art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyrlin
At DragonCon '05, that question was asked, because I think it was wondered how that occurred, as in was it an affect of the OP or the Creator (and I think in the past I have wondered if it was T'A'R related). I'll quote it again:

What the Wheel wants, the Wheel often gets, even when it has to get involved directly.
That makes sense. I still don't think it was a PLE at that moment, because I think it was just Rand imagining the sequence.

But I do think it's possible that a PLE occured, and probably for the same reasons that the PLE at falme happened as well. The pattern needed only one true Dragon. At Dragonmount, it needed Rand to have all the advantage of his prior incarnation, so it merged LTT and Rand, effectively creating one true Dragon.

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.

Last edited by Sodas; 11-10-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Lord of the Board

Tamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond reputeTamyrlin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tamyrlin
Default Angels, Visions and Voices.

Quote:
It's not that pre-planning is itself cheap, it's that it cheapens Rand's clarity of vision and personal transformation at that moment. To use a dangerous analogy, what if Jesus, after asking why God had forsaken him, heard a whisper in his ear, "Don't worry, you'll be back in three days my son." Doesn't that cheapen his sacrifice?

At moments of personal crisis, to have the Pattern or Wheel or God intervene is lame.
I don't think that cheapens his sacrifice whatsoever, because you still have to believe the voice and believe what it is telling you and believe that it is not yourself or that you are crazy. God intervenes throughout Christ's life and iirc, sends an angel to him while he suffers in Gethsemane to comfort him.

Plus, I see this PLE like I would a religious vision, which I don't think cheapens the experience at all. Why is the OP as the causing agent any less cheap than the Wheel?

Quote:
Well that was kind of my whole point--he has to access the OP through T'A'R, and drawing that much meant he could access the properties of T'A'R without going there. It's a leap, I understand.
We agree, it's a leap - but like I said, T'A'R is believable.

Tags
integration, lews therin