art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Taer lives!!! Hey Taer!!!

Yeah! I got lucky and remembered all my log in stuff too!

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer View Post
That definitely comes in handy.

I guess it's too much to ask that you just keep yourself logged in?

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What have you been up to lately? The Mrs. and me moved to Denver if you hadn't heard so we've been super busy.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-16-2016, 07:28 PM

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
What have you been up to lately? The Mrs. and me moved to Denver if you hadn't heard so we've been super busy.
Congrats! Still watching Mamma Mia everyday?

Well, since it's been a long time since I've been on, I'll give you a deep update.

We got complete custody of both kids about a year and a half ago. Mother is no longer in the picture and Al is looking at adopting Sarah.

Jon is almost 20 now and talking about joining the Air Force. He's dying to go to Jordancon. Believe it or not, he's having a conniption to sit down and jam with Terez about a few things.

Sarah has a new device called a PRC 1400. It's an eye gaze device that speaks for her. It's incredibly cool technology. When I can get some good video of her using it, I'll post it here. In the meantime, look up PRC 1400 on you tube or the webs and you should be able to see how it works. They said it might be a year or two before she was able to start putting sentences together, and in 3 months, she's already started making 3 word sentences. It's pretty funny when I try to help her with something and she says "Stop! Don't!" She's definitely a 15 yr old girl. We're looking at scoliosis surgery in the very near future...it scares the shit outta me, but it has to be done.

Wife and I are good...really good. We bought a new house about 2 years ago. We're working on getting a stairlift so I can go back to work full time. I quit smoking, even though I have a cigar now and then. I did yoga with my 10 yr old for about a month and thought I was going to DIE!

Jake is still playing baseball. He also loves to sing. I'm pushing him towards chorus in middle school. He hates to read (go figure) so we are fighting that. He's ten and reads at about a 6 or 7 yr old level. It's not because he can't, it's because he just doesn't want to do it. He's comprehension is pitiful. If anyone has any pointers, then send them my way. We've tried comic books, magazines, short stories and intervention, but nothing works. Now we're slow,y taking things away until he decides that we're not playing.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Frenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond reputeFrenzy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Frenzy Send a message via Yahoo to Frenzy

Have you tried having him read to Murphy?

"How the hell do you Godwin a thread with CUCUMBERS!!?" -- Tru

"I love cucumber prawn... " -- Ivhon

"Have to catch me first. Scared shitless always outruns mad as hell." -- Sinistrum

"Some days I'm happy Frenzy doesn't live next door." -- Tamyrlin

"So Frenzy is a scientist then?" -- Davian
"Well duh. An Evil scientist. " -- Khoram
Old 10-18-2016, 06:22 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Jake is still playing baseball. He also loves to sing. I'm pushing him towards chorus in middle school. He hates to read (go figure) so we are fighting that. He's ten and reads at about a 6 or 7 yr old level. It's not because he can't, it's because he just doesn't want to do it. He's comprehension is pitiful.
How do you know he can read but doesn't want to. Has he been tested for dyslexia or some other learning disability?

What you describe sounds much like my younger daughter at that age. She's pushing 40, now, and still doesn't read much beyond fourth or fifth grade level and is horribly slow if she's going to have any comprehension at all. Even if he's been tested, some forms of dyslexia and learning disabilities don't show up until later than normal testing for that kind of thing happens.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, it may have something to do with the reading material present. I had that exact issue. I could read, but the reading material the teachers gave me was not holding my interest. It took stumbling on Animorphs in the 3rd grade before I found something that actually gave me something decent to read.

Maybe see if there are different books out there that can interest him?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Not any advice really but maybe some hope - my brother was like that. It took him forever to demonstrate that he could read (he could, he just didn't want to until the rule " those who cannot read, cannot play with the computer" was instated. Anyway, he proved he could read, and then did as little of it as he possibly could. He just didn't want to. It took until University to get him to actually read a proper book. We recently had a talk about how he's now really enjoying reading (he's in the middle of a Warren Buffett autobiography right now) and he makes a point to read half an hour every night

Speaking of computers, how about some games that have lots of text? Or where you need to interact with other players via reading and typing rather than talking?

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 AM

It's not any kind of disability, like dyslexia. In my opinion anyway. He hates reading so much that he rushes through it and misses a lot of words. For instance, when he tests, if the question is mutilple choice and asks which is NOT in the story, he'll generally pick the one that is because he skipped the not part of the question. He does this a lot when he reads to me. He just wants to be done with it so he tries to get done as fast as he can.

His writing is also good, other than the spelling mistakes you'd expect from a 5th grader. Although he does hate to write almost as much as he hates to read.

I guess we just have to keep encouraging him until we figure something out that works.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's not any kind of disability, like dyslexia. In my opinion anyway. He hates reading so much that he rushes through it and misses a lot of words. For instance, when he tests, if the question is mutilple choice and asks which is NOT in the story, he'll generally pick the one that is because he skipped the not part of the question. He does this a lot when he reads to me. He just wants to be done with it so he tries to get done as fast as he can.

