art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > WHEEL OF TIME FORUMS > General Wheel of Time Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 09-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Youngling

Lady Noble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few chapters in and I'm not hooked...

Newbie!
Decided to attempt the WOT series now that it's completed. However, I'm a few chapters in and I'm not hooked... I'm just coming off GOT and I know they're two different stories (although the coin Moraine gave them in Chapter 2 felt very Faceless Men and I'm wondering if it'll be of more importance later?), but I'm hoping there will be theories and character cross overs like GOT to keep me involved in the series because that's the type of stuff I like most.

Any advice to a newbie to keep me into it?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:29 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Noble View Post
Newbie!
Decided to attempt the WOT series now that it's completed. However, I'm a few chapters in and I'm not hooked... I'm just coming off GOT and I know they're two different stories (although the coin Moraine gave them in Chapter 2 felt very Faceless Men and I'm wondering if it'll be of more importance later?), but I'm hoping there will be theories and character cross overs like GOT to keep me involved in the series because that's the type of stuff I like most.

Expecting more real politik kind of thing? That really doesn't happen until later on.

The beginning of WOT is more akin to Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit than A Song of Ice And Fire. In that it starts in a quiet village area with hints of dark and immense things to come. Its also very "adventure" oriented.

Where GOT explores grey characters, constantly backstabbing one another, Wheel of Time, like Lord of the Rings, explores history, cultures, and the tail of a bunch of backwater kids getting thrown out into the world.

Now, there is some "Game of Thrones" in the series, however its better known as "The Game of Houses" or "The Great Game".

For Moiraine, well, you're right that there is quite a bit to her character. There is a prequel book that actually is about her and Lan, but I'd wait until about half way through the books before going to that. And the coin will play a part.

But something to keep in mind; keep Game of Thrones to Game of Thrones. The Wheel of Time series is very much its own thing.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

There are indeed going to be plenty of things like those coins which become important later on. And there are also going to be red herrings. Sometimes those things may even be the same. In this specific case I can tell that Moiraine intends the coins to be potentially useful to her, but whether or not that works as planned (and what that plan is) you'll have to read in the following chapters.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Robert Jordan excelled at foreshadowing future events and fulfilling Prophecies in unexpected ways. Lots of conflict between predestination and free-will with reincarnation added to spice things up.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Youngling

Default Better

So, it's getting better, .
I enjoy history and culture in a fantasy book, but I want to either love or hate a character, you know? Not just feel lukewarm about ALL of them.

I'm starting to really like Rand. As the main character it makes sense that he'd be likable. I loved reading him worry about his horse. And how he'd stay behind if Egwene and Bela fell behind. I also think he made Bela run faster. Somehow. Or he piggy backed off of Moraine's power. I'm not sure. That horse better not die, that's all I'm saying, lol.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:18 AM
Youngling

Default Yassss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Robert Jordan excelled at foreshadowing future events and fulfilling Prophecies in unexpected ways. Lots of conflict between predestination and free-will with reincarnation added to spice things up.
This is definitely what's keeping me going. What I loved most about GOT is how the most seemingly insignificant event (usually just a one-liner) had a HUGE effect on how the story turned out. I'm seeing a bit of that in WOT so far. (The coin, Bela running faster, etc.)

Also, I don't think Moraine is 100% good. I don't think she's evil, but I don't think she's good, either. The relationship between her and Lan interests me. Not sure if it's a Jorah/Dany thing or if Lan is secretly plotting against her.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, welcome

Quote:
That horse better not die, that's all I'm saying, lol.
Ok, it's not a big spoiler, but still:

Spoiler:
there used to be running gags about Bela being immrotal, or maybe a Forsaken in disguise. Or the Creator. She just doesn't die

If you're still in Eye of the World, yeah, that book has a more "Standard Fantasy" feel to it, and includes a few things known as "EotW-isms" - meaning, stuff that happens or is foreshadowed but then never mentioned again in the rest of the series. It's also the most stand-alone of all the books.

As for getting hooked by characters... Egwene rules and Mat sucks! (in all seriousness, there are whole forums filled with character love/hate, that people feel REALLY strongly about. Some of them you'll meet way further along. We at Theoryland have a rule about bashing certain characters *ahem* Egwene *ahem*)

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 09-27-2017, 03:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
We at Theoryland have a rule about bashing certain characters *ahem* Egwene *ahem*)
It's mandatory, but not everyone understands the rule. It is generally considered polite to ignore such ignorance, though occasionally attempts to alleviate it are made.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Elder

Weiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond reputeWeiramon has a reputation beyond repute

Burn my soul, it is good to see another noble hereabouts. And a Lady no less.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

Quote:
Newbie!

Welcome!!

I have read the series 10+ times but I had a hard time getting through The Eye of the World the first time (read the first 100 pages, put the book down for a year before starting again and getting hooked). Just about all the books in the series start slowly and build up to an action climax that is worth it. There are many many theories and character cross-overs, but you will only see the theory foreshadowing at first, and the character cross-overs once the characters split up.

