art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Non WoT Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
The POS was denied a clearance and they were told why back in November. The only reason they're even doing anything now (3 full months later) is that the press found out and broke the story.

Truly, the "best" people.
As incompetent as he and his staff has been, as treasonous, as racist, as misogynistic, this is still America. This still may be the far more potentially dangerous omen for both Trump and for congressional republicans...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42991310

Quote:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by more than 1,000 points for the second time this week, plunging 4.15% to 23,860.

The S&P 500 dropped 100.6 points or 3.75% to 2,581, while the Nasdaq slid 274.8 points or 3.9% to 6,777.1.
If this is just a temporary blip, and if the markets recover, and the economy continues to do well, republicans almost certainly retain control of Congress in the '18 elections, and Trump likely gets re-elected. No amount of evidence Mueller can amass likely can harm Trump as much as the market and the economy would.

Meanwhile, Rand Paul (and likewise all the Confederacy-Anarchist wing - i.e. the Freedom Caucus - of the republicans in the House) is again threatening to shut down the govt unless we refuse to pay our bills. But hey, he did vote for that massive tax cut...
Old 02-09-2018, 09:34 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you overestimate their chances in November. All of the side elections since then have been shockingly bad for the GOP...30+ point swings on seats in deep red areas. And its almost a guarantee that the economy is due for a serious correction given how long the recovery has gone on for now. Add in constant stupidity on his part, and it'll keep the Left pissed off enough to show up in huge numbers.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

And they can start to hammer the GOP on things like this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/comp...f-tax-law.html

"While Corporations have handed out $2.5 Billion in bonuses due to the tax cut, they've spent 39 times that ($97 Billion) buying back stock to line their own pockets"

The campaign add writes itself...corrupt fat cat businessmen buying off Congress and lining their own pockets while the poor get a pittance in return. Think Scrooge esque, dark smoke filled rooms, grainy images, creepy/eery music and a scary voiceover. "Granny couldn't afford her insulin and is eating cat food because of greedy CEOs"

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 02-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Ancient

Kimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond reputeKimon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think you overestimate their chances in November. All of the side elections since then have been shockingly bad for the GOP...30+ point swings on seats in deep red areas. And its almost a guarantee that the economy is due for a serious correction given how long the recovery has gone on for now. Add in constant stupidity on his part, and it'll keep the Left pissed off enough to show up in huge numbers.
I think it hinges on how the economy is doing. If the seats in the House weren't so gerrymandered, enough of a shift could occur without a second major catalyst (the first being Trump). And the House may still be easier to turn than the Senate. The dems have a legitimate chance at taking Nevada and Arizona. But they have 4 very vulnerable seats in '18 - Ohio (Brown), Indiana (Donnelly), Missouri (McCaskill), and Montana (Tester). Maybe they hold all those seats, but those are red states, and with the exception of Ohio, very red. I would have assumed that all but Brown lose, but McCaskill seems to have run once again into luck, as her opponent (Josh Hawley) is transparently evil even by republican standards. So maybe she'll survive too.

But dems will need to hold all of those seats and win both of Arizona and Nevada (and Nevada has a decent incumbent republican in Heller). Just getting to 50 isn't enough, unless they plan on completely relying on Susan Collins to consistently do the right thing. They need to get to 51, or they'll just be watching Pence take a bunch of votes.

On the other hand, at least the govt only shut down for a few meaningless hours last night. So that was one repetition of potential stupidity that was averted.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Ancient

Quote:
And they can start to hammer the GOP on things like this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/comp...f-tax-law.html

"While Corporations have handed out $2.5 Billion in bonuses due to the tax cut, they've spent 39 times that ($97 Billion) buying back stock to line their own pockets"

The campaign add writes itself...corrupt fat cat businessmen buying off Congress and lining their own pockets while the poor get a pittance in return. Think Scrooge esque, dark smoke filled rooms, grainy images, creepy/eery music and a scary voiceover. "Granny couldn't afford her insulin and is eating cat food because of greedy CEOs"
The dems also need to be making more noise over how many WH staffers may have failed their security clearances.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.942f45976821

Quote:
Dozens of White House employees are awaiting permanent security clearances and have been working for months with temporary approvals to handle sensitive information while the FBI continues to probe their backgrounds, according to U.S. officials.

