art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 05-05-2016, 07:48 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Penn State deserves the death penalty

Joe Paterno knew about Sandusky in 1976.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/05...e_paterno.html
Old 05-05-2016, 09:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ivhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond reputeIvhon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Ivhon Send a message via Yahoo to Ivhon

At this point, the death penalty just punishes innocent people

Proud owner of the first post on TL's VBulletin forum (sorry...I had ta )

Greeter Emeritus
Old 05-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivhon View Post
At this point, the death penalty just punishes innocent people
In terms of the current players, who have nothing to do with the wrong-doing, yes. But they can transfer and play somewhere else.

It is, however, very difficult to feel sympathetic to the university or its fans, when they still defend and lionize Joe Paterno. Or when they have continued to fight back against both their criminal and civil liability, and against the sanctions previously handed down from the ncaa - here, inexplicably, with success. Or that after Bill O'Brien fled to the nfl, that they replaced him with another man (James Franklin) with a very checkered-past of liability in covering up sexual assaults while at the helm at Vanderbilt.

If there was ever another program that deserved the SMU treatment, it is clearly Penn State. All SMU did was pay players. Hell, half of the SEC does that. Ole Miss doesn't even bother to be coy about it. Penn State worships a man who harbored and enabled a child predator.

Last edited by Kimon; 05-05-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Ancient

This one is from 1971. Again, with direct obstruction by Joe Paterno.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/us/jer...inkId=24234146

Sandusky is in jail. Paterno has escaped justice (because he's dead - otherwise he'd be rotting in jail). Penn State is just as culpable in this as Paterno. They shouldn't be allowed to escape justice.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

They should find a way to bring JoePa back from the dead...just so they can kill him again.

PSU fans are still in total denial of course.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 05-08-2016, 06:03 PM
Ancient

On open letter from the president of Penn State...

http://news.psu.edu/story/409338/201...garding-recent

Quote:
Dear Friends:

Over the past few days, allegations have surfaced from individuals who claim to be Sandusky victims and from unidentified individuals about the alleged knowledge of former University employees. None of these allegations about the supposed knowledge of University employees has been substantiated in a court of law or in any other process to test their veracity.

I want you to know I am appalled by the rumor, innuendo and rush to judgment that have accompanied the media stories surrounding these allegations. All too often in our society, people are convicted in the court of public opinion, only to find a different outcome when all the facts are presented.

In contrast, over the last two days we have worked to be diligent in reanalyzing the record of reports and depositions to ensure that our reactions and comments are both responsible and trustworthy.

First, the allegations related to Penn State are simply not established fact. The two allegations related to knowledge by Coach Paterno are unsubstantiated and unsupported by any evidence other than a claim by an alleged victim. They date from the 1970s. Coach Paterno is not alive to refute them. His family has denied them.

Second, we cannot find any evidence, related to a settlement or otherwise, that an alleged early assault was communicated to Coach Paterno. This raises considerable credibility issues as to this press report. Others cite assistant coaches that were witnesses or had knowledge – stating it as fact in headlines and text – even in the face of a denial and clear failure to corroborate from the individuals allegedly involved. Other stories are clearly incredulous, and should be difficult for any reasonable person to believe. We should not be rendering judgments about the actions of Coach Paterno or any other former employees of Penn State based on incomplete, sensationalized media accounts.

I can think of few crimes as heinous as the sexual assault of a child. We are, as individuals and as an institution, appalled by Sandusky’s actions, and unified in our commitment to prevention, treatment and education. I encourage you to visit this link for information on Penn State’s commitment.

Unfortunately, we can’t control the 24/7 news cycle, and the tendency of some individuals in social media and the blogosphere to rush to judgment. But I have had enough of the continued trial of the institution in various media. We have all had enough. And while Penn State cannot always comment on allegations that emanate from legal proceedings, I thought it was important to let you know my reaction to the media frenzy that has ensued over the past few days. I am appalled.

Sincerely,

Eric Barron
President
Old 05-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

What a joke.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 05-09-2016, 03:24 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
On open letter from the president of Penn State...
The problem with this is that it comes off as defending a sex offender. We know Sandusky, and by extension Paterno, was guilty; it's perfectly within the limits of logic to believe this new accuser. And even if not, this is an inappropriate reaction by President Barron. The balance of our sympathy must always be overwhelmingly with victims, actual and potential.

