art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond reputeSinistrum has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sinistrum
Default Maybe a glimpse at Earth's very distance future

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090826/...uicidal_planet

I saw this and went "woah that's cool!" which I rarely do for news stories.

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. - River Tam
Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

That's up there with the star in Orion that will die and might take us with it with its death-gamma-ray.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

I could be okay with that. Death by death ray would just be too cool for me to get too upset if there was nothing we could do about it.

Edit: Yeah. No helping that sentence. But it goes like this:

Scientist: Oh noes! That star in Orion has died! It's taking all of us with it with its death gamma ray!

Me: Oh. I guess there's nothing we can do to stop it?

Scientist: NO!

Me: Okay. Death by death ray is an acceptable death. Let's party!

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board

Last edited by Birgitte; 08-27-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilshalos Sedai
That's up there with the star in Orion that will die and might take us with it with its death-gamma-ray.
I haven't heard about that one. What's it gonna do, crash on a neutron star?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, if I remember the documentary, yes.

It's supposed to go nova within the next 20K years. It's big enough to produce a black hole which could shoot a gamma ray straight out its axis. Which is aimed toward us, as near as the astrophysicists that were on the documentary could figure. It's a companion star to a smaller one it's orbiting.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, a black hole was the other option I'd considered.

Birgitte, there is a serious problem with the death ray scenario: it would move with the speed of light. So we wouldn't see it coming, which would mean no Grand Last Party.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah, they said it would cook the ozone layer instantly, which would fry us.

I THINK this is the paper discussing it. I'm not sure, I don't speak physicist fluently any more. http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1538-4...4-7540cca0e4e7

I think they were talking about Betelgeuse in the documentary. I don't really remember the name of the star. They did note a spiral tail coming off it as it bleeds gas.

Last edited by Gilshalos Sedai; 08-27-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilshalos Sedai
Yeah, they said it would cook the ozone layer instantly, which would fry us.
That would boil the beer, which probably doesn't improve the flavor. Of course, with beer, would anyone really notice?

Quote:
I THINK this is the paper discussing it. I'm not sure, I don't speak physicist fluently any more. http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1538-4...4-7540cca0e4e7
No, it isn't. It is a quite interesting discussion on supernovas in star formation regions in the Orion Nebula, and how the origin of the solar system may have been in a very similar environment. That would explain some of the abundances of short lived (a couple of million years) radioactives found in ancient meteorites.
So instead of talking about the end of the Earth, they're talking about its beginning.

Quote:
I think they were talking about Betelgeuse in the documentary. I don't really remember the name of the star. They did note a spiral tail coming off it as it bleeds gas.
Betelgeuse may indeed explode any moment now. (Give or take a million years; some uncertainty is inevitable. After it has gone BANG, we'll get a more accurate prediction for the precise time.)
It is about 570 light years away, so if it exploded 550 years ago, then we'll see that in 2029.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Yeah, a black hole was the other option I'd considered.

Birgitte, there is a serious problem with the death ray scenario: it would move with the speed of light. So we wouldn't see it coming, which would mean no Grand Last Party.

I didn't really expect one. I just was pushing it to make it clear that if I am at all aware after death by death ray, I'll find it sufficiently neat not to care that much.

Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 08-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgitte
I didn't really expect one. I just was pushing it to make it clear that if I am at all aware after death by death ray, I'll find it sufficiently neat not to care that much.
I thought it was hilarous, even after Gonzo killed all the humor.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:09 AM
Hero of the Horn

If I've killed the humor anyway, then I might as well also kill the "will this be the way Earth goes" idea.
That planet is spiraling in to its star, because the rotation around the star goes quicker than the star's own rotation around its axis. For Earth that's not the case, so there the effect would be in the other direction. A good example of that is our own Moon, which has been moving away from Earth ever since it formed, for precisely the same reason.

Do the math, and it is all perfectly obvious.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:31 AM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
If I've killed the humor anyway, then I might as well also kill the "will this be the way Earth goes" idea.
That planet is spiraling in to its star, because the rotation around the star goes quicker than the star's own rotation around its axis. For Earth that's not the case, so there the effect would be in the other direction. A good example of that is our own Moon, which has been moving away from Earth ever since it formed, for precisely the same reason.

Do the math, and it is all perfectly obvious.
I guess going towards the sun would be a hotter climate and then like die of a super heatstroke or something. But I wonder what happens with us going further from the sun and the moon getting further away too. Will we freeze to death first or will some freaky gravitational pull do some shit to us first? What will happen to the tide if the moon moves away more and more for example? shorelines etc should get a little fucked up at least.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Some time ago (4 billion years or thereabouts) the Moon was a lot closer, and Earth rotated a lot faster. You would have had something like ten meter tides everywhere, every 3 hours.

In the future, Earth will move further away from the Sun, true. But that is a very slow process, because the distances are rather large compared to the speed of rotation, and the tidal forces involved are rather weak as a result. This moving away will probably more than countered by the slow warming up of the Sun during its further evolution on the Main Sequence.
The tides as a result of the Moon will decrease in size, but that too will take a while. It will effect shorelines, but you needn't worry about that: colliding continents will mess them up far earlier, and I doubt your insurance covers that either.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
I thought it was hilarous, even after Gonzo killed all the humor.

Thanks, Crispy

And @ Gonzo, for trying to kill my joke.

Queen of the TCA

Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM
Hero of the Horn

Mort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond reputeMort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Mort

Quote:
The tides as a result of the Moon will decrease in size, but that too will take a while. It will effect shorelines, but you needn't worry about that: colliding continents will mess them up far earlier, and I doubt your insurance covers that either.
About time to start finding ourselves a new planet. Lucky for us we have some time to enhance space travel and terra formation

But who are we kidding... most will probably die in nuke holocaust before anyone even sets foot on Mars.

"I discovered at an early age that if I talk long enough, I can make anything right or wrong. So either I am God, or truth is relative." - Jeff Winger, Community
----------

We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.