Just from your first few posts, I can see that the book is making you think about what is going on behind the scenes. You have barely scratched the surface though!! And with regard to having feelings for and getting to know characters, that will definitely happen if you keep reading - The Eye of the World only has a few main POV characters, while future books have many more so that you can see the world from and appreciate different perspectives.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 10-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP makes me feel very old.

And, have hope, tEotW starts off very slowly but it definitely gets more interesting a couple hundred pages into it.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-08-2017, 06:09 PM
Youngling

Tomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant futureTomp has a brilliant future

You will notice that there are many similarities between the first books in WoT and LOTR.
This is because Jordan wanted to start in a "familiar place" and then take it into new areas with later books.

There will be some political maneuvering later on and there will certainly be a lot of hidden agendas and conflicting motives.
The first 3 books have a definite quest feeling about them and then the series takes on a larger scope with several different cultures being explored in distinct and interesting ways.

I think a few lines that Moiraine tells one of the other characters in chapter 13 is also directed at the reader.

“Ask,” Moiraine was saying, “and if I can tell you now I will. Understand, there is much for which you are not yet ready, things you cannot learn until you have learned other things which require still others to be learned before them. But ask what you will.”
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Marx)
Old 10-09-2017, 04:12 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

It gets better.
The whole series can be loosely split into sections

Books 1-3:various Quests. Go here. Get that. Get out.

Books 4-6: world(s) building. This is my favourite set of fantasy novels.

7-9: set up and pay off for the sibgle biggest event in the series.

10: shit

11-13: set up for the finale.

14: big finish.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 10-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Books 4-6: world(s) building. This is my favourite set of fantasy novels.
Yup, mine too.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-10-2017, 01:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Yup, mine too.
and mine. 6 is the best

I disagree about 10, especially in re-reads. Although I understand that when you're reading it for the first time, you'll be frustrated because the story seems stuck. And then it's finished and you'll NOT have to wait before picking up the next one. That's possibly the best part about 10

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill
Old 10-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Youngling

connabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really niceconnabard is just really nice

4-6 are also my favourite, I think RJ struck the best balance between minor POV characters and the larger ones.

I will say that GoT is just very much a different thing than WoT, about as different as two fantasy stories can be. I think GRRM is/was better at writing morally grey characters and also devious ones (i.e. Littlefinger) but to be fair I don't feel like RJ really wanted that in WoT. Anyways, I digress.

A lot of characters didn't jump out at me at the beginning, and some I've rollercoastered my feelings towards. I loathed Egwene my first time through, and have grown to love her. Rand used to be one of my favourites, and he is possibly the most well-written, but I've grown to feel when re-reading that I very much─like Nynaeve─want to box his ears and give him the rough side of my tongue.

Also, as has been said up top, RJ was truly king of foreshadowing. Even now, on my 5th or 6th re-read and I'm noticing just how early and subtly he has foreshadowed events that don't have pay-off for several books. It's truly incredible in that regard.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:01 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by connabard View Post
4-6 are also my favourite, I think RJ struck the best balance between minor POV characters and the larger ones.
Those three and New Spring are my favorites as well. I miss not having the other two prequels nearly as much as I can't help but wonder still at what RJ might have made of the ending in contrast to the admirable but disappointing job that Sanderson made of it. I've reread even my least favorite of the RJ books, CoT, many times. But I've yet to ever reopen the Sanderson books.

Quote:
I will say that GoT is just very much a different thing than WoT, about as different as two fantasy stories can be. I think GRRM is/was better at writing morally grey characters and also devious ones (i.e. Littlefinger) but to be fair I don't feel like RJ really wanted that in WoT. Anyways, I digress.
Yeah, if the OP is really looking/hoping for something more similar to aSoIaF, Malazan would have been the nearer analogue.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

Honestly, I've only read A Memory of Light once...for several reasons but most of all because it not being written by RJ.

It being the very end of a very long road for me as a reader has also made it not something that has made me want to read it again or even do full reread ever again...despite that being something I did a minimum of every year from the early 1990s until the year aMoL came out.

Very odd how that happened.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Yeah, if the OP is really looking/hoping for something more similar to aSoIaF, Malazan would have been the nearer analogue.
ugh. Hated Malazan (but that's about 50% because I happen to think that Eriksson is a pompous ass IRL, which has little to do with the actual writing, I'm aware but somehow can't disregard) but I see what you mean. Malazan has a similar sense of not knowing which characters are going to live, who are now the "good guys" and why etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Honestly, I've only read A Memory of Light once...for several reasons but most of all because it not being written by RJ.

It being the very end of a very long road for me as a reader has also made it not something that has made me want to read it again or even do full reread ever again...despite that being something I did a minimum of every year from the early 1990s until the year aMoL came out.

Very odd how that happened.
Yeah. I only read aMoL once too, it's a painful book in several ways - end of a journey for sure, and still leaving so many unanswered questions... I don't know what would have happened, how it would've been, if Jordan had written it - we'll never know. It's a good book, a great culmination to an amazing series... but it's an end to a very important chapter in my life. One that I really don't want to end, lol. Hence the coming around here all these years

Bonded to JWB

-- Winston Churchill