People familiar with the security-clearance process said one of those White House officials with an interim approval is Jared Kushner — the president’s son-in-law and one of his most influential advisers.
Kushner we knew about. Likewise Flynn. And Flynn's son. How many others are/were there? This is an administration led by a man who clearly could not pass one himself, and who has employed people like Hicks, Omarosa, Flynn, Scaramucci, Bannon. When your entire staff is composed of really sketchy individuals...
Old 02-09-2018, 11:21 AM
Hero of the Horn

The best people.

As a security professional, that sort of thing makes me see red.

Literally every single one fired due to misconduct and/or is also a disgrace and pending criminal charges. And this is just one photo of his "best people".

Last edited by Davian93; 02-09-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you consider the constraint he was working under ... they may very well be the best available Republicans nowadays, you know.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
Well, if you consider the constraint he was working under ... they may very well be the best available Republicans nowadays, you know.
There is increasing chatter of Trump turning on both Kelly and Hicks. Considering how often he feels the need to offer up a sacrificial lamb, one does have to wonder, if he did get rid of one or both of them, just who could he get at this point to replace them, considering how brief and career ending such a role seems inevitably to be. Stephen Miller? That would be interesting...
Old 02-09-2018, 01:00 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mick Mulvaney's name has been thrown around for Chief of Staff.

For Hicks position, its not like she's actually qualified anyway so replacing her would be a moot point. What does she actually do there anyway? I'm sure they can find another 29 year old piece of eye candy to prance about the West Wing and date spousal abusers.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Hero of the Horn

Pure gold.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Hero of the Horn

So one of Trump's top aide gets accused of beating the shit out of not one but 2 different wives with photographic evidence of the abuse and his reaction is to...

~wait for it~

Come out in defense of him and call him a great guy today among the myriad of other compliments he slung about.

At least Trump knows his base I guess.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Ancient

Quote:
So one of Trump's top aide gets accused of beating the shit out of not one but 2 different wives with photographic evidence of the abuse and his reaction is to...

~wait for it~

Come out in defense of him and call him a great guy today among the myriad of other compliments he slung about.

At least Trump knows his base I guess.
Almost makes you wonder why the stock market might be cratering again today...

At least I haven't heard any republicans trying to claim (yet) that the blizzard devouring Chicago today is proof that global warming is a lie, or of Jesus being pissed at us over something.

Addendum: Apparently the stock market has just decided to roller coaster today - from down over 300 a half hour ago, to now up.

Last edited by Kimon; 02-09-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimon View Post
Almost makes you wonder why the stock market might be cratering again today...

At least I haven't heard any republicans trying to claim (yet) that the blizzard devouring Chicago today is proof that global warming is a lie, or of Jesus being pissed at us over something.

Addendum: Apparently the stock market has just decided to roller coaster today - from down over 300 a half hour ago, to now up.
Well, it was ridiculously overvalued and this is just the market normalizing most likely.

Granted, the lack of competent governing on things like the deficit and even basic funding isn't helping. Markets hate instability.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:01 PM
Ancient

Trump won't release the dem rebuttal to the "memo".

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/polit...ify/index.html

Quote:
In a letter to the committee, White House counsel Donald McGahn said, "although the President is inclined to declassify the February 5th Memorandum, because the Memorandum contains numerous properly classified and especially sensitive passages, he is unable to do so at this time."
Those concerns are why redactions exist.

Oh, and coincidentally, Walmart just hired away the #3 at Justice, Rachel Brand - i.e. the one who would replace Rosenstein, if (when?) Rosenstein is fired.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/polit...gns/index.html

Oh, and about all those WH staffers that couldn't pass their security checks...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43012426

Quote:
A speechwriter has become the second White House aide this week to resign amid allegations of domestic abuse.

David Sorensen denies his former wife's allegations he was violent and emotionally abusive.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gee, I wonder if someone called in a favor with one of the Waltons to get Brand out of the way. The new #3 is Noel Francisco (the current Soliciter General) who is very conservative but supposedly has a pretty honest reputation so he might not be willing to play the role of Robert Bork. Though, Trump will be able to nominate pretty much anyone to Brand's position now and that nominee would be able to fire Mueller the moment he/she is confirmed by the Senate (which will confirm whoever he wants on a party line vote 50-49 (assuming McCain is too sick to travel/vote).

I wonder if Trump will praise Sorsensen too? I mean, he had nothing but great things to say about his boy Porter after all.

The memo thing doesn't surprise me at all...we all knew it was going to happen.

The funny thing will be when it is almost certainly leaked to the Post or NY Times by the end of the weekend now.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:37 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Trump won't release the dem rebuttal to the "memo".

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/polit...ify/index.html
It seems as if those horrible Dems once again produced something based on actual, you know, facts. Instead of the trivia and innuendo that was all that was in the Republican version. Convenient, isn't it?
Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Ancient

Quote:
It seems as if those horrible Dems once again produced something based on actual, you know, facts. Instead of the trivia and innuendo that was all that was in the Republican version. Convenient, isn't it?
It is only unsurprising in the same sense that both it, and Nunes' memo, never should have happened. But once the republicans on the committee voted unanimously to release the dem version as well, there seemed no cover left for Trump for shenanigans. But then Trump has even less shame than Nunes. I figured he would just release it, but so heavily redacted, perhaps whole paragraphs, so as to ensure that wherever it contradicted Nunes' fabrications, there conveniently would be a lengthy redacted gap. Nevermind the fact that the Nunes memo hadn't seemingly been redacted at all. That would have been brazen.

But this is Trump. He opted instead for shameless. So far he has been consistently rewarded for that shamelessness throughout his entire life. Unfortunately this will likely be no different. He is now simply goading the dems to leak it. At which point he likely will accuse them all of treason and espionage, and will order the Justice Dept to open an investigation of them, and the Ethics Committee in the House to open an ethics inquiry into all the dem committee members and their staffers. And again, all his Vichy collaborators will comply. Shamelessness rewarded again.

Last edited by Kimon; 02-10-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is only unsurprising in the same sense that both it, and Nunes' memo, never should have happened. But once the republicans on the committee voted unanimously to release the dem version as well, there seemed no cover left for Trump for shenanigans. But then Trump has even less shame than Nunes. I figured he would just release it, but so heavily redacted, perhaps whole paragraphs, so as to ensure that wherever it contradicted Nunes' fabrications, there conveniently would be a lengthy redacted gap. Nevermind the fact that the Nunes memo hadn't seemingly been redacted at all. That would have been brazen.

But this is Trump. He opted instead for shameless. So far he has been consistently rewarded for that shamelessness throughout his entire life. Unfortunately this will likely be no different. He is now simply goading the dems to leak it. At which point he likely will accuse them all of treason and espionage, and will order the Justice Dept to open an investigation of them, and the Ethics Committee in the House to open an ethics inquiry into all the dem committee members and their staffers. And again, all his Vichy collaborators will comply. Shamelessness rewarded again.
They can read the memo into meeting minutes which aren't classified. It has been done before and has been defended by the Justice Department if not the Supreme Court. If they do it they'll be protected.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowbaneX View Post
They can read the memo into meeting minutes which aren't classified. It has been done before and has been defended by the Justice Department if not the Supreme Court. If they do it they'll be protected.
All the Republicans have to do to prevent that is simply not ever have any meetings again. After all, they control Congress.
Alternatively, they can classify those minutes themselves. I doubt there's any law explicitly prohibiting that.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

ShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond reputeShadowbaneX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All the Republicans have to do to prevent that is simply not ever have any meetings again. After all, they control Congress.
Alternatively, they can classify those minutes themselves. I doubt there's any law explicitly prohibiting that.
I wish I had something a bit less wordy, but actually, no, they can't.