art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41506613

Quote:
Congress' most powerful Republican says lawmakers should examine "bump-stocks", a rapid-fire accessory used by the gunman in Sunday's Las Vegas massacre.
House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan told a radio talk show: "Clearly that's something we need to look into."
Texas Senator John Cornyn - the number two Republican in the Senate - has called for hearings into the devices.
Quote:
It appears a move to ban bump-stock devices is picking up steam in Congress. Some normally staunch gun-control opponents seem willing to consider new legislation. The NRA, which opposes just about any new regulations, has gone silent.
That's going to change soon.
The challenge for gun rights supporters is a bump-stock ban opens the door for a new debate about where to draw the line over limiting a firearm's lethality. For decades it's been at how many bullets can be fired with one trigger pull.
Bump-stocks blur that line. Can you outlaw a device that helps squeeze off rounds more quickly but not think about prohibiting quick-change magazines or limiting their sizes? Or banning pistol grips, which make firing easier?
It won't take many Republicans, with the NRA looking over their shoulder, to grind the process to a halt.
Hopefully at least Bernie won’t side with the enemy again this time, but renegade dems aside, trusting any republicans seems insane.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

So much for the Iran deal...https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...&ICID=ref_fark

What a fucking idiot.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 10-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
So much for the Iran deal...https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...&ICID=ref_fark

What a fucking idiot.
Much like with the cognitive dissonance between Trump and Tillerson on North Korea, the contrast between Trump and Mattis on Iran is very odd. Either his lieutenants are trying to publicly nudge/shame him into doing the right thing, or this is a excruciatingly clumsy version of the old good cop/bad cop routine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/03/w...eal-trump.html

Here's hoping that this is just Trump's way of trying to back Iran into a corner and agree to some last second concessions, but this sort of diplomatic brinkmanship is both embarrassing and dangerously stupid. We talk a lot (heck even Corker recently said as much) about how perhaps Mattis and Kelly are the only thing standing between us and Trump running completely amok, but if Mattis can't stop Trump from reneging on this deal then it becomes increasingly difficult to see how our Praetorian Guardsmen are having any discernible effect, and if the only reason that they are sticking around is simply because Trump knows that no one else would agree to take any of these jobs.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
One of the things Spain has been stressing is that if Catalonia becomes independent, it wouldn't be a EU member. Maybe Theresa May would be willing to start a trade community with Catalonia?
That's not necessarily automatically the case. See the seccession of Greenland and Denmark, where Greenland CHOSE to step out of the EU while Demark stayed in. Now, granted, I don't know the legal background of all of that back then, and the laws have probably changed since then but I imagine that if, say, Scotland, the Basque country or Catalonia were to become independant and would want to stay/join in the EU, they'd get a "fast track" at least, seeing as a lot of the rules and regulations that aspiring members must implement are already in place.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 10-06-2017, 05:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and they would also get to run the hurdle of "no EU vetoes their application". While Scotland could easy leap that one after May has left, it seems less certain that Catalonia could avoid a Spanish veto.
So, while technically it is not automatically a problem, in reality, unless Spain suddenly becomes reasonable and nice on this subject, it is a problem nonetheless.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
That's not necessarily automatically the case. See the seccession of Greenland and Denmark, where Greenland CHOSE to step out of the EU while Demark stayed in. Now, granted, I don't know the legal background of all of that back then, and the laws have probably changed since then but I imagine that if, say, Scotland, the Basque country or Catalonia were to become independant and would want to stay/join in the EU, they'd get a "fast track" at least, seeing as a lot of the rules and regulations that aspiring members must implement are already in place.
One option for Scotland would at least be to try to have a relationship with the EU similar to Norway or Iceland's...where they're in the free market even if they're not officially in the EU as members of the EFTA.

Scotland seems like it'd lose a ton more than it'd gain if it left the UK and EU though. When your economy relies on dwindling oil reserves, whisky and promiscuous sheep, you might want to stay with the wealthier part of your country instead of going it alone.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 10-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Ancient

Quote:
One option for Scotland would at least be to try to have a relationship with the EU similar to Norway or Iceland's...where they're in the free market even if they're not officially in the EU as members of the EFTA.

Scotland seems like it'd lose a ton more than it'd gain if it left the UK and EU though. When your economy relies on dwindling oil reserves, whisky and promiscuous sheep, you might want to stay with the wealthier part of your country instead of going it alone.
Seems like the only comparable situation that the EU has had to undergo in the past was with Greenland, due to their separation from Denmark. But Greenland’s situation was perhaps a bit more like England’s than like Scotland’s or Catalonia, as Greenland wanted out (not sure if that was a major instigator for their desire to break away from Denmark, or just ancillary). Much like Britain though, Catalonia may be screwed by Spain and the EU if they actually secede from Spain, and they already seem to be making Catalon-based banks nervous in the same way that is being seen with London-based banks post-Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...u-independence
Old 10-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

Catalonia's entire push for independence is incredibly illogical...to the point where I guarantee that its mainly being pushed/promulgated by hostile foreign elements to help weaken yet another EU/NATO country. Tis truly a mystery as to who would benefit the most from the weakening of democracies in the USA, UK, Germany, France and Spain. I can't think of a single nation-state that would want to see something like that happen.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:40 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Catalonia's entire push for independence is incredibly illogical...to the point where I guarantee that its mainly being pushed/promulgated by hostile foreign elements to help weaken yet another EU/NATO country. Tis truly a mystery as to who would benefit the most from the weakening of democracies in the USA, UK, Germany, France and Spain. I can't think of a single nation-state that would want to see something like that happen.
Wikileaks and the Russians certainly seem to be supporting and fomenting the secessionists, but they wouldn't be successful in catalyzing these sentiments without pre-existing tensions. Catalan is in many ways as distinct from Spanish as is Italian. They weren't exactly treated well by Franco, nor have they been treated well by the current govt in Madrid, nor even by the presumably mostly figurehead king of Spain. Nonetheless, Catalonia would as a whole almost certainly be better off economically by remaining in Spain (even considering that at present they are by far the most economically vibrant region within Spain - but gaining independence would open themselves to myriad new expenses even if they somehow manage to stay in the EU or ECC) than separate even if they managed to stay in the EU. Had Spain treated this referendum more similarly to how Britain did the vote concerning Scottish independence, this situation would not be becoming so dire.

