art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): abackpackthe,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Archived: General Wheel of Time Discussion - 05/2008 - 03/2012
User Name
Password

Old 08-25-2009, 06:18 AM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
* Is "to thin" a proper verb? What's the past tense of it, for that matter?
I'd say yes, and the past tense would be thinned. Or you could use "to make thinner" for the infinitive, in which case "made thinner" would be the past tense (this might be the more strictly correct version; the OED seems fine with "to thin" but MW doesn't, unless I can't read)
Old 08-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Can anyone help me find this quote or is my mind inventing things...?
Your mind may be inventing things, but if so, then it has infected mine. And, just like you, I couldn't find the quote.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

I thought that Mierin (Lanfear) was performing her work at the Sharom - aimed at a thinner piece of the pattern i.e. Shayol Ghul. And that's why the Sharom cracked like an egg.

(Incidentally, this is maybe one of my favourite scenes in the whole series. I can just visualize it so perfectly. Also, this is a major reason that I'm a proponent of the Lanfear Enhancement theory. How do you survive the cracking of said egg and not need a little enhancement?)

Because I never thought that you could physically sense in any one place in the world that the Pattern was thinner, with the exception of right inside Shayol Ghul of course, and that only because hey! the Dark One is talking to you! It's more metaphysical thanit is physical, no?

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 08-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara
(Incidentally, this is maybe one of my favourite scenes in the whole series. I can just visualize it so perfectly. Also, this is a major reason that I'm a proponent of the Lanfear Enhancement theory. How do you survive the cracking of said egg and not need a little enhancement?)
Based on another quote which I don't have available (this time because I didn't bother looking) Lanfear managed this feat by having a day off. She was not there at the moment that things went wrong.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

4Alethinos will become famous soon enough4Alethinos will become famous soon enough

I agree with the idea that Mierin/Lanfear was enhanced. Her power levels as Cyndane are less than what others knew of her when she was in her original body. We also know that she was obsessed by gaining extra power for herself. This was one of the things that led her to seek the power source she sensed and led to the whole project that led to the Bore.

"Power corrupts those who are already corrupt."
Old 08-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Based on another quote which I don't have available (this time because I didn't bother looking) Lanfear managed this feat by having a day off. She was not there at the moment that things went wrong.
But Gonzo...she did it. How could she have had a day off? Am I missing Gonzo humour?

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
I suppose Beidomon, the other prime mover of the project according to the history books, had the day off too?

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:23 AM
Hero of the Horn

4Alethinos will become famous soon enough4Alethinos will become famous soon enough

WE know that Mierin survived because she is stated to have not been present when all DO broke loose. I assume that Beidoman survived for the same reason or he was very very lucky. Everyone 3else in the floating lab died AFAIK.

"It msut have been that tricksey Pattern again!"
Old 08-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
But Gonzo...she did it. How could she have had a day off? Am I missing Gonzo humour?
As someone said, she survived because she was not in the lab when things went wrong. Why she wasn't in the laboratory at that moment is not mentioned, as far as I know.

My "she had a day off" was speculation. More likely seems that she was at another facility, running a remote monitoring system, or something like that. I do not think that she would have decided to stay out of what was supposed to be her crowning moment.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gah. But how do we know for sure she wasn't in the Lab? By the fact that she survived? No mention of Beidomon surviving one way or the other was there? I need to pick up tSR again I see....

Old 08-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Gah. But how do we know for sure she wasn't in the Lab? By the fact that she survived? No mention of Beidomon surviving one way or the other was there? I need to pick up tSR again I see....
Beidomon's survival was confirmed by RJ when he said Beidomon was reviled for his part in opening the Bore and eventually driven to suicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWB - Lanfear
Born Mierin Eronaile, she was not world-famous or well known, though she was respected by her colleagues. She worked at the Collam Daan, the prime center for research into the One Power, located at Vísaine. She was, in fact, a member of the team which discovered the Dark Oneís prison and drilled the bore while trying to find the new source of power that seemingly could be drawn on by men and women without the divisions of saidin and saidar.

There is little doubt that she was surprised as the rest of the world to discover what actually lay beyond the hole she helped create, and she was indeed fortunate to be one of the few to survive the backlash that destroyed the Sharom and most of the Collam Daan.
I see nothing in that description about her not being present at the actual drilling, only that she was lucky to survive the backlash.

In fact, there is nothing in the BWB associated with the word 'Mierin' that even hints that she wasn't front and center at the opening of the Bore other than the fact of her survival. But there were apparently other survivors in the Sharom besides Mierin and Beidomon.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Rats, there you again confusing me with facts, WH. I was under the faint impression that it was a statement made in the series in a Pov by Lanfear or some such thing.

I do know that the idea that she was not present has been stated before in similar discussions in the threads of long ago.

I would pin my hopes on Terez for a confirmation or denial of any source in the series about this. She is a very competent researcher and will find it if it exists.

"Just the facts, ma'am, just the facts."

Tags
aviendha killed asmodean, sparkers/learners