art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7652

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, that'd be a strict constructionalist interpretation...but a modern judge go easily go "this is what well regulated means to us" and it'd be "constitutional" as long as SCOTUS upheld the ruling. Of course, the current Court would never do so.

In other fun news, Carter Page's Congressional testimony was released and wow...is that guy stupid. Mind you, this was in front of a friendly GOP led committee. Also recall that this idiot spoke to Mueller & Co for an entire day without a lawyer present on top of this testimony.

Quote:
Lawmakers have described his testimony as meandering, at times confusing and contradictory

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

This would seem to illustrate the philosophical divide quite well. We on the left look at what happened and think, how did this guy pass a background check? Why is it logical for such weapons to be legal? Trump (and many republicans) instead...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41895042
Old 11-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

The only way to be safe is to be constantly armed and vigilant no matter the situation.

Because that's a sane world viewpoint apparently.

The best part is that Trump is completely wrong...the guy only left the church because he had emptied all his rifle magazines (15 magazines with 30 rounds a piece). He'd already shot them all and was all out of rifle rounds. So he wasn't "neutralized by a good guy with a gun". Sure he was shot after he walked out but he had already done what he had come to do. Sorry but "neutralizing" someone after they've already racked up a casualty count of 50+ (dead and wounded total) isn't a success story to me.

Also, Trump is a jackass.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Last edited by Davian93; 11-07-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
In other fun news, Carter Page's Congressional testimony was released and wow...is that guy stupid. Mind you, this was in front of a friendly GOP led committee. Also recall that this idiot spoke to Mueller & Co for an entire day without a lawyer present on top of this testimony.
It was always clear that Page was either lying in his interviewers with the press, or just being very misleading. Maybe we should just go with lying and incredibly stupid.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41836983

Quote:
Since Mr Trump's election, Page has made several contentious appearances on US cable television, where he's frustrated interviewers with his free-form, seemingly contradictory, sometimes confusing answers to their questions.
Last week, the House Intelligence Committee had its turn to talk to Page. Under-oath Page, it turns out, is a lot like cable-TV Page.
In a transcript that stretches over 243 pages, Page - without aide of a lawyer or any other advisers - engaged in verbal pirouettes as he was questioned by Republican Trey Goudy of South Carolina, Democrat Adam Schiff of California and others.
The congressmen focused, in particular, on a May 2016 trip Page took to Moscow, as well as his interactions with senior Trump campaign staff.
Here are some of his most notable revelations - and the problems they create.
Yeah, not having a lawyer there seems like a bad idea.

In other news, in this mostly overlooked off-year election, the dems regained the governorship of New Jersey (not a surprise, since any republican that had to follow Christie in a blue state was likely facing an impossible task), and it certainly sounds like they're not just going to hold Virginia (albeit with Northam replacing McAuliffe, and beating a pretty big name republican, Ed Gillespie), but the republicans sound nervous about the dems maybe coming close to taking the Virginia House.

CNN just called Virginia for the dems. How weird is it that Virginia is starting to become more reliably blue than not just renegade Union states like Ohio, but also to an extent even more loyal than true Union states like Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania.

Last edited by Kimon; 11-07-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
CNN just called Virginia for the dems.
For Trump...

Old 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Ancient

The only thing about this that surprises me is that the allegation involves underage girls rather than boys...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41932166
Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
The only thing about this that surprises me is that the allegation involves underage girls rather than boys...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41932166
That'll come later...once the tidal wave on this one breaks.

Honestly, I doubt this hurts him at all in Alabama.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

For example, here's Alabama State Auditor Jim Ziegler commenting on it: "Take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus. There's nothing immoral or illegal here, maybe just a little bit unusual".

So...in Alabama, they think a 30 something year old guy molesting a 14 year old is just "unusual" and "what Jesus would do".

Old 11-09-2017, 04:31 PM
Ancient

Quote:
That'll come later...once the tidal wave on this one breaks.

Honestly, I doubt this hurts him at all in Alabama.
Hell, if as many republicans assumed that he was in the closet prior to this allegation, it probably will help him.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Hell, if as many republicans assumed that he was in the closet prior to this allegation, it probably will help him.
Probably gains 5 points minimum.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:15 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For example, here's Alabama State Auditor Jim Ziegler commenting on it: "Take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became parents of Jesus. There's nothing immoral or illegal here, maybe just a little bit unusual".

