art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)


Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 03-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Ozymandias's Avatar
Ozymandias Ozymandias is offline
Ancient
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,839
Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
uh. that's wrong. They are acknowledged, studied, dissected, reassembled, conspiracy theories made and unmade and remade and so on.
I apologize, that is the language I should have used. I didn't mean to imply no one knows about them/acknowledges them, just that if you ask the average person about "the Crusades" they think about the First or Third Crusade in Jerusalem. Not the Sacking of Constantinople, nor the abortive Crusades in Egypt, and certainly not the Baltic Crusades or the Albigensian Crusades.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 03-30-2016, 06:54 PM
Ozymandias's Avatar
Ozymandias Ozymandias is offline
Ancient
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,839
Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
So you still can't control your fear Ozy.
Nope. The knowledge that I am a target for no other reason than that I refuse to subordinate my intelligence and free will to the incoherent fantasies of a long-dead narcoleptic terrifies me.

If I don't like Donald Trump, I know to stay away from his rallies for fear of being beaten up. That's a controllable fear, because Trump's thugs aren't walking into my home with a bomb while I'm on the premises.

Islamic fascists are threatening that. And there isn't a thing I can do to stop it. It's totally out of my control. That should terrify everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 03-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Davian93's Avatar
Davian93 Davian93 is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 20,142
Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

You're much, much, much more likely to get hit by a car and die than die in a terrorist attack...so the fear might be a bit overblown.
__________________
Bonded to Brita

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 03-30-2016, 07:23 PM
Nazbaque's Avatar
Nazbaque Nazbaque is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 3,492
Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Nope. The knowledge that I am a target for no other reason than that I refuse to subordinate my intelligence and free will to the incoherent fantasies of a long-dead narcoleptic terrifies me.

If I don't like Donald Trump, I know to stay away from his rallies for fear of being beaten up. That's a controllable fear, because Trump's thugs aren't walking into my home with a bomb while I'm on the premises.

Islamic fascists are threatening that. And there isn't a thing I can do to stop it. It's totally out of my control. That should terrify everyone.
But that's not the point now is it. It's not about what you fear but how you act as the result of fear. If you can control yourself inspite of fear then you are brave, if you can't you're a coward.

Based on that post you are very much lacking in control and thus a coward. If you weren't you'd see quite a few logical flaws in those fears.

On some level you just can't accept the fact that they are human beings too.
__________________
Warder of Freya Sedai
First-brother of Cary Sedai
Great Lord of Fire
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Ozymandias's Avatar
Ozymandias Ozymandias is offline
Ancient
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,839
Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
You're much, much, much more likely to get hit by a car and die than die in a terrorist attack...so the fear might be a bit overblown.
Of course. Given how much I like the ocean I'm probably more likely to be eaten by a shark (though... I definitely don't have statistics on this, except watching a lot of terribly awesome SyFy "Ghost Shark" movies lately).

That isn't my point. The car accident is a random act of the world we live in. The vast majority of car-related deaths are accidental; the victim wasn't targeted for any specific reason. Terrorism is the worst of both; its very pointed in where it targets and totally indiscriminate in who is hurt. It means living in a relatively open, free society makes you a target irrespective of your beliefs.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 04-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Ozymandias's Avatar
Ozymandias Ozymandias is offline
Ancient
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,839
Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
But that's not the point now is it. It's not about what you fear but how you act as the result of fear. If you can control yourself inspite of fear then you are brave, if you can't you're a coward.
Well, given that I'm not out in the streets shooting up madrassas, I'd say I'm controlling myself just fine.

One of the wonderful things about living in a democratic, secularist, pluralistic society like the United States (or Western Europe) is that I have the ability to express my thoughts, nominally without fear of reprisal.

There are a lot of levels of control. If you mean that I'm not willing to muzzle myself from voicing an accurate but perhaps uncomfortable truth, then fine, I'm not in control. But to my mind, a lack of control would be me offering money to kill mullahs or imams, or someone else who represents a worldview different than mine. I'm not... so maybe, just maybe, I'm in a bit more control than you think. Its the other side that we have to worry about, because its the other side that thinks that their actions have divine sanction. If you haven't noticed, people throughout history (and regardless of denomination) have done some pretty horrific things in the name of god.

