conservative speech, and providing "safe zones" with "safe speech" because God-forbid we hurt someone's feelings or someone gets butt hurt over some difference in opinion. What's extreme is giving illegals scholarships over Americans. So no, Trump is really not that extreme compared to much of what goes on here. I don't support him for president, but he brings up broader ideas that people need to discuss. No, not tossing people out, but securing our border to protect our citizens like our government is supposed to do with immigration laws.

His comments on stopping the Syrian migration is right on the mark though. We should not have a whole onslaught of Syrian migrants storming into our country without making sure they are who they say they are. Europe is done for, that is clear. They are being overrun, and the poor innocent people are being tossed out in support of what the governments are calling innocent women in children, when in reality the majority of people are middle age men who for all we know could be anti-West, ISIS supporting terrorists. It's sad what is happening over there, but liberals need to stop thinking with their hearts, and their desire for votes, and start looking for what's good for us, first and foremost.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Ancient

Quote:
So him wanting people to follow the law is extreme? Yeah, he goes overboard with rhetoric like how he's supposedly going to round illegals up and toss them out, but his idea that our border needs to be secure is absolutely right. Democrats just don't want to enforce it because they get a good amount of their votes from illegals and dead people. Supporting a strong border, especially in times like today, is not extreme. What is extreme is universities censoring conservative speech, and providing "safe zones" with "safe speech" because God-forbid we hurt someone's feelings or someone gets butt hurt over some difference in opinion. What's extreme is giving illegals scholarships over Americans. So no, Trump is really not that extreme compared to much of what goes on here. I don't support him for president, but he brings up broader ideas that people need to discuss. No, not tossing people out, but securing our border to protect our citizens like our government is supposed to do with immigration laws.
This is silly. Voter fraud is not a problem. There is no problem of illegal immigrants, or the dead, voting. On the other hand, Republican policies help explain why those immigrants, after they become citizens, tend to vote for the party that treats them like people rather than like criminals. This sort of nativist anger that Trump is exploiting benefits him and like-minded demagogues in the short term, but it will hurt Republicans both in the general election, and in the long term will continue to erode the viability of your party. And you can't really believe that even if elected that he would actually round up all the immigrants and deport them. Not only would that be impossible from a logistic standpoint, but it would be disastrous from an economic standpoint.

Quote:
His comments on stopping the Syrian migration is right on the mark though. We should not have a whole onslaught of Syrian migrants storming into our country without making sure they are who they say they are. Europe is done for, that is clear. They are being overrun, and the poor innocent people are being tossed out in support of what the governments are calling innocent women in children, when in reality the majority of people are middle age men who for all we know could be anti-West, ISIS supporting terrorists. It's sad what is happening over there, but liberals need to stop thinking with their hearts, and their desire for votes, and start looking for what's good for us, first and foremost.
We've only taken in 1854 refugees from Syria since the civil war began in 2012. Germany by comparison has taken in over 92,000 in those same three years. That many is a problem for Germany as it stretches their ability to respond adequately, and to absorb - finding jobs and housing for that many refugees. But for us? We are quite capable of handling that many. Or more. Not the millions that Turkey has absorbed obviously, but the overflow from that massive flood has gone into Europe, not here. Nor will it. We will get a trickle, not the flood. Nor is there legitimate fear of terrorists slipping in amongst the few refugees that have and will come for a very simple reason - there are far easier ways to get here for anyone that wants to. The danger presented by these refugees is negligible, and the numbers are minute.

Quote:
Syrians made up about 2 percent of the 70,000 refugees admitted during the last fiscal year. The three largest refugee groups were from Myanmar, Iraq and Somalia.
The United States has also admitted far larger numbers in the past. In 1979, it provided sanctuary to 111,000 Vietnamese refugees, and in 1980, it added another 207,000. Around the same time, the country took in more than 120,000 Cuban refugees during the Mariel boatlift, including around 80,000 in one month alone.
Moreover...

Quote:
The State Department said that the United States started to admit more Syrian refugees in the last year after the United Nations began submitting more referrals from refugee camps: 500 to 1,000 a month.
Refugees trying to reach the United States must apply through the United Nations, and before being accepted, they are screened by the F.B.I. and through databases run by the Defense Department and other federal agencies.
The additional 10,000 Syrian refugees this year would come from 18,000 referrals already submitted by the United Nations. State Department officials said that more than half of them were children.
This is all much ado about nothing.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ates.html?_r=0
Old 10-22-2015, 05:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
We've only taken in 1854 refugees from Syria since the civil war began in 2012. Germany by comparison has taken in over 92,000 in those same three years. That many is a problem for Germany as it stretches their ability to respond adequately, and to absorb - finding jobs and housing for that many refugees. But for us? We are quite capable of handling that many.
Obviously, Southpaw disagrees. He thinks that Americans are stupid and incompetent, and hence can't manage to do even one tenth as well as the average German can. Since he is an American himself, I would tend to value his judgement on his countrymen in matters such as this. He knows they are xenophobic bigots; it would take more than your mere faith in humanity to prove him wrong.