art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): tevarttelli,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-19-2015, 01:17 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default 30% of Republicans want to bomb Aladdin...

Anyone who continues to be surprised at how Trump, Carson, and Cruz could continue to dominate the Republican field need only look at polls like this...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...tional-country

Quote:
poll on Friday by Public Policy Polling perfectly encapsulates the Republican presidential race so far: “30% of Republican primary voters nationally say they support bombing Agrabah.” That would be the fictional country in Aladdin.

Republican voters, urged on by the Republican candidates, are now eager to bomb anywhere that has a Muslim-sounding name regardless of whether it comes from a cartoon. While the poll itself may be amusing, it’s not exactly surprising given the cartoonish levels of tough-guy militarism that spews from the mouth of every Republican candidate as they try to one-up each other on who would start more wars harder and quicker.

Ted Cruz has spent the past two weeks calling for a “carpet bombing” of the Middle East in an attempt to destroy Isis, saying he wants to see if “sand can glow in the dark”. He defended this call on national television Tuesday while outright avoiding the question of whether that means he’s prepared to kill the hundreds of thousands of civilians that live in Isis’s de-facto capital of Raqqa, Syria.

Donald Trump, in between his calls for banning Muslims here at home, also called on American forces to commit war crimes by killing the families of terrorists. His meaningless calls to “bomb the shit out of Isis” naturally have led all the other candidates to trip over each other in an attempt to find more and more colorful adjectives to describe how their bombs would look.

Chris Christie, whose whole campaign seems based around trying to sound like he could beat the other candidates up for their lunch money, was perhaps the most absurd: he threatened war with both Russia and China during the last debate. Christie claimed he was totally willing to start a third world war with Russia over a no-fly zone in Syria and would shoot down Russian pilots immediately. His reason? To avenge the thousands killed by Assad, and the “millions running around the world, running for their lives”. So Christie’s position is: we will start the third world war to save Syrians, but we draw the line in at allowing five-year-old Syrian orphans into the United States.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

In fairness, something like 19% of Democrats also want to bomb Agrabah.

Obviously the solution is Education, and to watch more Disney movies.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 12-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
In fairness, something like 19% of Democrats also want to bomb Agrabah.

Obviously the solution is Education, and to watch more Disney movies.
Unless that's why they want to do it. Just in case the muslims get their hands on a magic lamp.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-19-2015, 07:35 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

It's an interesting logic question though. Should I be opposed to bombing Agrabah because they never did anything to deserve it, and there is no actionable intel concerning any part of its populace, or indifferent because Agrabah doesn't exist and therefore can't be harmed by bombs?

Btw, I can't find the actual poll. Kimon just links to an article that uses the poll as clickbait, and its only source is a Twitter post.

Considering Agrabah is affiliated with ABC, there's a nonzero chance this is just Kimmel.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:02 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
It's an interesting logic question though. Should I be opposed to bombing Agrabah because they never did anything to deserve it, and there is no actionable intel concerning any part of its populace, or indifferent because Agrabah doesn't exist and therefore can't be harmed by bombs?

Btw, I can't find the actual poll. Kimon just links to an article that uses the poll as clickbait, and its only source is a Twitter post.

Considering Agrabah is affiliated with ABC, there's a nonzero chance this is just Kimmel.
It's not exactly difficult to find...

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...GOPResults.pdf

It's Question 38

Quote:
Would you support or oppose bombing
Agrabah?
Support bombing Agrabah 30% ..............................
Oppose bombing Agrabah 13% ..............................
Not sure 57%
Only 13%, wow.

A few other interesting tidbits:

- 28% still support the Japanese Internment Policy during WWII.
- 26% think Islam should be illegal.
- 46% think we should have a national database of Muslims.
- 13% however think that people on the terrorist watch list should still be able to purchase firearms.

oh, and duh...

- 50% of respondents were evangelicals...
Old 12-20-2015, 02:55 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Well i would also be not sure about bombing Agrabah, since it's not real
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

If one votes "bomb Agrabah" on the theory that doing it would mean bombing Disney Land, would that really be bad?
Old 12-21-2015, 06:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

I'd be rather opposed to bombing Agrabah, if only on the off-chance that some over-eager military person might accidentally bomb Aqaba, which would be... a rather bad idea.

