art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2016, 04:19 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough
Default TV series

The Wheel of Time is coming to television. Don't know how to feel about this...

https://plus.google.com/103674399065...ts/2ZHjeMMz7Q8
Old 04-28-2016, 04:29 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
The Wheel of Time is coming to television. Don't know how to feel about this...

https://plus.google.com/103674399065...ts/2ZHjeMMz7Q8
Your link at present is to an image of RJ in Rouen, looking at a statue of Jeanne d'Arc. No mention of a tv series.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:32 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Your link at present is to an image of RJ in Rouen, looking at a statue of Jeanne d'Arc. No mention of a tv series.
You must have a google+ account and follow the official RJ WoT account to see it. Here is what it says:

The following is a press statement that has been approved by the studio involved in contract negotiations:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet 
Old 04-28-2016, 04:38 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw2012 View Post
You must have a google+ account and follow the official RJ WoT account to see it. Here is what it says:

The following is a press statement that has been approved by the studio involved in contract negotiations:

Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet 
Okay. Not much to go on if that's all that they have released so far. WoT unfortunately seems the sort of source material that would be far easier to massively screw up, than to adapt into something worthy. I still think the safest format would be anime.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

I still could be animation. Animated TV series are a growing thing, so this could be one. The use of the phrase "cutting edge" to describe it is weird, and may indicate this.

That said, most likely this will be live action, and massively truncated form of the story we know. But still, there are reasons to be excited. For one, it will have the most extensive female cast for a TV show ever. And hopefully, whoever is at the helm will pick up the good and tamp down on the not so good aspects of the female cast of the series.

If it has positive things going for it, I'm happy to see a reimagining of the WoT story for TV. Maybe think of it as an alternate turning of the Wheel, where the Pattern of the story is broadly the same, but less constrained by hewing exactly to the books.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:50 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

I am cautiously optimistic. I'm REALLY hoping they (whoever "they" are) do it justice.

As long as it isn't like that god-awful pilot, then I'll be okay. I think.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I'm starting to think someone paid REE to set the bar ridiculously low.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Elder

rand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant futurerand has a brilliant future

Well, let's hope they do a decent job. If they're smart they'll take a cue from GoT and the attention to detail on that. It will still be interesting even if it sucks, just to see WoT on screen.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

I also hope for the best it will be hard to make us all happy.
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

More like impossible.

Apparently Jason and his crew are going to be involved somehow; Jason might have managed to get himself hired as producer. If they're supposed to be quiet about this on social media, they're not doing a very good job of it.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

i'm concerned, tbh. How will WoT live in a broadcast world that will compare it to GoT? There isn't anywhere near enough tits and gore to keep the ratings up where they need to be to keep viewership high enough to keep production funded.

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 04-29-2016, 02:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

1. Not being on HBO is a good start.
2. The WoT/RJ references in ASOIAF are also helpful.
3. The fanbase is huge, with millions already having read the books.
4. The goretits attract a certain demographic; the subtler approach of WoT attracts another, perhaps comparably large demographic. Easy to forget that when, like many genre fans, you could go either way.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
i'm concerned, tbh. How will WoT live in a broadcast world that will compare it to GoT? There isn't anywhere near enough tits and gore to keep the ratings up where they need to be to keep viewership high enough to keep production funded.
I suspect that a bit of focus on the BA and some DF groups could provide this kind of thing easily. Maybe the Aiel (with their conferences in sweat tents) could be brought in earlier in the series too, to provide some variety. Then there's the Sea Folk, of course ...
Old 04-29-2016, 03:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

If let's say the show would be on HBO/Showtime/Whatever, nippleslips can easily be added if that is what they need.

My main caveat against live action is that there are too many threads and too many books to practically make it into a series. How would you be able to get 20+ something characters, at least, to sign up for a 14 season deal? You want to be able to actually finish the thing if you start it.

If cutting is needed, what should be cut you think? Whole threads, parts of the story? A storytelling technique that cuts down the fluff around everything?

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:36 AM
Youngling

fionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant futurefionwe1987 has a brilliant future

There is no way this will be 14 seasons. They will truncate the story massively. Expect it to be about the finding of Rand and friends and their eventual fight with the DO, but with many characters condensed down, and the same with storylines.

The bigger problem with staying true to the books is the minor characters. If you want some of these characters to appear for a bit in one season, not show up in the next few, then come back again where they're pretty much going to be in most episodes... Those aren't going to be easy contracts to write.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy View Post
Shannara got renewed.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Youngling

JOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of lightJOS is a glorious beacon of light

Harriet is excited! For now, that is enough for me.
One thing was sure. He was not what anyone thought. Those who believed they knew him were badly mistaken. He was transfigured, now. A force unto himself, and beyond any other power. They would all learn, eventually.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Well, she just got a load of cash, so I wouldn't read too much into that.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:12 PM
Youngling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Well, she just got a load of cash, so I wouldn't read too much into that.
I'm sure she has plenty of that, so hopefully she used better judgment with this deal than with Red Eagle. It'd be sad to see The Wheel of Time crash and burn on tv.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:21 PM
Youngling

Per Werthead from westeros, apparently an 8 figure sum changed hands. Pretty impressive, and that immediately eliminates a lot of smaller studios. Also, you don't option a property for that much unless you have a roadmap to production, so all the signs are encouraging.