Quote:
Based on that post you are very much lacking in control and thus a coward. If you weren't you'd see quite a few logical flaws in those fears.
Tell it to Salman Rushdie. Or Ayaan Hirsi Ali. The exercise of free speech makes you a target for assassination. That is the most basic principle of our society, and it is being attacked at its root by extremists who are being offered blood money, or official sanction, for the murder of someone who writes a book.

Quote:
On some level you just can't accept the fact that they are human beings too.
I'm... not sure where you're getting this? I fully understand they're human beings. If they weren't, there would be no issue. But fanatical Islamic fascists are susceptible to the same bigotries and idiocies as all of us. The difference is, to them, I am not allowed to hold an opposing view.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Nazbaque's Avatar
Nazbaque Nazbaque is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Turku, Finland
Posts: 3,492
Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well, given that I'm not out in the streets shooting up madrassas, I'd say I'm controlling myself just fine.
If you actually wish to do that, then I suppose I should be glad that you are controlling the urge, but you having such an urge is quite disturbing. If you don't have the inclination what exactly is being controlled?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
One of the wonderful things about living in a democratic, secularist, pluralistic society like the United States (or Western Europe) is that I have the ability to express my thoughts, nominally without fear of reprisal.
Ability? Not really any more so than in other parts of the world. Legal right? Might be a point if the unofficial weren't far more important than the official.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
There are a lot of levels of control. If you mean that I'm not willing to muzzle myself from voicing an accurate but perhaps uncomfortable truth, then fine, I'm not in control. But to my mind, a lack of control would be me offering money to kill mullahs or imams, or someone else who represents a worldview different than mine. I'm not... so maybe, just maybe, I'm in a bit more control than you think. Its the other side that we have to worry about, because its the other side that thinks that their actions have divine sanction. If you haven't noticed, people throughout history (and regardless of denomination) have done some pretty horrific things in the name of god.
Ah so the problem is your lack of understanding the concept of control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Tell it to Salman Rushdie. Or Ayaan Hirsi Ali. The exercise of free speech makes you a target for assassination. That is the most basic principle of our society, and it is being attacked at its root by extremists who are being offered blood money, or official sanction, for the murder of someone who writes a book.
So because there are people for whom such fears have a cause they suddenly apply to everyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'm... not sure where you're getting this? I fully understand they're human beings. If they weren't, there would be no issue. But fanatical Islamic fascists are susceptible to the same bigotries and idiocies as all of us. The difference is, to them, I am not allowed to hold an opposing view.
And so we always come to this same point Ozy. You do not understand what a human being is. This incidentally is obvious from your entire post. Don't you ever watch the people around you and wonder about them? Why they do what they do? If they do things that you don't, is that wrong? If you do something they wouldn't, is that wrong? If you do the same things with different methods, is one of you wrong? If you are doing the exact same things, could one of you have wrong reasons for doing it? The questions keep piling up and all too often I find you trying to force somekind of short cut to the answers. This is a great shame for if you honestly contemplated other peoples' motives you might eventually contemplate your own and learn from the closest example what it means to be human.
__________________
Warder of Freya Sedai
First-brother of Cary Sedai
Great Lord of Fire
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-08-2016, 12:04 PM
Davian93's Avatar
Davian93 Davian93 is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Colorado, USA
Posts: 20,142
Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36000407

Key suspect in Paris and Brussels attacks arrested.
__________________
Bonded to Brita

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 04-08-2016, 12:48 PM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,860
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Bush did it very differently. He didn't bother arresting suspects; he just invaded Iraq. What good could the European approach possibly do, compared to that standard?
__________________
I do not anticipate the invention of a working time machine in the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 04-09-2016, 12:11 PM
Ozymandias's Avatar
Ozymandias Ozymandias is offline
Ancient
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,839
Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
If you actually wish to do that, then I suppose I should be glad that you are controlling the urge, but you having such an urge is quite disturbing. If you don't have the inclination what exactly is being controlled?
You tell me. You're position is that I'm not in control of myself or my fear. Mine is that in the scheme of things, if all I'm doing is venting on an internet forum (and being quite restrained, especially by the standards of the internet), then there isn't much cause to think I'm acting irrationally. You don't have to look very far to see people who take far more inappropriate, even violent, actions when they are upset or scared.

