art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > Bug Reports
User Name
Password

Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold
Default IE 8 doesn't like quick reply

I just installed IE 8. Now, when I hit a quick reply button, instead of going to the quick reply area, it loads the full reply page... Is there a way to solve that? :s

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 05-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

IE8 is an extremely new browser, and it's unlikely that vBulletin supports IE8's capabilities just yet.

vBulletin was designed to degrade gracefully -- if something doesn't work, it falls back on something that does work.

So the short answer is no, there's nothing to be done until vBulletin updates to fix it. Sorry.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 05-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUCamel
IE8 is an extremely new browser, and it's unlikely that vBulletin supports IE8's capabilities just yet.

vBulletin was designed to degrade gracefully -- if something doesn't work, it falls back on something that does work.

So the short answer is no, there's nothing to be done until vBulletin updates to fix it. Sorry.
I just relised, it doesn't only go to the full replly page... it also quotes the message you're replying to...

Old 05-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarevok
I just installed IE 8. Now, when I hit a quick reply button, instead of going to the quick reply area, it loads the full reply page... Is there a way to solve that? :s
Quickreply is a javascript function (j a v a s c r i p t if the censor list is default) and you may need to enable that in IE8. JS is not the same thing as Java Virtual Machine, BTW, so make sure you've got scripting enabled instead of (or as well as) the Virtual Machine add-on.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
Quickreply is a javascript function (j a v a s c r i p t if the censor list is default) and you may need to enable that in IE8. JS is not the same thing as Java Virtual Machine, BTW, so make sure you've got scripting enabled instead of (or as well as) the Virtual Machine add-on.
I think it is enabled, but how do I check that?

Old 05-13-2009, 12:55 PM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

It should be enabled by default.

Google Chrome does the same thing, so don't feel too bad about it.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Youngling

Mat is Better has a spectacular aura aboutMat is Better has a spectacular aura about

- Click tools > Internet Options

- go to the security tab

- select custom level

- scroll to "scripting" section

- enable/disable active scripting

Or just use Firefox. I haven't consistently used IE in years. Although I do have to use it to test websites and stuff that I do for school since it still has the biggest share of the market.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Youngling

Mat is Better has a spectacular aura aboutMat is Better has a spectacular aura about

Stupid IE. Just tested it. Doesn't work in mine either.

Last edited by Mat is Better; 05-13-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Hero of the Horn

Different browsers utilize the DOM (Document Object Model) in different ways, and they process AJAX (a form of Javascript) in different ways. For instance, IE accepts element.innerText but not element.innerHTML, whereas Firefox accepts both commands, to grab the text inside an element.

Another example is how IE establishes an XHR interface versus Firefox.

This is why there are such things as Javascript frameworks like jQuery and mooTools. They take care of all of the differences.

It's not as simple as saying "Well, your Javascript must be turned off" because your Javascript may be turned on, but the code may not be written in a way that IE can understand it.

I haven't seen the code, so I'm really just conjecturing here, but since it doesn't work (apparently) in anything but Firefox (and maybe IE7?) then this is certainly a viable possibility.

At any rate, I don't believe Tam has the ability (or desire) to mess with that particular piece of code at the moment.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Anaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant futureAnaiya Sedai has a brilliant future

why would you wanna use IE?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I haven't seen the code, so I'm really just conjecturing here, but since it doesn't work (apparently) in anything but Firefox (and maybe IE7?) then this is certainly a viable possibility.
It also works well in Opera.

Of course, assuming that Microsoft has abandoned yet another set of standards in order to embrace a new, 'better' set is a fairly safe bet.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
It was fine in IE 6 and 7

Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Hero of the Horn

Still probably a viable possibility. IIRC, Firefox 3 and Chrome have a new Javascript core. It's reasonable to think IE8 does, as well.

Regardless, it looks like you're stuck using the regular reply button like the rest of us. I never use quick reply anyway, so I wouldn't have noticed.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

The quick reply in vBulletin annoys me...always has. My Firefox had issues with it until recently. Not sure what I did to fix it though.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras