art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Thanks B - that was the make I was referring to - the N95. (I was confusing it in my head with H1N1 LOL)

We just got the news that the H1N1 vaccine is not being made available to government staff at in-house flu clinics, but that we will still have in-house regular flu vaccine clinics. People are being encouraged to take the H1N1 shot (including healthcare workers) - that's all.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 11-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

H1N1 a 'dud' pandemic, Ont. health official says

Quote:
The huge investments governments made into swine flu pandemic planning might not have been justified, a public health official said Thursday.

"It's really not causing — and is not going to cause and nowhere has caused — significant levels of illness or death," said Dr. Richard Schabas, Ontario's former chief medical officer of health.

"But governments moved ahead regardless. They ramped up their response, spent a huge amount of money on vaccines and other things. I'm not sure the $1.5 billion includes the cost of new ventilators, the cost of Tamiflu stockpiles … the huge investment that's been put into planning for what has ultimately turned out to be, from a pandemic perspective, a dud."

Schabas is now the chief medical officer of health for Hastings and Prince Edward counties in eastern Ontario.

On Thursday, the Globe and Mail reported that Canada has so far spent $1.5 billion on the H1N1 vaccination campaign, twice as much as health officials predicted. The H1N1 vaccine targets the strain of H1N1 influenza A virus causing the current swine flu pandemic.

Originally, it was estimated a single dose of the vaccine would cost $16. That cost has now risen to $30. The increasing cost is attributed in part to an unexpected surge in demand late last month.

By the time the immunization campaign is complete, the cost could exceed $2 billion.

Meanwhile, a new poll suggests more than half of Canadians believe concerns over the risk of H1N1 are exaggerated.

The EKOS poll, conducted exclusively for CBC News, found 53 per cent of respondents said the level of concern about swine flu is exaggerated, considering the real risks of the virus. Thirty-seven per cent said the concern was consistent with the level of risk, and 10 per cent said the level of risk was understated.

The poll also found that while 39 per cent of Canadians approve of the federal government's handling of the H1N1 threat, 39 per cent disapprove. About 22 per cent did not know or had no response.

The survey of 3,502 people was conducted by telephone between Nov. 4 and Nov. 10, 2009, and has an error margin of plus or minus 1.7 percentage points, 19 times out of 20. Both landline and cellphone users were included.
Now I, for one, am not on the "Drug Company Conspiracy" bandwagon, although I am sure GSK is rubbing their hands gleefully. I think the government did not have a crystal ball, and took the prudent route, which I can understand.

That being said, in relation to this thread in particular (and the NYC workers lawsuit), the vaccine should never have been mandatory for anyone, given the lack of evidence on many fronts. The governments were right to act cautiously, imo, but the immense pressure and stigma facing those who chose not to get vaccinated was unwarranted and unfair. In this particular flu situation, the choice was a personal one, and until the evidence showed otherwise, should remain a personal one.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 11-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Anecdotally, H1N1 certainly seemed to be more virulent than seasonal flu, if not more deadly. We've had many reports of it here with hundreds of kids out of school.

Why, just the other weekend, both my kids got sick with a fever and headache. When I brought my son into kindergarten, the teacher asked if he'd been sick, because 15 kids (out of 23) in his class were home with the flu.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
Anecdotally, H1N1 certainly seemed to be more virulent than seasonal flu, if not more deadly. We've had many reports of it here with hundreds of kids out of school.

Why, just the other weekend, both my kids got sick with a fever and headache. When I brought my son into kindergarten, the teacher asked if he'd been sick, because 15 kids (out of 23) in his class were home with the flu.
Were they really all home sick or was it a mass panic by frightened parents?

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Shiny Puppy

The Great Serpent is a name known to allThe Great Serpent is a name known to allThe Great Serpent is a name known to allThe Great Serpent is a name known to allThe Great Serpent is a name known to allThe Great Serpent is a name known to allThe Great Serpent is a name known to allThe Great Serpent is a name known to allThe Great Serpent is a name known to all

*ahem*

If it ain't pigs which caused swine flu
Crayons not pink eye, but dog poo
Then H1N1
Isn't quite as fun
And what are our doctors to do!
________
WIKI VAPORIZER

Last edited by The Great Serpent; 09-15-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

tworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant futuretworiverswoman has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to tworiverswoman

On the basis of nothing much (except a lay person's faith in human nature [of the stupider variety]) I'm going to put forth that the 'government' mandate requiring vaccination for employees was probably promulgated by a single person (or very small group) in charge of human resources.

We all talk about "the government" like it's an entity in its own right. Every once in a while I try to remember that there's really no such thing -- just a great many people -- at least half of whom are below average in intelligence, if statistics are to be believed...

As far as drug company conspiracies are concerned, I must admit it bothers me that the estimated cost of the vaccine nearly doubled when demand went up.

If a pandemic turns out to be a dud, doesn't that sorta mean that the measures taken to contain it WORKED? Rather like the Y2K scare in 1999? If the government agencies had said "Meh - it'll blow over" wouldn't everyone have been outraged at how they were disregarding public safety?

It must be a bitch being in charge, sometimes. Can't win for losing.
"once I'm naked, i can't get any cooler!" - Camel

Back in my day Pluto was a planet!
Old 11-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93
Were they really all home sick or was it a mass panic by frightened parents?
No way for me to know that, but I know that my kids were definitely sick. Odds are pretty good they got it at school. Moreover, this was the first day back right after parent-teacher conferences, so there's no way the all could have known ahead of time.

And as I said, this was anecdotal. I've heard other anecdotal stories saying exactly the same thing.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworiverswoman
If a pandemic turns out to be a dud, doesn't that sorta mean that the measures taken to contain it WORKED? Rather like the Y2K scare in 1999? If the government agencies had said "Meh - it'll blow over" wouldn't everyone have been outraged at how they were disregarding public safety?
This is my feeling, too. It's a good thing the virus didn't turn out to be super-deadly, but that also means it gets a bad rap as far as pandemics go.

Whether it was a dud or the preventative measures worked...it's pretty hard to tell.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

Old 11-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtz
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL
You must spread rep around before giving it to Kurtz again
Dammit.

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras
Old 11-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Elder

RogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of light

Poor Mato...

he just loves Kurtz so much!
and you were tasty!-Brita
That was fabulous m'dear
-Zaela
Hero of Theoryland
Old 11-13-2009, 08:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian
No way for me to know that, but I know that my kids were definitely sick. Odds are pretty good they got it at school. Moreover, this was the first day back right after parent-teacher conferences, so there's no way the all could have known ahead of time.

And as I said, this was anecdotal. I've heard other anecdotal stories saying exactly the same thing.
A few weeks back, several VT schools closed as a result of lack of attendance but there were only a few reported cases of H1N1 (I'm on a task force monitoring stuff like that FWIW). One elementary school had something like 200+ absences out of 600 students but stayed open. A good number were parents simply refusing to send their kids in.

Ironically, that panic probably helped quell the spread of the flu as the parents essentially iniated a voluntary quarantine.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot

Tags
health care, vaccines