art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Other historians will of course disagree and point to the appoint of GWB by SCOTUS as the defining turn.
That was definitely the first major warning peel from the bells...and its probably more accurate as a transition point. Or rather, our idiotic reaction to 9/11 is the real turning point as had we had an adult president there, we likely could have avoided the 16+ years of continual war we've been in since then.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
That was definitely the first major warning peel from the bells...and its probably more accurate as a transition point. Or rather, our idiotic reaction to 9/11 is the real turning point as had we had an adult president there, we likely could have avoided the 16+ years of continual war we've been in since then.
Ken Starr and the Clinton Impeachment. There were other warning signs of decline before that - the Civil Rights Movement backlash, Vietnam, Watergate, Roe v Wade - but when an impeachment process becomes entirely about politics rather than about wrongdoing. Can republicans really believe they had just grounds for wanting to remove Clinton back in the '90s? For being evasive (they couldn't even prove that he had actually lied, just that he was bending semantics) of his secretary blowing him in the Oval Office? Could they really think that what Hillary did with her email was even in the same ballpark as Trump's track record of fraud, money laundering, and collusion with the Russians (let alone adding a provision at the last second into the recent tax cut focused on real estate ventures to personally benefit himself and his family)? We have fallen so far that many republicans seem to view Putin as more trustworthy than the Washington Post and the new York Times.

Problems existed prior to its rise, but Murdoch saw the opportunity to make a lot of money by further poisoning the well, something which he did to great acumen, and to great financial gain. More than anything else I'd point to the Fox News Channel (and the internet) - launched October 7, 1996. This was the assassin that slew the empire.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my prediction of 191-2 was a bit off, but...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42446027

Quote:
The UN General Assembly has decisively backed a resolution effectively calling on the US to withdraw its recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

The text says that any decisions regarding the status of the city are "null and void" and must be cancelled.

The non-binding resolution was approved by 128 states, with 35 abstaining and nine others voting against.
Curious to know who the other 7 no votes (besides us and Israel) were, not to mention the 35 who abstained. Those receiving significant foreign aid, or American allies, like Britain? The BBC article unfortunately doesn't indicate how Britain voted, which is a bit odd. Figured that they would have at least made a point of drawing attention to the other 7 stooges who voted in favor of the Apartheid state.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rusalem-israel

Canada and Mexico both abstained...

Last edited by Kimon; 12-21-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Practical, but cowardly.

“I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you.” ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 12-21-2017, 02:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Well, my prediction of 191-2 was a bit off, but...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42446027

Curious to know who the other 7 no votes (besides us and Israel) were, not to mention the 35 who abstained. Those receiving significant foreign aid, or American allies, like Britain? The BBC article unfortunately doesn't indicate how Britain voted, which is a bit odd. Figured that they would have at least made a point of drawing attention to the other 7 stooges who voted in favor of the Apartheid state.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rusalem-israel

Screw the UN, we still have our coalition of the willing with great nation-states like Guatemala, Honduras, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau and Togo on our side.

Onward and upward!!!

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 12-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Just for Kimon...above is the vote breakdown

Old 12-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Screw the UN, we still have our coalition of the willing with great nation-states like Guatemala, Honduras, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Palau and Togo on our side.

Onward and upward!!!
Britain voted against us. Britain.

Meanwhile, back at home, the president's henchmen are prepping to declare Mueller, the FBI, and Obama all enemy combatants...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ra...rticle/2644139

Quote:
Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., argued Thursday that senior Obama administration officials might be guilty of trying to keep President Trump from getting elected last November.

"Time to investigate high ranking Obama government officials who might have colluded to prevent the election of @realDonaldTrump! This could be WORSE than Watergate!" Paul tweeted Thursday morning.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

The slow motion toppling of our Republic has been fairly depressing to watch...even though it was something I predicted about 2 months after 9/11 seeing how we had reacted. So...as a 20 year old, I was more situationally aware of our geopolitical situation than the entire GOP apparently.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Britain voted against us. Britain.
When is the last time the UK didn't support us? We have had one of the closest alliances in history with them since 1941 and now it looks to be in shambles. The Special Relationship isn't just rhetoric, its been the backbone of our foreign policy thinking for 75 years.

Among the NATO allies in general, all of the major powers condemned us with only tertiary members like Hungary, Croatia, Poland and Romania at least abstaining (I'm not counting Canada in this group because the only reason they're probably not condemning us is the ongoing renegotiation of NAFTA and our alliance with Canada is a bit different than just the pure NATO relationship with those other countries.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
When is the last time the UK didn't support us? We have had one of the closest alliances in history with them since 1941 and now it looks to be in shambles. The Special Relationship isn't just rhetoric, its been the backbone of our foreign policy thinking for 75 years.