So...in Alabama, they think a 30 something year old guy molesting a 14 year old is just "unusual" and "what Jesus would do".
Not Jesus, but the father of Jesus. The role model of Jesus.
And, to defend Ziegler: he was right about what he said, apart from ignoring the bit about Moore being a DA at the time.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Ancient

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41945199

Quote:
Mr Moore, a populist former chief justice in Alabama, has been widely expected to defeat a Democratic rival, Doug Jones, in next month's election.
The chairman of the Bibb County Republican Party, Jerry Pow, told the Toronto Star: "I would vote for Judge Moore because I wouldn't want to vote for Doug.
"I'm not saying I support what he did."
So, apparently a prosecutor (as long as he’s a republican) sexually assaulting a minor, no big deal (especially if the minor was at least a girl), but being a dem? That one is an unforgivable sin.

And as for the Washington Post...

Quote:
Paul Reynolds, a Republican National Committee member for Alabama, told the Hill, a US political publication, he trusts Russian President Vladimir Putin more than the newspaper that published the claims.
"My gosh, it's The Washington Post," he said. "If I've got a choice of putting my welfare into the hands of Putin or the Washington Post, Putin wins every time."
And as for those “Rinos” John McCain and Mitch McConnell...

Quote:
Jonathan P Gray, a Republican consultant, told the Washington Post: "I think it was already perfectly well stated that no one in Alabama gives a s*** what Mitch McConnell or John McCain thinks we should do."
Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Classic:

Trump White House: "Trump and Duterte discussed human rights"

Duterte's people: "Um...no they didn't".

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet that Filipino version of their conversation is more accurate and that Trump didn't even mention any of Duterte's human rights violations other than to probably praise his "anti-drug efforts".

In other news, Moore is now neck and neck with his democratic challenger and something like 37% of Alabama self-proclaimed "evangelical" voters are now MORE LIKELY to support him since he's a pedophile than they were before.

Um...this is why I hate the religious right. They're all freaking disgusting hypocrites and its all about their own personal power, not the word of God. And it never has been. Disgusting perverted pigs, all of them.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Can you find anything in the Bible which explicitly condemns paedophilia?
If not, then the charge of hypocrisy isn't justified, and you should then apologize for that.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:07 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Can you find anything in the Bible which explicitly condemns paedophilia?
If not, then the charge of hypocrisy isn't justified, and you should then apologize for that.
Yeah, the Bible doesn’t care much about pedophilia. But for a party that pretends to care about morality, it is hypocritical that whenever these things happen, republicans quite clearly show that they don’t really care. A dem would already be gone. All dems turned on Anthony Weiner. Any republican who doesn’t turn on Moore is admitting that they don’t think having sex with a 14 year old is a big deal (or at least trying to - she claimed he molested her, and then she begged him to stop), that they don’t think that premarital sex is a big deal, and that they don’t think that an adult using their position to prey sexually upon vulnerable children is a big deal.

And all so that they can avoid voting for a dem. Just force Moore out, and coalesce around a write-in candidate republican.

I will be very suprised if Moore does not win this election. But then I obviously have a very very low opinion of Alabama. Senate republicans however are going to have a difficult choice once that happens. They are either going to have to vote to expel him, or admit that they too have no ethics.

Last edited by Kimon; 11-13-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

An additional rape victim has come forward...who was 16 at the time.

So...good work Alabama.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Ancient

Quote:
An additional rape victim has come forward...who was 16 at the time.

So...good work Alabama.
Mitch McConnell is now openly demanding that he withdraw, and Roy Moore’s response...

https://mobile.twitter.com/MooreSena...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Old 11-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mitch McConnell is now openly demanding that he withdraw, and Roy Moore’s response...

https://mobile.twitter.com/MooreSena...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Drain the swamp and replace it with pedophiles? That'll go swimmingly.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 PM
Ancient

Trump Jr may face indictment even before Flynn...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ileaks/545738/
Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Trump Jr may face indictment even before Flynn...

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ileaks/545738/
Its actually kind of amazing just how stupid these people are. I mean, at least Nixon was a good criminal and knew what he was doing.

This is like Conspiracy for Dummies at best.