art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 03-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default After a Series of Near Misses, Darwin Strikes!

In some ways, we will always be fighting this war...

Link

Quote:
Three men die trying to saw through war-era bomb

THREE Vietnamese men were killed while trying to saw through a war-era shell to salvage metal and explosives, police said.

The men, between 19 and 44 years old, were trying to break open a 105mm shell when the blast happened in southern Tay Ninh province on Friday, local policeman Nguyen Minh Kha said.

"The poor men wanted to sell the metal for money. They could not escape the sudden blast,'' he said.

According to earlier figures from the Public Security Ministry, more than 38,000 Vietnamese nationals have been killed and 100,000 injured by explosives left over from the Vietnam War, which ended in 1975.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this is a valid Darwin Award. I can't prove it, but it seems likely that they more or less knew what they were doing, but decided to take the risk anyway. So it was not stupidity, but desperation, which motivated them.

Of course, there are people who interpret "survival of the fittest" as "the poor deserve to die". Using that interpretation, this is indeed a case of evolution in action.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
I don't think this is a valid Darwin Award. I can't prove it, but it seems likely that they more or less knew what they were doing, but decided to take the risk anyway. So it was not stupidity, but desperation, which motivated them.

Of course, there are people who interpret "survival of the fittest" as "the poor deserve to die". Using that interpretation, this is indeed a case of evolution in action.
Knowingly attempting to salvage explosives and metal from an artillery shell is the definition of darwinism...when an idiot thinks a bad idea is a brilliant one, we get results like this...

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Hero of the Horn

Hopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant future

I have to agree with Gonzo on this one. A lot of these people are doing everything they can just to survive. If you have a choice between watching your family starve or trying to salvage the explosive, you take the calculated risk.

Without more information, I can't agree with a Darwin on this one.

Dapple's Alpha
Guardian Wolf to Zaela Sedai and Packmate to the 'taer clan.
Greeter Emeritus

Training younglings to Howl since 1998

Jordan: I have always thought that the small whimper of a theory as it dies is a beautiful sound.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

A woman near here ate fish, choked on a bone and died. lol, noob!!!!! DARWIN FTW!

....no, not really.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Okay if you don't buy that one as Darwin, then this definitely fits the requirements:

Linkhttp://www.clickorlando.com/news/18987557/detail.html
Quote:

Better View Of Sunrise

16-Year-Old Was Visiting Area With Family

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Police said a 16-year-old who plunged 24 floors to his death from a Daytona Beach hotel balcony was likely trying to get a better view of the sunrise when he accidentally fell.

Barret Forst Ugland, 16, of Minnesota fell early Sunday from the 24th floor of the Ocean Walk Resort.

Ugland, who was visiting Central Florida with his family, woke up early Sunday and stacked some chairs on the balcony to get a better view of the sunrise, police said. He then fell over the balcony.

Ugland's family was asleep at the time of the accident.

"I wanted to cry. We didn't know him or anything, but it was really sad. He was just a kid and he didn't mean to do it," hotel guest Britany Raines said.

Ugland's best friend said the teen was a straight-A student and played golf on his school's junior varsity team.

"He was a great guy, he always placed his friends first. He was a really hard worker and the smartest kid I know," Charlie Odell said.
It must have been one heck of a sunrise...

Last edited by Davian93; 03-23-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

That's pretty stupid and thoughtless. Definitely qualifies.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, that story strikes me as tragic- a 16 year old boy who actually takes the time to appreciate a sunrise sounds like a rare gem to me.

Now if he had piled chairs up to look at a teenage girl sunbathing nude, well- that would be par for the course.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Hopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita
Hmmm, that story strikes me as tragic- a 16 year old boy who actually takes the time to appreciate a sunrise sounds like a rare gem to me.

Now if he had piled chairs up to look at a teenage girl sunbathing nude, well- that would be par for the course.

Yeah, but at least then it would have been worth it.

Dapple's Alpha
Guardian Wolf to Zaela Sedai and Packmate to the 'taer clan.
Greeter Emeritus

Training younglings to Howl since 1998

Jordan: I have always thought that the small whimper of a theory as it dies is a beautiful sound.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Who says he didn't? lol...they seem to be just guessing. But I don't suppose anyone would be sunbathing at sunrise...
Old 03-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand, he may be too young to qualify. I think the minimum age is 18, though I'm not sure. It's been too long since I checked the actual requirements.

And when I checked the appropriate rule, it turned out to be not as clear cut as that.
Quote:
I appreciate that parents are responsible for raising their offspring and teaching them to make responsible decisions. Therefore children under sixteen are not eligible to win a Darwin Award. However, a few have been included as nominees, when their actions can be considered foolhardy by even their young peers.
Perhaps this would count as sufficiently stupid, perhaps it wouldn't.

Of course, I do think it would fail because of this rule.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Falling off a precipice while posing or pissing
While it does almost look like that I believe the stacking of the chairs and then climbing them for a better view qualifies as an "astounding lapse in judgment" and thus qualifies him.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nah, that's pretty standard 16-year-old behaviour. The only difference is doing it on top of a high building, but that's a detail that may have slipped his mind easily.

Tags
darwin