It would be one thing if this was the first were hearing of anything. But it boggles the mind that Mr. Barron can so strenuously defend the legacy of proven sex offenders. His university was complicit in the most horrifying crime possible to commit; the sooner they accept responsibility and try to honestly atone, the better for everyone involved. They're already irredeemably guilty; fighting new allegations doesn't help anything or anyone.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:35 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Ozy, how many most horrifying crimes are there? I thought you put genocide on top of that list.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 05-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The problem with this is that it comes off as defending a sex offender. We know Sandusky, and by extension Paterno, was guilty; it's perfectly within the limits of logic to believe this new accuser. And even if not, this is an inappropriate reaction by President Barron. The balance of our sympathy must always be overwhelmingly with victims, actual and potential.
This, as it happens, is apparently part of their original settlement payments, so they have already essentially conceded the basic veracity of the crimes...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-back-as-1971/

This fight, and the source of his "appalled" reaction, is thus purely over the further injury to the sacred memory of Joe Paterno. If they would simply give up on apotheosizing him, and instead give him a much needed damnatio memoriae, this would be far less of a story. At present, their stance has the feel of both admitting that they were victims of Sandusky, and simulaneously arguing that regardless of being Sandusky's victims, that their claim that JoePa was complicit was an even more appalling crime than what Sandusky had done to them.

Last edited by Kimon; 05-09-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Happy Valley should be razed to the ground and then they should salt the earth.

Delenda Est Penn Publica!

Note: My latin is a bit rusty...been 18 years since I've used it.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:10 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Happy Valley should be razed to the ground and then they should salt the earth.

Delenda Est Penn Publica!

Note: My latin is a bit rusty...been 18 years since I've used it.
It works, though I would have placed the subject before the gerundive of obligation. "Penn Publica" also looks suspiciously like Google Translate. I'd go with "Paternus damnandus est", though your version is obviously a nice play on Cato's famous sententia.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

fun story, I remembered that publica/publicae was the word for State/country, etc so I ran it through Google Translate to see if I could get the right conjugation.

Like I said...been a long time for Latin.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:41 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
fun story, I remembered that publica/publicae was the word for State/country, etc so I ran it through Google Translate to see if I could get the right conjugation.

Like I said...been a long time for Latin.
Res publica means state. Publica by itself really just means public. So you technically said "Penn Public must be destroyed". Though urging that the "Pennsylvania Res Publica delenda est" might perhaps have confused Jove and resulted in his numen being called down on the entire state of Pennsylvania.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Res publica means state. Publica by itself really just means public. So you technically said "Penn Public must be destroyed". Though urging that the "Pennsylvania Res Publica delenda est" might perhaps have confused Jove and resulted in his numen being called down on the entire state of Pennsylvania.
Oh yeah...totally forgot it was res publica.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As Rumsfeld said: "stuff happens, we don't do body counts."
Old 05-10-2016, 04:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
As Rumsfeld said: "stuff happens, we don't do body counts."
I know one better, by Stalin: "One death is a tragedy. A million - statistics"

(he also said "No person - no problem")

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 05-10-2016, 06:02 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
I know one better, by Stalin: "One death is a tragedy. A million - statistics"

(he also said "No person - no problem")
Stalin was the more competent* statesman of the two, no doubt about that. But I'm not sure that conservative Americans would prefer him as an authority over one of their own.

* Note that I did not say "admirable". Though he might possibly win even that competition in this case.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Stalin was the more competent* statesman of the two, no doubt about that. But I'm not sure that conservative Americans would prefer him as an authority over one of their own.

* Note that I did not say "admirable". Though he might possibly win even that competition in this case.
it all depends on how you measure these things and what your survey group is like.

to quote another Soviet leader ( I think it was Brezhnev but I'm not 100% sure): "Politicians are the same everywhere. They promise to build a bridge even if there's no river"

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 05-10-2016, 06:59 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
it all depends on how you measure these things and what your survey group is like.

to quote another Soviet leader ( I think it was Brezhnev but I'm not 100% sure): "Politicians are the same everywhere. They promise to build a bridge even if there's no river"
But Stalin held on to power until after he died; Rumsfeld didn't. Stalin still has admirers, Rumsfeld doesn't.

I'm not saying Stalin was good. I am just saying that Rumsfeld was even more of a failure. Which, come to think of it, may not even be an altogether bad thing, in this particular competition.

Edited to add:
Whether one chooses to emulate Stalin or Rumsfeld in dealing with Pennsylvania State doesn't seem to matter all that much, so this is a mostly theoretical side discussion anyway.