Quote:
Ability? Not really any more so than in other parts of the world. Legal right? Might be a point if the unofficial weren't far more important than the official.
Perhaps I should have said I have the ability to express myself without fear of state-sponsored reprisal. I don't think there is a single country in the world with a higher degree of freedom of speech than the US.

Quote:
Ah so the problem is your lack of understanding the concept of control.
Perhaps the issue is that you don't understand the nuance of varying degrees of control

Quote:
So because there are people for whom such fears have a cause they suddenly apply to everyone else?
YES! I am not Salman Rushdie (or am I?!?!), but the entire point I'm making is there is effectively nothing, except prodigious literary talent and critical exposure, that separates me from him. All he was guilty of was writing a fictional novel that made the fairly innocuous claim that perhaps the Quran was not divinely inspired.

He is persecuted, and has a state sponsored blood price on his head, for no other reason than he wrote a piece of creative fiction. That is a threat to everything I hold dear in life, and I imagine what you value as well; freedom of thought and speech, the ability to think critically and to innovate, the right to wonder at the world.

So yeah, you've hit precisely on my point, though I don't think you'll ever come round to my way of thinking. I am scared because there is VERY broad class of people who think that the attacks on Jyllands-Posten was justified. That they (or, by extension, I) cannot write a fucking comic strip without fear of being blown to pieces is ridiculous. That is the exact kind of thing that should be feared. If you point a gun at my head and ask for my wallet, I have a choice. I have a method by which to mitigate the danger to my person. Even if the violence is for some senseless reason, at least it is a danger I can face, can accept and deal with, and steel myself for. To live every second of every day, knowing that it is possible to be torn into bloody bits by shrapnel from some IED that was detonated merely because I live in a society that values freedom of conscience? There is no way to accept that; one must either ignore it (as you've chosen, and as I mostly do on a practical basis) or go insane.

Quote:
And so we always come to this same point Ozy. You do not understand what a human being is. This incidentally is obvious from your entire post. Don't you ever watch the people around you and wonder about them? Why they do what they do? If they do things that you don't, is that wrong? If you do something they wouldn't, is that wrong? If you do the same things with different methods, is one of you wrong? If you are doing the exact same things, could one of you have wrong reasons for doing it? The questions keep piling up and all too often I find you trying to force somekind of short cut to the answers. This is a great shame for if you honestly contemplated other peoples' motives you might eventually contemplate your own and learn from the closest example what it means to be human.
With all due respect, it sounds like I've done quite a bit more thinking about it than you have. And your attempts at moral relativism are foolish. If I drive 29 miles an hour to get to the market and you drive 30, neither of us is "wrong", and certainly not in the macro ethical sense we're discussing.

But if someone claims the right to police my speech and (theoretically) even my thoughts, and does so at the point of a gun or the blast radius of a bomb, then yes, one of us is wrong and one is not. My fear of senseless violence against my person, and my condemnation of those who would use such methods to enforce their philosophies and fantasies on me, is NOT MORALLY EQUAL to the person who thinks they have the right to dictate to me what to believe. Even if they don't actually use violence against me, the very idea that they have such a right is essentially more morally repugnant than my assertion that I have a right to freedom of conscience.

And this is all to the extent that we should even take the argument of "do you even know what it means to be human" seriously and not as some weird straw man. I understand the motivations of fanatic Islamic fascists as well as any other third party can. Poverty, the perception that "the West" is responsible, an inability to control one's destiny in any meaningful way, a lack of social/political/economic opportunities... to the extent that I didn't grow up poor in Saudi Arabia, I can understand the root causes that lead to men and women turning to violence. But two important distinctions need to be appended on. Firstly, this disaffection and anger is being directed outward in explicitly religious terms. Maybe that is the only language which these folks have to express their complaints at the world. Doesn't change the simple fact that for them, as for Christians 1,000 years ago, the language of violence is religious in nature. And second, on that topic, however bad your life may be, you do not have the right to take it out on me or anyone else by way of violence.

