art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2017, 04:36 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Doctor?

Peter Capaldi is "stepping down" as the Doctor.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38805151

Have to believe this was a euphemism for him being fired.

Will be interesting to see if the show just takes a hiatus, or if they make the effort to do something tangential to reinvigorate the franchise a bit. I've been watching some of the old Tom Baker episodes on the local pbs, and I kind of wish they would just do something random, like say, have the next iteration follow a regenerated version of Romana (perhaps even bring back Lalla Ward for the first episode), rather than have yet another regeneration of the Doctor. They never did explain what happened to her after she decided to ditch (probably because he and Lalla's real life marriage was falling apart) Tom Baker's version of the Doctor.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

That was a pretty short stint as Doctor. Honestly, Capaldi never really made a good Doctor anyway.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 01-31-2017, 05:42 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they have charles dance as the new doctor and have him be a menacing, crotchety presence.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 01-31-2017, 10:04 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
That was a pretty short stint as Doctor. Honestly, Capaldi never really made a good Doctor anyway.
I am of the opinion Doctor Who never really made a good effort of being a tv show

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

I liked Capaldi as the Doctor, so I'm disappointed that he won't be back. My sister is a huge fan, and she's also disappointed, although when I broke the news to her, she thought I was telling her he had died. XD

Think they're gonna go redhead woman?

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoram View Post
I liked Capaldi as the Doctor, so I'm disappointed that he won't be back. My sister is a huge fan, and she's also disappointed, although when I broke the news to her, she thought I was telling her he had died. XD

Think they're gonna go redhead woman?
We can hope...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 01-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
We can hope...
I think a woman would be a good choice, but if by redhead he meant Catherine Tate, no. Donna was one of the few recent characters that I found even more annoying than Peter Capaldi.

BBC has a couple of names that they, and apparently casting types have thrown out and speculated upon.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38808070

Personally, I think Emma Watson would make the ideal choice. Catherine Tate is unfortunately also on this list.

Addendum:

Steven Moffat is apparently also leaving...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38801228

Quote:
Capaldi, who plays the 12th Doctor, will return for a new series of the show in April, with his final episode shown at Christmas.
His final series also marks the departure of lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat.

Last edited by Kimon; 01-31-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:50 PM
Elder

Khoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant futureKhoram has a brilliant future

A lot of people don't like Moffat, though. Or, at least, he infuriates them. I honestly haven't been watching Dr. Who enough for it to really matter to me.

I don't know if I could see Emma Watson as the Doctor. Not that I really know anything; see, that's what the military really teaches you: how you know nothing, and will never really know enough. XD Especially about important things, like who would be a good replacement for the Doctor.

Life is a dream from which we all must wake before we can dream again.

Al dival, al kiserai, al mashi! - For light, glory, and love!

Carai an manshimaya ayend'an! - Honor of my blade for the fallen.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

Idris Elba...he can play any role.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:53 AM
Youngling

SomeOneElse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope the good old Doctor is back because everyone is tired of this Moffat's bullshit
Old 07-16-2017, 03:15 PM
Ancient

Finally announced - Jodie Whittaker. She was good in Broadchurch, so hopefully this will be an improvement over the mistake that was Capaldi, though in his defense, the show's writing has been getting stale, so it wasn't all his fault.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertain...-lord-unveiled
Old 07-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOneElse View Post
Hope the good old Doctor is back because everyone is tired of this Moffat's bullshit
Been tired of that shit. So glad he's heading on.

Can you imagine him trying to write a woman doctor? Yeesh

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 07-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangePackage View Post
Been tired of that shit. So glad he's heading on.

Can you imagine him trying to write a woman doctor? Yeesh
Moffat wrote a bunch of great episodes, and two of his best Who episodes were focused more on a standalone female lead rather than on the Doctor - The Girl in the Fireplace & Blink. The quality of the writing for the Who episodes however seemed to take a nosedive starting around '12, coinciding likely with the fact that he was also writing for Sherlock, and likely was getting bored with Who.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Ancient

StrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant futureStrangePackage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Moffat wrote a bunch of great episodes, and two of his best Who episodes were focused more on a standalone female lead rather than on the Doctor - The Girl in the Fireplace & Blink. The quality of the writing for the Who episodes however seemed to take a nosedive starting around '12, coinciding likely with the fact that he was also writing for Sherlock, and likely was getting bored with Who.
He wrote a few good episodes and came up with some creative entities which he ran into the fucking ground, every woman he ever wrote seemed to exist exclusively in their relation to the Doctor/Sherlock, and he sucked all the emotional gravity out of the Whoverse and even undid the emotional core of an entire Doctor with his love affair of the Big Reset Button.

I will not miss him.

"My country, right or wrong," is a thing that no patriot would think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying, "My mother, drunk or sober."- G.K. Chesterton

"A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day."- Calvin
Old 07-25-2017, 06:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

1) Capaldi's fine. Loads better than Matt Smith (please don't shoot me... I just have extremaly low tolerance for boymen/manboys whateverthehell you call the Matt Cauthon archetype)

2) Cool, a female Doctor

3) Moffat... eh. I must admit, I find the writing for Sherlock hard to follow/laying it on thick sometimes/miraculously stretching 10 minutes of content into (what feels like) 30 minutes of dialogue. I very much enjoyed several single episodes of Who of the past few seasons, but overall there seemed to be a lack of direction or common thread

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
1) Capaldi's fine. Loads better than Matt Smith (please don't shoot me... I just have extremaly low tolerance for boymen/manboys whateverthehell you call the Matt Cauthon archetype)
Matt Smith's tenure was largely carried more by Karen Gillan. David Tennant has been by far the best doctor since Tom Baker. Still liked Smith far more than Capaldi. I felt like the show went into precipitous decline once they killed off Amy Pond. Bringing in Clara (Jenna Coleman) helped, but I liked her far better with Matt Smith than with Capaldi.

I think it a mark of how much better Tennant was than the other modern doctors (except John Hurt - he was excellent in that brief stint as the War Doctor) that even having boring companions didn't hurt the strength of his doctor. With Smith and Capaldi, I either liked their companion better than them, or didn't like their companion, and then stopped watching.