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 12-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok View Post
I'd be rather opposed to bombing Agrabah, if only on the off-chance that some over-eager military person might accidentally bomb Aqaba, which would be... a rather bad idea.
Or 'a Ka'ba', which would be infinitely worse.

Though Ali-G was assured such cannot happen.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
It's not exactly difficult to find...

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...GOPResults.pdf

It's Question 38

Only 13%, wow.

A few other interesting tidbits:

- 28% still support the Japanese Internment Policy during WWII.
- 26% think Islam should be illegal.
- 46% think we should have a national database of Muslims.
- 13% however think that people on the terrorist watch list should still be able to purchase firearms.

oh, and duh...

- 50% of respondents were evangelicals...
Much appreciated. My earlier cursory search just turned up more articles.

The article posted is a lousy one though. 'GOP Primary Candidates Make Outrageously Hawkish Public Statements' is not a news story. The poll showing what it did (about both parties) is horrifying. Why is it relegated to clickbait?
Old 12-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point

I also support this idea. Where to vote for it?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/27/this-t...trick-5586627/
Old 12-27-2015, 12:24 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Nothing tops Bernie bankrupt America with "free shit" Sanders blaming terrorism on global warming. Absolutely ludicrous and ignorant and the fact he has supporters shows the ignorance in this country.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Seriously, Who clicks lone links like that anymore? you must trust your antivirus software more than i do.

i'm willing to bet it's about Democrats wanting to bomb Agrabah too. Which, combined with the previous poll, leads me to deduce that both Republicans and Democrats should be kept away from high office & probably shouldn't be allowed out in public without a minder.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 12-27-2015, 08:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
Nothing tops Bernie bankrupt America with "free shit" Sanders blaming terrorism on global warming. Absolutely ludicrous and ignorant and the fact he has supporters shows the ignorance in this country.
Supporters...like the Pentagon, the Joint Chiefs, leading officials, etc.

All those crazy liberals.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-28-2015, 04:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Supporters...like the Pentagon, the Joint Chiefs, leading officials, etc.

All those crazy liberals.
Donald Trump would probably abolish the Pentagon as soon as he became president. Maybe he would do the same thing that a previous Republican official did (then in Iraq), and tell the entire army "you're fired". Big question of course is: would he have the sense to first disarm them, or would he repeat the mistake of his predecessor?
Old 12-28-2015, 12:00 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Donald Trump would probably abolish the Pentagon as soon as he became president. Maybe he would do the same thing that a previous Republican official did (then in Iraq), and tell the entire army "you're fired". Big question of course is: would he have the sense to first disarm them, or would he repeat the mistake of his predecessor?
Trump doesn't frighten me anywhere near as much as Cruz or Carson. He's a demagogue, but he isn't stupid, or evangelical. Worse case scenario, he's like Cleon. That's still bad, but it still seems unlikely that he believes any of the nonsense that he's saying. He's just a show-man. I'm still convinced that he just was running as free publicity, with no actual intent at gaining the nomination, but then realized that with as weak as the Republican field is, and as naive and easily manipulated as most voters (regardless of which side of the aisle) are, that he could well be the strongest Republican candidate. Couple that with the fact many strongly dislike Hillary, and he has a very real chance of becoming president. Depressing, and embarrassing for the nation, but far less terrifying that say a Cruz or Carson presidency.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, but what if he is deceiving you too?
I quite understand that you doubt he will keep all promises he makes to his followers. But he may not do what his detractors expect either.
Obama was like that too, after all. He still hasn't started his death panels, taken away all the guns from Republicans, nor declared world wide Marxist Sharia.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:14 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Having Trump and Clinton as the front runners of both parties is like having Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb as the top nominations. Take your pick for who is which.

Either way, we seem to be pretty screwed for President in the next 4 years.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Hey, the choice could still turn out to be between Clinton and Fiorina. Wouldn't that be fun?