His writing is also good, other than the spelling mistakes you'd expect from a 5th grader. Although he does hate to write almost as much as he hates to read.

I guess we just have to keep encouraging him until we figure something out that works.
Now this is just my distant two cents based entirely on how you describe his behaviour, but it sounds like he is caught in an anxiety cycle. There probably isn't an actual trauma involved which he associates with reading, but the act is unpleasant to him. I'd guess he first just found it boring, then that lack of motivation lead to bad results which he as one would expect didn't like. I'd say his general mood is that he has to be good at something he doesn't like doing and the pressure builds up and he fails. So in spite of the work put in he fails and so it all seems like a waste of time. Why work when failing is absolute? Rewarding success doesn't work when he has no confidence.

Now this part is just a possibility and I have no reason to assume that it happened, but if he at some point did succeed and felt the reward was insufficient it would explain a lot. And I stress that the point is how he felt about it not whether the feeling was justified.

To sum up problems and solutions:

1) Lack of motivation. Find something he actually likes to read.

2) Lack of confidence. Show him that there are degrees in failure and success. Reward improvement.

3) Trust. Make sure that he knows you are on his side no matter what. Tell him that you want him to live a happy life and that this skill is necessary for that.

4) The possible disapointment in rewards. Let him name a reward and then set your demands for it. Be very careful in this. If his demands are unreasonable explain why and encourage him to ask for something else. Again how he values things is the measure you should go with, not how society sees things and not how you see them.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 10-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You could put a belt, a hammer and a book down on the table and ask him to choose...

~not serious~

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Quote:
Congrats! Still watching Mamma Mia everyday?

Well, since it's been a long time since I've been on, I'll give you a deep update.

We got complete custody of both kids about a year and a half ago. Mother is no longer in the picture and Al is looking at adopting Sarah.

Jon is almost 20 now and talking about joining the Air Force. He's dying to go to Jordancon. Believe it or not, he's having a conniption to sit down and jam with Terez about a few things.

Sarah has a new device called a PRC 1400. It's an eye gaze device that speaks for her. It's incredibly cool technology. When I can get some good video of her using it, I'll post it here. In the meantime, look up PRC 1400 on you tube or the webs and you should be able to see how it works. They said it might be a year or two before she was able to start putting sentences together, and in 3 months, she's already started making 3 word sentences. It's pretty funny when I try to help her with something and she says "Stop! Don't!" She's definitely a 15 yr old girl. We're looking at scoliosis surgery in the very near future...it scares the shit outta me, but it has to be done.

Wife and I are good...really good. We bought a new house about 2 years ago. We're working on getting a stairlift so I can go back to work full time. I quit smoking, even though I have a cigar now and then. I did yoga with my 10 yr old for about a month and thought I was going to DIE!

Jake is still playing baseball. He also loves to sing. I'm pushing him towards chorus in middle school. He hates to read (go figure) so we are fighting that. He's ten and reads at about a 6 or 7 yr old level. It's not because he can't, it's because he just doesn't want to do it. He's comprehension is pitiful. If anyone has any pointers, then send them my way. We've tried comic books, magazines, short stories and intervention, but nothing works. Now we're slow,y taking things away until he decides that we're not playing.
Good to hear you are doing well And that Sarah is doing great!

I guess you are pushing Jake to read because it's necessary for school?
Because i don't think he will discover the joys of reading if he is pushed
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Huh. To me that sounds more like he's bored and impatient to get it done with. Quite common with gifted children forced to work way below their level. Have you tried if challenging him more peaks his interest?

On the other hand, it also sounds like my problem with simple arithmetic - I just can't do it. I'm fine with vectors and geometry and variables and theory but ask me what's 15+9-8 and it'll take a ridiculous amount of time. I'll get it, I just really have to focus and double check and triple check before giving the answer.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 10-19-2016, 05:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
On the other hand, it also sounds like my problem with simple arithmetic - I just can't do it. I'm fine with vectors and geometry and variables and theory but ask me what's 15+9-8 and it'll take a ridiculous amount of time. I'll get it, I just really have to focus and double check and triple check before giving the answer.
The trick to arithmetic is to group the likes to make round numbers or do the simple stuff first. In your example, if you add the 9 to 15 (24) and then subtract the 8 (16) its a good deal more complicated than doing 9-8 (1) + 15.

Which might be a similar problem to the reading.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, if you shuffle around words in sentences the way you can do terms in arithmetic, the results may occasionally not be what the writer intended.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

That's because ease the rules for languages and the rules for math are different.

That said you can still rearrange a sentence, pick some better words that have the same or similar meanings and make a sentence easier to understand.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
That's because ease the rules for languages and the rules for math are different.

That said you can still rearrange a sentence, pick some better words that have the same or similar meanings and make a sentence easier to understand.
Yeah, but if you do that with someone else's sentence, the result isn't always what was intended, is it?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Language has rules. As long you follow them you should be ok.