Whenever Assange gets involved one should automatically become suspicious, but in this case, Madrid seems more to blame than Moscow.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Interesting, although, it might be a little McCarthy-ist. I wouldn't it put it past someone to do that sorta crap, or at least work on the existing sentiments. You see similar things in Texas & Alberta. Oil seems to be a common element, or at least the money that comes with the oil. The whole "why are we paying for your poor asses?" mentality.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is indeed quite difficult to think of such a nation-state when one takes into account that the drive towards independence from Spain dates back to (at least) the 17th century, and in a real way even before that. Off hand, the only nation that I can think of that has remained sufficiently united during all that time is Japan. But why would they be trying to disrupt Europe?
Old 10-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
It is indeed quite difficult to think of such a nation-state when one takes into account that the drive towards independence from Spain dates back to (at least) the 17th century, and in a real way even before that. Off hand, the only nation that I can think of that has remained sufficiently united during all that time is Japan. But why would they be trying to disrupt Europe?
Japan hasn't been united since the 17th century. They had at least 2 massive civil wars (though the first one was a series of civil wars).

Sengoku Jidai (1467-1603) where famous people like Nobunaga Oda, Miyamoto Musashi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu came about. The latter of whom finally brought peace to Japan for the next 2 centuries.

Then we have the Boshin War of 1868-1869, where the isolationists and supporters of the Shogunate fought against the Imperial Supporters and those willing to open their borders.

So, yeah. Even Japan has had internal conflicts since then.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
Japan hasn't been united since the 17th century. They had at least 2 massive civil wars (though the first one was a series of civil wars).

Sengoku Jidai (1467-1603) where famous people like Nobunaga Oda, Miyamoto Musashi, and Tokugawa Ieyasu came about. The latter of whom finally brought peace to Japan for the next 2 centuries.

Then we have the Boshin War of 1868-1869, where the isolationists and supporters of the Shogunate fought against the Imperial Supporters and those willing to open their borders.

So, yeah. Even Japan has had internal conflicts since then.
Japan has had periods of struggle between rival daimyo (i.e. the Sengoku Period), but even then they were still homogeneous culturally and linguistically (excepting for the Ainu on Hokkaido, but they were isolated and marginalized). So even when there was political disunity they still thought of themselves as one uniform Yamato culture. And even during periods when the emperors were little more than figureheads, they still were a continuous line going back at least 1500 years.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

That seems to leave Andorra, which, while in a better position geographically than Japan is, seems to be a bit small for such machinations.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Renewables (especially wind) and financial services are very strong there too. Arguably it might be easier for London-based financial institutions to move their headquarters to Edinburgh or Glasgow in order to stay in the EU, rather than Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Vienna, Copenhagen or Stockholm (let's face it, they're not gonna go to Dublin because of stupid history)

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 10-09-2017, 05:06 AM
Elder

Daekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond reputeDaekyras has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Scotland want to leave the UK because they want to stay in the EU.

They cant have both.

Hope you had a good time there.

He just got carried away a bit this time, probably as a result of his marriage-gonzothegreat

Son of Nazbaque, Lord of Fire
Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekyras View Post
Scotland want to leave the UK because they want to stay in the EU.

They cant have both.

Hope you had a good time there.
Oh, I did. The scenery was spectacular. To be fair, I did like Ireland's culture, food and music scene far more when we're comparing Gaelic countries but both Scotland and Ireland are great places to visit in general. We also spent a good bit of time in London & Surrey and that was enjoyable too.

I said "leave the EU" too because they've already said that Scotland wouldn't be automatically admitted to the EU if they seceded from the UK so it seems that any independence push at this point would just exacerbate the situation they are already dealing with under Brexit.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

Maybe Scotland could kick England out of the UK and then stay in the EU. That'd solve all their problems, wouldn't it? Well, apart from the fact that then they would be stuck with getting king Charles, of course.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Maybe Scotland could kick England out of the UK and then stay in the EU. That'd solve all their problems, wouldn't it? Well, apart from the fact that then they would be stuck with getting king Charles, of course.
3rd times a charm, right?

Old 10-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Youngling

Southpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the roughSouthpaw2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
bitter, disgusted and sad.

That being said, America: get your shit together and stop hogging "horrible news" headlines.

We've got the Catalan vote to process, the Brexit to manage, the next goddamn real estate bubble to avoid, convince people to go at least flexitarian (did you see that recalculation of the cattle-related methane gas effects on Global Warming? *shudder*), get Brazilians to understand that killing tribes in the Amazon is a Bad Thing,figure out how come North Korea is such good friends with Egypt, and figure out why is Putin so quiet about all of the above, what is he up to...
It's really not that bad here. If the mainstream media focused as much on the good as it does the bad, the world might be a better place. Instead of scrutinizing every little aspect of the shooter's life, let the authorities handle that and focus on the victims. Instead of bashing gun enthusiasts, discuss reasonable measures that would actually work. FOr instance, actually enforce the current laws and keep guns out of the hands of bad people. If gun control worked, cities like Chicago would be safer. The media likes to ignore the gun control laws of Chicago and all the violence that rages there on a daily basis. Enforce the damn laws.