So yeah... I think I've done a sight more honest and critical examination of my own beliefs, and how they intersect with others' and the world at large, than you give me credit for. Perhaps even more than you have. I just came to the conclusion that I value my right to believe what I wish in the privacy of my own home more than I value the right of the religious to police my speech and thought so as to avoid being "offended".
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 04-09-2016, 02:15 PM
Kimon's Avatar
Kimon Kimon is offline
Ancient
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 3,401
Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36000407

Key suspect in Paris and Brussels attacks arrested.
Abrini has also admitted being the man in the hat in the videos from the airport.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36005709

Quote:
He is one of six men arrested in Brussels on Friday. Four have been charged with terror offences.
Quote:
The other suspects charged on Saturday were named as Osama K, Herve BN, and Bilal EM.
They are all accused of "participating in terrorist acts'' linked to the Brussels bombings. Two other people arrested on Friday have been released.
Osama K, identified in media reports as Swedish national Osama Krayem, was the man seen with the suicide bomber at Malbeek metro station just before the attack on 22 March, investigators say.
Quote:
Osama K is believed to have entered Greece from Syria with migrants last year, using a fake Syrian passport. Prosecutors believe he was driven from Germany to Belgium by Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam in October.
Herve BM, described as a Rwandan national, and Bilal EM are both suspected of having offered assistance to Abrini and Osama K.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 04-10-2016, 03:56 AM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,860
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
... the standards of the internet ...
Standards of the Internet?
Citation needed, I would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Abrini has also admitted being the man in the hat in the videos from the airport.
Has the hat been found?
__________________
I do not anticipate the invention of a working time machine in the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 04-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Ozymandias's Avatar
Ozymandias Ozymandias is offline
Ancient
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,839
Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Standards of the Internet?
Citation needed, I would say.
Well my spelling and grammar are both within the bounds of reason, and I can claim that my opinions require more than a hashtag and 140 characters to express, so I think that puts me in the 95th percentile or so right off the bat.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 04-12-2016, 04:09 AM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,860
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Well my spelling and grammar are both within the bounds of reason, and I can claim that my opinions require more than a hashtag and 140 characters to express, so I think that puts me in the 95th percentile or so right off the bat.
None of which even suggests that the Internet has any standards whatsoever. So you still need to back up that particular slander.
__________________
I do not anticipate the invention of a working time machine in the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 04-12-2016, 09:39 PM
Ozymandias's Avatar
Ozymandias Ozymandias is offline
Ancient
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,839
Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
None of which even suggests that the Internet has any standards whatsoever. So you still need to back up that particular slander.
Then I suppose it depends on your definition of "standards." Since the term is, in all situations, relative to something else, it is technically impossible to quantify any "standard." That being said, I generally assume the population around here to be reasonable, so I made the perhaps hasty assumption that when faced with a truth so obvious that it hardly bore mentioning, it would be accepted in that vein. Apparently not.

Since it would be literally impossible to determine the veracity of my claim objectively, you'll have to take my word for it.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 04-13-2016, 04:07 AM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,860
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Since it would be literally impossible to determine the veracity of my claim objectively, you'll have to take my word for it.
Since that seems to work for Trump each and every time, I suppose we'll have to accept it from you too. Annoying, this, that any kind of scepticism is now politically incorrect.

To get back to the terrorists that are the nominal subject of this thread: is it a good or a bad thing that in Belgium the main approach seems to be based on letting the police do its job, rather than declaring war on some more or less nebulous entity?
__________________
I do not anticipate the invention of a working time machine in the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 04-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Ozymandias's Avatar
Ozymandias Ozymandias is offline
Ancient
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,839
Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Since that seems to work for Trump each and every time, I suppose we'll have to accept it from you too. Annoying, this, that any kind of scepticism is now politically incorrect.
Well Trump is making claims that are demonstrably false. Or at least to which there is objective evidence to contradict him.

Quote:
To get back to the terrorists that are the nominal subject of this thread: is it a good or a bad thing that in Belgium the main approach seems to be based on letting the police do its job, rather than declaring war on some more or less nebulous entity?
Well to segue away from that for a second, what good would it do to declare war? I assume you bring it up for the purpose of contrasting it with the desired response of many Americans against ISIS. However, the United States has a legitimate case to make at being able to influence the course of the war in Syria and throughout the Islamic world in general. Belgium really doesn't. So what other option is there? There are housing complexes in New York City with a greater population than the entire Belgian armed forces.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 04-21-2016, 12:44 PM
GonzoTheGreat GonzoTheGreat is offline
Hero of the Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 15,860
GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Belgium could invoke the NATO mutual defence clause. That'd put the US Army on their side, and most housing complexes don't have that kind of pull.
__________________
I do not anticipate the invention of a working time machine in the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.