Among the NATO allies in general, all of the major powers condemned us with only tertiary members like Hungary, Croatia, Poland and Romania at least abstaining (I'm not counting Canada in this group because the only reason they're probably not condemning us is the ongoing renegotiation of NAFTA and our alliance with Canada is a bit different than just the pure NATO relationship with those other countries.
Long time allies are shaking their heads in disgust at the drastic shift we went through from Obama to Trump.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Ancient

Quote:
When is the last time the UK didn't support us?
1812?

Quote:
BBC finally has the full list up.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-42450062

Australia abstained too, but yeah, basically every country of significance, except Australia and Canada, condemned the change.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita View Post
Practical, but cowardly.
Not entirely sure I'd go so far as cowardly, but I can understand the sentiment. If Trump wasn't Trump, well, we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with, but that abstain is essentially "we'd vote yes, but we have to live with these guys and it's just not worth the headache."
Old 12-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Ancient

Oatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really nice

Quote:
Australia abstained too
I keep being given fresh reason to be embarrassed by my country.

The only possible reason I can think of is fear of Chinese invasion and relying on the US being a deterrent to this occurring.

"From the Oatman Prophecies."

Writer of the Breakfast Prophecies for the Lord of the Morning

RS is an idiot.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:18 PM
Elder

Rand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of lightRand al'Fain is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatman View Post
I keep being given fresh reason to be embarrassed by my country.

The only possible reason I can think of is fear of Chinese invasion and relying on the US being a deterrent to this occurring.
You're leader didn't tweet this out.

And let's not forget him haranguing Obama for playing golf once in a blue moon, and then proceeded to go EVERY WEEKEND to his resort in Florida to play golf.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Ancient

Oatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really niceOatman is just really nice

Oh, I concede that US citizens have more reason to feel embarrassed by the decisions of their elected officials than Australian citizens do at the moment, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be embarrassed by the decisions being made by the twats in charge.

"From the Oatman Prophecies."

Writer of the Breakfast Prophecies for the Lord of the Morning

RS is an idiot.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:48 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand al'Fain View Post
And let's not forget him haranguing Obama for playing golf once in a blue moon, and then proceeded to go EVERY WEEKEND to his resort in Florida to play golf.
...or that Obama was mostly golfing on federal land.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/preside...-as-president/

Quote:
By my count, this is Mr. Obama's 38th time playing golf on Martha's Vineyard during his seven visits split between three courses: Farm Neck in Oak Bluffs, Vineyard in Edgartown and Mink Meadows in Vineyard Haven.

But his most frequent venues for golf are the courses at Joint Base Andrews just outside D.C. He has played there 107 times. He has also played 54 times at Fort Belvoir in Virginia and 27 times at Marine Corps Base Hawaii. He has played only once on foreign soil: a round on April 23 this year with British Prime Minister David Cameron at The Grove Golf Club in Hertfordshire, U.K., north of London.
Contrast that with Trump, who not only has played golf far more frequently, but has done so at his own courses, thus having the Secret Service (and everyone else who travels with him) defraud American taxpayers by constantly making the govt pay money directly into Trump's own pocket. It's not just Trump's treasonous actions that are so brazen, so to is the more run-of-the-mill fraudulent activities. Who could have possibly guessed that a money laundering con man would so thoroughly defraud, betray, and embarrass the country?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:29 AM
Hero of the Horn

Grifter gonna grift.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Ancient

Looks like a schism is occurring within the American Nazi Party...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ng-white-house

Quote:
Earlier on Wednesday, New York Magazine published excerpts of a forthcoming book by author Michael Wolff in which Bannon criticizes Trump’s campaign as well as the president and his family. The Guardian published excerpts of the book in which Bannon predicts that Special Counsel Robert Mueller will “crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV” over the president’s son’s meeting with a Russian lawyer at Trump Tower in June 2016.

Bannon also called Donald Trump Jr.’s meeting with the lawyer, in which he expected to receive damaging information on Trump’s election opponent Hillary Clinton, “treasonous” and “unpatriotic,” according to the Guardian.
Quote:
President Donald Trump denounced his former top strategist, Steve Bannon, on Wednesday, saying that he ‘lost his mind’ after leaving the White House last summer.

“When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind,” Trump said of Bannon in a statement the White House issued. “Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn’t as easy as I make it look.”
Old 01-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

I wonder what his insane tweet storm yesterday was covering up...clearly it was meant to distract from something. Are more Mueller indictments in the offing? Maybe Kushner & Ivanka this time around?

Old 01-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Hero of the Horn

Bannon apparently destroys Trump and his family members in an upcoming book. And Trump flipped out completely today when the excerpts were published since they're a bit less than flattering to say the least.

Words like "treasonous" and "idiot" were in the quotes from Bannon.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...on?CMP=soc_568