art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 04-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute
Default The problem with friends

I often turn to you guys for advice, partly because we are a diverse crowd, and conversely because we are somewhat kindred spirits. I struggle with this a lot, and I wonder if any of you can relate.

If I Hide Myself Wherever I go, Am I Ever Really There?

This is a lyric from the Barenaked Ladies song "For You". The greatest lyrics can sum up such complex issues into one succinct line.

So, like many people, I am a mixture of both extroverted and introverted tendencies. I enjoy being with people. I enjoy deep discussions or just a night of playing games and having a few drinks. I benefit from social interaction. And when at it's best, I feel energized.

On the other hand, I am very content to just be with myself. I do not need social contact to maintain a healthy state of mind. And if I was to be truly honest, I am happiest when I am left alone.

Now, here's the rub. I thrive off strong opinions. And I love to discuss them and be challenged on them (like most of you here). However, I simultaneously worry obsessively about offending people. And I have offended people. Lately (and for most of my life, really) getting together with friends generally means a pep talk to myself before hand to "Not say anything about anything". I look in the mirror and actually say to myself "Don't say anything about anything." What I mean is not that I don't participate in conversation, but that I keep all my comments benign and fluffy. I try to curb any provocative or challenging thought that might cross my mind in the name of peace and tranquility. And I am left feeling dismal.

I often end an evening with friends wondering what it is all for? Friendship, I mean. The only person in the world I feel comfortable and completely open with is my husband. And this is partly why I often wonder why I need friends at all. I have a confidant in my partner. And if friendship just means playing a role and acting a part, what is the point? And I know what you are thinking. You are thinking "you should just be who you are, be genuine and don't conform for the sake of others". Well, I would certainly cause friction in a lot of our friendships. And I say our friendships because my friends are also my husbands friends. And you are also thinking "If you can't be yourself, then they are not truly friends." I agree. However, while I might be okay with letting certain friendships slide to oblivion, he would not be.

And so I am left at social gatherings, with friends that my husband enjoys very much, biting my tongue and being as socially bland as possible. Or, sometimes I let opinions slip (especially after a few drinks) and end up upsetting someone. Either way, a night with friends most often leaves me feeling profoundly alone. More alone than when I am actually just alone with myself. It is this irony that leaves me wondering if it is really worth it, this friendship thing.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 04-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Friendship error: replace friends and try again.

Which, admittedly, may be phrased just a bit too strongly. However, if those friends are such snowflakes that a few comments from you could drive them away, then they don't have what it takes to be your friend, do they? I suspect at least some of them are tougher than you give them credit for, but I admit that figuring out which can be a bit messy now and then.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Friendship error: replace friends and try again.

Which, admittedly, may be phrased just a bit too strongly. However, if those friends are such snowflakes that a few comments from you could drive them away, then they don't have what it takes to be your friend, do they? I suspect at least some of them are tougher than you give them credit for, but I admit that figuring out which can be a bit messy now and then.
I know you are right. And I know that some of them are likely less sensitive than I am imagining. But a few bad experiences has made me gun shy. It is so much easier to just not try...especially when it is so easy for me to just stay home and read.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Are the snowflakes in general women or men? In my experience, women seem to take stuff like that more seriously and more personally than a guy who will tend to blow it off and not hold a grudge, etc. That's not a hard and fast rule but overall it seems to be the case.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 04-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

I hate to confirm the stereotype, but the majority is the women in the group that I worry about. Not exclusively, but the majority for sure.

I feel like I am a bad mix of feeling very passionate about issues and yet very afraid to step on toes. It kind of leaves me socially crippled.

Don't get me wrong, if you ask anyone they will think I am outgoing and funny and would not suspect this underlying angst of never really feeling free to be myself. But the result is I don't actually feel very close to any of my friends.

Gah- I was hoping someone here has felt the same way, but maybe its just me

Old 04-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel pretty much the same way if that helps...especially with my family members.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 04-18-2017, 01:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I feel pretty much the same way if that helps...especially with my family members.
Ah, but there you don't have to mince words. After all, a friend can unfriend you, but a sibling can't unbrother you.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 AM
Ancient

Purple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of lightPurple Dragon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Ah, but there you don't have to mince words. After all, a friend can unfriend you, but a sibling can't unbrother you.
Trust me... it CAN be done...
Adopted Big Brother to Birgitte (the lazy git
Adopted Big Brother to Sarafelle - The Brave
Master Asha'man Dragon of Cary the Fairy and T'rubarb
Old 04-18-2017, 04:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Dragon View Post
Trust me... it CAN be done...
Now that you mention it, I once heard a story about two brothers called Cain and Abel ...
Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
You haven't met my family...

For example, my brother and father didn't speak for the final 8 years of my father's life because of a disagreement.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

I feel similarly, though for the opposite reasons. I am afraid of coming across as dumb if I voice my opinions, etc.

I will say, something I've noticed is that a lot of people aren't used to disagreements, in a sense. I notice everyone here doesn't qualify their language when disagreeing with things like 'well I think' and 'I'm not sure' and I know people that are super intimidated by that level of certainty and then... defense mechanisms.

