art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): Brita,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 06-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias
In fact, that sounds like a typical tourist view of an island paradise. No offense, but there is no way an undeveloped nation like the DR has a life expectancy of NINETY

Maybe you are right. It was a local that told us- a tour guide though, so to be taken with a grain of salt to be sure.

From the U.S. Census Bureau's International Data Base the overall life expectancy in the DR is 73.2 years in 2008. The guide told us that the urban population had a life expectancy of 70 years. The urban population is 68% of the total population. So, assuming he was relaying a fact, what would the rural population life expectancy be to bring the average to 73 years? Someone who is good at math please solve for me.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 06-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Hero of the Horn

JSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant futureJSUCamel has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to JSUCamel Send a message via MSN to JSUCamel Send a message via Yahoo to JSUCamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita
Maybe you are right. It was a local that told us- a tour guide though, so to be taken with a grain of salt to be sure.

From the U.S. Census Bureau's International Data Base the overall life expectancy in the DR is 73.2 years in 2008. The guide told us that the urban population had a life expectancy of 70 years. The urban population is 68% of the total population. So, assuming he was relaying a fact, what would the rural population life expectancy be to bring the average to 73 years? Someone who is good at math please solve for me.
Assuming those figures are correct, then according to my calculations, the average expected lifespan of the rural population of the Dominican Republic would be 80 years. Still a far cry from 90 years.

"Nice try, Jack!" - Robert Jordan (to Camel)
"Camel must be the coolest TLer ever, by now." -GLotD

A grilled cheese eaten more than five minutes later is just no good. -Crispin

Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Sarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to beholdSarevok is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brita

(70 * 0.68 = 47.6
73.2 - 47.6 = 25.6
25.6 / 0.32 = 80)

the Grey Viper, the Lord of Forsaken Roads, the Pink Sunset
Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

I love doing research no one looks at.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilshalos Sedai
I love doing research no one looks at.
Pretty much sums up my job on a daily basis. Parts of it at least.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
That's where wooden shoes are useful: if someone steps on them, he merely glides off.
I'm still disappointed I didn't get any wooden shoes. Perhaps I'll get you to send me some.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Hero of the Horn

John Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really nice
Default Sure, you're right, Neilbert,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilbert
Shouldn't numerous expensive medical tests be having some positive impact on health?

I mean, if they are even catching some small percentage of people like Camel, you would think that there would be some corresponding small increase in health or life expectancy or something.
There is an impact of that stuff - but as you said, those conditions are rare, and the incremental gain in health is often small. And meanwhile, where we lose big time is on the everyday care, the people who are underinsured and uninsured, who have creeping problems like insulin resistance developing into diabetes and heart disease, and so on. Lot's of common problems that really need ordinary but regular care. The fancy stuff has its place, but doesn't have that much in the way of broad impact.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Hero of the Horn

John Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really niceJohn Snow is just really nice

The other trick is that life expectancy includes the whole population, in particular the little ones, who often have a hard time of it. Brita's guide may have meant, once people get past 5 years of age, then the life expectancy is 90. This has been true in a number of "primitive" societies, although the DR is not in nearly as bad a shape as the other side of the island.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Snow
The other trick is that life expectancy includes the whole population, in particular the little ones, who often have a hard time of it. Brita's guide may have meant, once people get past 5 years of age, then the life expectancy is 90. This has been true in a number of "primitive" societies, although the DR is not in nearly as bad a shape as the other side of the island.
The numbers are actually much worse if they keep the under 5's in there...I believe one of Gil's links shows that the life expectancy drops to 58 and 60 with the under 5 year olds included.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 06-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/06/11...ef=mpstoryview

This just highlights the absolute insanity of the US medical community. That a 18 year old girl can spot a serious disease with nothing more than a (relatively) cheap microscpe and a few minutes in biology class proves how ineffective and stagnated our medical establishment has become.

Not that they're infallible... but think of the cost in tests that were probably run for this girl in order to find this disease, when it took her almost no time to figure it out. Thats just disgusting. Probably thousands of dollars flushed down the tube, for no result.

And its not that I disagree with the fact that they didn't find it... but that they COULD have found it just as effectively at a fraction of the cost, and that is probably the case in most situations.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

This story points specifically to a pathologist to me. The proper testing was done, the pathologist missed the diagnosis. Here in Canada, there have been a few high profile cases of health professional incompetence, especially in the diagnostic realm. A physician relies heavily on the results of these tests.

However, that being said, I know the Surgeons and Oncologists here at my hospital will ask for a second opinion if the patient's symptoms strongly point to a certain diagnosis and the pathology comes back as normal. I've seen them do it many times. They can look at the CT images themselves, so they can be their own second opinion in that area.

It is interesting that the solution this article points to is regular second opinions in certain cases. That will burden the health care system even more...

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain

Tags
health care