art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 02-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently working on Crazy '08 about the 1908 baseball season. I'm enjoying it so far. And last night I started on Volume 2 of The Baroque Cycle, The Confusion.

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum

I'm in the first 100 pages of the Bone Hunters with the rest of the Malazan series queued up. I'm going to try to read Flag in Exhile by David Weber somewhere in there too.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahLliA
reading Return of the Crimson Guard. one of the non-main story Malazan books. so far I love it. seems like Esslemont is a bit more fond of actually explaining stuff to me
For the record, I thought Night of Knives was lackluster, but I forgave it as a first effort and as a novella.

Crimson Guard, however, was as long as any of Erikson's "core series" books and I was pretty much bored throughout. In fact, I'm not convinced I'm even going to pick up any more of Esslemont's contributions. That's pretty sad, with how much I love the Malazan world and characters.

Dunno what it was exactly. Definitely writing style, but there was something else I just couldn't put my finger on.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon
For the record, I thought Night of Knives was lackluster, but I forgave it as a first effort and as a novella.

Crimson Guard, however, was as long as any of Erikson's "core series" books and I was pretty much bored throughout. In fact, I'm not convinced I'm even going to pick up any more of Esslemont's contributions. That's pretty sad, with how much I love the Malazan world and characters.

Dunno what it was exactly. Definitely writing style, but there was something else I just couldn't put my finger on.
I'm a third into it now(going slow) and I kinda like it. not as good as SE of course. but still a good book.

one thing that surprised me though is that it's around a 100 years since kellanved started the empire. I always thought it was 20 years or so...

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 02-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:

I have heard the same thing about RotCG from many people. If I hadn't already read NoK, I might buy it anyway because I don't trust other people's opinions usually, but it's all too believable. I imagine I'll give it a go one day, but I'm just not inspired to order it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bela
What seemed to be missing most to me was the passion for writing, rather than just the style. SE likes to mold and shape his words, his characters, and his story for effect - ICE comes across as just wanting to tell the story without all that commitment to the story-telling process.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Dark is the Moon - third book in the Mirror tetralogy by Ian Irvine. Rather interesting darwinistic survival of the fittest book where the ones struggling for survival are different human species. The writing itself... a bit indifferent, I guess. It's the first tetralogy of three (so far) set in that world and I just happened to read the second one first - and I liked the second one much more. It was darker, more brutal and much more original. In this tetralogy you have the usual "protagonist from a small sleepy (and poor) and impossibly pretty village goes out into the big world" theme, it even has a "mysterious old protector guy" character.

Am also in the middle of The Whisperers by Orlando Figes even though I haven't touched it in a long while and now it's packed into a box as we're in the middle of moving. VERY, very good book, but big so doesn't fit in my bag for "on the way to work" reading.

and am very much looking forward to the next installment of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
and am very much looking forward to the next installment of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.
When is that one coming out? I re-read all of the Lord John mysteries at the beginning of the year, but that was over quickly.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 02-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sei'taer
I am currently working on Crazy '08 about the 1908 baseball season. I'm enjoying it so far. And last night I started on Volume 2 of The Baroque Cycle, The Confusion.
I just finished Cryptonomicon, and it was good enough that I bought Quicksilver, but haven't started yet.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
I just finished Cryptonomicon, and it was good enough that I bought Quicksilver, but haven't started yet.
Cryptonomicon was alright, but I really loved the Baroque Cycle.

I've heard a lot of people say the reverse, though - possibly my opinion is colored by the fact that I read Cryptonomicon second.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 02-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Inbred, Ugly, and Drunk on Corn Liquor

Sei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond reputeSei'taer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Cryptonomicon was alright, but I really loved the Baroque Cycle.

I've heard a lot of people say the reverse, though - possibly my opinion is colored by the fact that I read Cryptonomicon second.
I really enjoyed Cryptonomicon and I have enjoyed The Baroque Cycle too. I told SDog to try Cryptonomicon and he said he liked it too...dunno if he has tried the other yet.

Earl of Penistone was my favorite line...

www.buckeyestation.com look at it, love it, share it with your friends!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

September 22nd

http://voyagesoftheartemis.blogspot.com/

I'm GUESSING this year, but can't be sure as she's not done writing yet.

as a side-note, I especially enjoyed the post about butt-cooties - posted somewhere in 2008...

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 02-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

LOL. I <3 you!

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold

i just started mario puzo's "the godfather".

i know, not SciFi/Fantasy...but pretty cool so far.

the descriptions of just how big sonny corleone's cock is, and the vivid detail w/ which the author talks about how the that immense member leaves things really wet and sticky between this one chick's legs and thighs...puzo was definitely a dirty minded man!!

Tags
books