art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-06-2017, 11:04 PM
Ancient

Jalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Jalyn Send a message via MSN to Jalyn Send a message via Yahoo to Jalyn
Default American Gods - on Starz

It's been years since I read this story, and I really tried to give the show a chance.

I sat through the Anansi coming to America story and told myself that they understood that slaves sacrificing themselves to Anansi rather than overtaking the ship and trying to make their way home was a god taking advantage of their naivety rather then a reasonable sacrifice to a beneficial god.

I don't care about changes to the narrative - hell, it's been long enough since a read the book that I don't recognize changes to the story.

I certainly had no problem with djinn/cabbie sex scene. (I mention it because I hear that it was an issue.)

And then I watched the last episode... Which started with apparently modern Mexicans being gunned down as they crossed the Rio Grande in sacrifice to "Mexican Jesus." Er? No one is going to be summarily shot as they try to cross into the country. Does anyone seriously believe this? And think that any person that arbitrarily gunned down people (including children) coming across the river would not be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law? Right. "Liberal Wet Dream #1"

I groused, calmed down and continued to watch - and then we got to Vulcan. (Liberal Wet Dream #2) Who apparently had managed to cultivate a Nazi town in middle America. And I winced. And then I watched this "gun toting" apparently gun savvy people fire all of their guns in the air, in a completely NRA unapproved maneuver, not caring where the bullets might land. Oh, and, of course, they were painted to be complete white supremacists in a way where no town in the US would possibly exist.

And. Here's how fucking inured to Hollywood's liberal bias I am - had these happened in separate episodes, I'd have rolled my eyes (and called my Dad to say "seriously, people think that there is a possibility of illegal immigrants being indiscriminately shot down on the Rio Grande!") and let it go because "gods" make everything bigger. The gun control bullshit would have probably not even have crossed my radar because it is so damn common. The only reason that I noticed enough to even comment on it is that they were audacious enough to put in them in the same episode.

Again, I don't remember Gaiman's American Gods well enough to throw "they are fucking up the adaptation" stones - but I don't remember ever feeling like the author hated a subset of the American people - and that's what this episode said to me.

I remember American Gods as a celebration of the diversity of this country - in both worship and basic beliefs - i find it sad that the adaptation couldn't find the heart to follow that lead.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Ancient

Jalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of lightJalyn is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Jalyn Send a message via MSN to Jalyn Send a message via Yahoo to Jalyn

Also. Damnit. I've been looking for a non-political post that I could reply to for DAYS because this wasn't how I wanted to come back...
Old 06-07-2017, 02:50 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, just to cheer you up: try to imagine what Trump would have tweeted about any of the issues you mentioned.
Spoiler:
The thing that should cheer you up in this is that apparently he didn't watch.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I absolutely hated the book and it was a struggle to even finish it.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember that I've considered trying it at least a couple of times. I can't remember whether or not I did actually read it. Does that count, and if so, for what?
Old 06-07-2017, 12:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
I absolutely hated the book and it was a struggle to even finish it.
Me too! In fact I haven't finished it and probably never will.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 06-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Elder

Leanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the roughLeanne is a jewel in the rough

This is interesting. I have a very close friend that loves the story and has been telling me to read so I can watch the TV series after. We have similar taste in TV shows at least. I have started numerous times and always just keep abandoning it. I thought it was just me being busy, I don't read much at all anymore. Maybe there is more to it then that.

I'm still going to give it a go though.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

I read the book many many times, and I enjoy the series.

I am shocked- SHOCKED- to hear that there may be exceptional or fantastic elements in this adaptation.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 06-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
I read the book many many times, and I enjoy the series.

I am shocked- SHOCKED- to hear that there may be exceptional or fantastic elements in this adaptation.
Pretty sure I didn't suggest a problem with fantastical elements (and a quick glance through the thread indicates I'm the only one that has had a problem with the adaptation - everyone else that's familiar with it has said that they didn't like the source work) My issue was entirely with political issues.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

But politics are GREAT again, aren't they?
Spoiler:
Could I take credit for that? Should I?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 AM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalyn View Post
Pretty sure I didn't suggest a problem with fantastical elements (and a quick glance through the thread indicates I'm the only one that has had a problem with the adaptation - everyone else that's familiar with it has said that they didn't like the source work) My issue was entirely with political issues.
Complaining about political portrayals that you decry as totally unrealistic is a strange tactic. It's not as if the entire show is over the top or anything. That you chose to read politics into these things that I took as expressions of the myriad evolution of faith in America entirely in keeping with the source material... Well, that's something in itself, isn't it?

And as I understand it, Vulcan (who did not appear in the book) was created by Gaiman for use in the show. So...you may be barking up the wrong tree suggesting his inclusion is somehow contrary to the original intent of the author.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin

Last edited by StrangePackage; 06-14-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:28 AM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Haven't read the book, but I love the show.

If nothing else it's different.

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 07-25-2017, 06:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Me too! In fact I haven't finished it and probably never will.
me three. I did finish it but it took an effort.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill