art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-12-2016, 04:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unreasoner View Post
I know. I have to meet this creature, see it with my own eyes.
You should come to JordanCon anyway because I'll be there. And you can help Theoryland win team trivia.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:35 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
You should come to JordanCon anyway because I'll be there. And you can help Theoryland win team trivia.
Do we ever lose?

Frankly, I'd be surprised if you couldn't win on your own. But I'll think about it. Some things are beyond my control. If I do go, I'll probably keep a low profile. But I'd like to see you, in any case. Walk you through what I have in mind for music theory analysis. And I think I owe you a steak.

Who thinks Biden will enter if Hillary loses in Iowa? I think he'd want to. I think Obama would endorse him (though that is of dubious value). I think Hillary and those who would see her crowned will set the world on fire though.

I'd love to see this guy run, though:

Though Gavin Newsom is one of Hillary's backers, and that would be problematic.

Or Kerry? I like Kerry.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:44 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do we ever lose?

Frankly, I'd be surprised if you couldn't win on your own. But I'll think about it. Some things are beyond my control. If I do go, I'll probably keep a low profile. But I'd like to see you, in any case. Walk you through what I have in mind for music theory analysis. And I think I owe you a steak.

Who thinks Biden will enter if Hillary loses in Iowa? I think he'd want to. I think Obama would endorse him (though that is of dubious value). I think Hillary and those who would see her crowned will set the world on fire though.

I'd love to see this guy run, though:

Though Gavin Newsom is one of Hillary's backers, and that would be problematic.

Or Kerry? I like Kerry.
Jerry Brown is 77. Hillary is already borderline too old, and she's 68. The idea of another president suffering from dementia while in office frightens me. Biden is frankly too old also. He's 73.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

If Jerry Brown were 10 years years younger...hell, even 7-8 years younger, he'd be an absolutely awesome candidate. He really got screwed back in the day...ironically by the Clinton machine. I wonder how the world would have been different had he defeated Clinton in the 1992 primary.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Elder

The Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond reputeThe Unreasoner has a reputation beyond repute

His parents both lived into their nineties, and I never heard about either having any kind of dementia.

I think he could do the job. He could beat Trump or Rubio. I don't think he wants the job though.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
His parents both lived into their nineties, and I never heard about either having any kind of dementia.

I think he could do the job. He could beat Trump or Rubio. I don't think he wants the job though.
I think he does but he also realizes that he'd be crushed again by Clinton...and he realizes his age is an issue regardless of how well his parents did age wise.

A shame as he'd probably be a good President.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I think he does but he also realizes that he'd be crushed again by Clinton...and he realizes his age is an issue regardless of how well his parents did age wise.

A shame as he'd probably be a good President.
You're probably right.

I just don't know what I want. I don't think Hillary can be a two term president. I'm certain Bernie will be absolutely useless, barring some major tectonic shifts in the House (Obama can't get legislation with bipartisan support through Congress, yet Bernie expects to be able to deliver on a single thing he is campaigning on?). If the GOP nominates another moderate, and he loses, the far right will just become even worse. If Trump or Cruz is nominated and then loses, they might be chastened, but I won't hold my breath. We either get four years with Hillary (and a useless GOP-controlled Congress) or four years with Rubio, who I don't think has the backbone to reign in his party. Any Republican president is dangerous with this Freedom caucus in town. And I don't ************** know what can be done.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do we ever lose?

Frankly, I'd be surprised if you couldn't win on your own.
I can't recall if Theoryland has ever lost team trivia. I think we always win it. But this year I'm running it, so I can't play.

Quote:
Who thinks Biden will enter if Hillary loses in Iowa?
He can't. It's too late to get on the ballots at that point.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Obama can't get legislation with bipartisan support through Congress, yet Bernie expects to be able to deliver on a single thing he is campaigning on?
Might skin color make a bit of a difference?
I have no reason to think it matters to you, but there are signs that it matters to at least some of the Teabaggers.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Might skin color make a bit of a difference?
I have no reason to think it matters to you, but there are signs that it matters to at least some of the Teabaggers.
Come on now, its not like there's any evidence that the Far Right and White Power groups have much the same values or something...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ent-trump.html

Oh, and they're actively campaigning for Trump in Iowa too...but its probably just a coincidence.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:10 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
you've convinced me. i'm voting Bernie.

(i really shouldn't feed the trolls, i know, but he's such an adorable little fluffball of hate you just can't help yourself.)
Whenever I see The Bern speak it just makes me think of Larry David

How could you not vote for him (unless perhaps you vote based on things such as policies and whatever.)
Old 01-13-2016, 01:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

He has 1 pair of underwear and he dries it out on the radiator. He's not one of those fancy billionaires that owns 4 or 5 pairs.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I think that Warren could have been convinced to run if Hillary's support hadn't been so overwhelming, if running against her wouldn't have been taken as some kind of uppity betrayal by party loyalists.
Not sure how much Warren cares for that.

I think she stayed out because she saw that for the issues she cared about, focus was more important than position. As President, you are almost forced to make a compromise on everything, and your priorities in, say, foreign policy, will bump up against your priorities on the economy. As Senator, Warren faces no such restrictions. She is incredibly well positioned to make her issues heard, and the media thankfully sees sense in paying attention to what she says, proving it can get things right now and then.

And, where she is now, she gets to keep the Democratic presidents honest on the economy. Even Hillary is running more to the left this time, and I can't help but think some of that is down to Warren.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

I think most of that is Sanders acting as a giant anchor dragging her to the Left for the entire primary season.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
Not sure how much Warren cares for that.
If she didn't care about that then she wouldn't be supporting Hillary as a candidate. She has never been a fan of Hillary; she wrote about some of her frustrations with Hillary in her 2003 book "The Two-Income Trap".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionwe1987 View Post
I think she stayed out because she saw that for the issues she cared about, focus was more important than position.
I doubt she ever cared about being president. What she does care about is whether her party controls the White House, and she had a rather large grassroots organization trying to convince her that Hillary couldn't win it, but she could.

I'm aware of her public arguments on the subject, but I believe there was a time when she was very close to being convinced.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Honestly, she has more power to influence in her current position at this point...and she can easily serve another 12-18 years in the Senate before she's too old. She'll have a ton of seniority by then. At only 66, she's got plenty of more time.