I'd suggest maybe soft-balling your approach to voicing your opinions? Do things like "well, I'm not sure, but I think X about Y" or even (but make sure to not use a condescending tone) ask them "interesting. what do you think?" etc

My father was a blunt man so I grew up just stating things but I've learned a lot of people take that aggressively, and more inclined to get offended at that rather than at what you're actually saying.

EDIT: As for what friends are for, I'm not entirely sure. I like to think it's good to have a separate life than that of your spouse, and friends are a vehicle for that. But I'm also unwed and young, so I could be entirely off the mark there.

Last edited by connabard; 04-18-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
I feel similarly, though for the opposite reasons. I am afraid of coming across as dumb if I voice my opinions, etc.

I will say, something I've noticed is that a lot of people aren't used to disagreements, in a sense. I notice everyone here doesn't qualify their language when disagreeing with things like 'well I think' and 'I'm not sure' and I know people that are super intimidated by that level of certainty and then... defense mechanisms.

I'd suggest maybe soft-balling your approach to voicing your opinions? Do things like "well, I'm not sure, but I think X about Y" or even (but make sure to not use a condescending tone) ask them "interesting. what do you think?" etc

My father was a blunt man so I grew up just stating things but I've learned a lot of people take that aggressively, and more inclined to get offended at that rather than at what you're actually saying.

EDIT: As for what friends are for, I'm not entirely sure. I like to think it's good to have a separate life than that of your spouse, and friends are a vehicle for that. But I'm also unwed and young, so I could be entirely off the mark there.

Bah, that's ridiculous.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:59 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post

Great take on it connabard! My dad was also (and still is) very blunt with his opinions. I definitely take after him, and really enjoy a good battle of wits. But I have to realize that not everyone appreciates (or understands) that kind of thing My approach is something to work on for sure.

On reflection I realize I can definitely come off strongly, and it doesn't even reflect certainty in my stance- but more my excitement to be engaging in some deeper topics of conversation. I just need to tamper my enthusiasm a little so I can be more circumspect in my approach.

What a great aha! moment

Old 04-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Great Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to allGreat Lord of the Dark is a name known to all
Default Same here

I endure similar scenarios Brita, because I like rocking boats, and others worry worry worry.

I have found you can get away with saying all manner of ridiculous opinions if you say them in a way that allows that you're making fun of yourself too.

My other tactic is to state my opinions in a way that offers something that may be of value to a discussion, and hope to receive something that may be of interest to me.

But most of the world didn't improve their debate/engagement skills via Theoryland.

I also figure if my spouse can check her facebook feed no matter who is around, then I am justified in pulling out my phone when the conversation doesn't allow for full Tyler to be expressed.

I also have a group of friends who get together once a month where we are all comfortable in full out arguments, and we are not fit company for lesser mortals. But it is a good outlet.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lord of the Dark View Post
I also have a group of friends who get together once a month where we are all comfortable in full out arguments, and we are not fit company for lesser mortals. But it is a good outlet.
Sounds like a group I would enjoy

This has been so excellent, great suggestions everyone. Thanks. I feel much better about it now that I am armed with disarming ways.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Sounds like a group I would enjoy
Doesn't everyone fit in with the Friends of the Dark?
Old 04-21-2017, 07:58 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the same way, Brita. I can count my really good friends on three fingers of one hand, and that's if one of them is my wife.

I think we can agree that I have strong opinions and I express them when I feel like I need to do so. Most of the time it's not even worth it to me. That's a terrible thing to say but it's better than being called names and told that I'm stupid. Especially after this election it's been really bad. I have lots of "friends" that don't talk to me anymore. Truly, I just don't care, I feel like they'll either come back around or they were a seasonal friend anyway and not worth pursuing a deeper friendship with.

That being said, I had several wonderful discussions with GLotD at Jordancon last year. He's a deep opinionated guy and so am I. We had an unspoken agreement that we would talk it out and not fight it. If you ever meet him, you'll understand what I mean. The funny thing is, after a few discussions I figured out that we really weren't terribly far apart anyway.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:57 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

What kind of opinions are we talking about exactly? Politics? It's usually politics

A few of my friends friends doesn't share my views, I just never bring that stuff up when being with them. We share other interests that we can focus on when hanging out.

If it's opinions you care deeply about, voice them.

If you have to tip-toe around a mine field of possible disruptive arguments, I would definitely think long and hard if it's really worth it.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
What kind of opinions are we talking about exactly? Politics? It's usually politics
It could be the Kardassians instead. Or whatever substitute for those is en vogue in Canada, of course. Maybe Brita had Bieber problems.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
It could be the Kardassians instead. Or whatever substitute for those is en vogue in Canada, of course. Maybe Brita had Bieber problems.
Yep, I definitely have Bieber issues that cannot be discussed. Ever.

It's actually significant differences in general outlooks on life, and this affects many many topics. And it is a bit of a mine field. It affects things like parenting, work and leisure. It touches almost everything about General life. It is an extreme type "A" couple (teachers ), and a much more type "B" couple (us). And then their clash with our VERY type "B" friends whose children they teach. And that leaves very few topics we can discuss openly without offending them.

My husband really enjoys his friendship with the husband- and I ley my relationship with them slide at this pint without being obvious. so I just need to keep my mouth shut and enjoy what conversation I can.