art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): sakrsaulb,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book Tour: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dallas Signing (Good stuff here)

Ok, so I got to the Borders late (damn dumb Arlington traffic took forever) so I missed the initial speech Brandon gave. He refused to answer anything relating to tGS or anything that might touch upon it or stuff after tGS in this portion, though, so I didn't miss much. Anyways, when my time to get my book signed came up, I got three questions off. I then hung around and listened in to see what other questions I could hear. I finally got to ask two more of my own. Here's what I got out of this signing: (These are mostly based off of my memories, I didn't have a tape recorder or anything, but these are accurate.)

Mato (AKA Me): OK, just a heads up, I'm from Theoryland so you know I've got a few questions I'm going to have to ask you...
Sanderson: Oh boy...I'm going to have to think about these, aren't I?

Mato
: ~laughs~ OK... Heroes of the Horn, are they corrective mechanisms by themselves, or are they corrective mechanisms by virtue of being Ta'veren?
Sanderson: Heroes are not always Ta'veren. So, yes, they are corrective mechanisms by themselves.

Mato
: OK, number two. Have the visions and other such prophecies about Egwene and the Seanchan (such as the running one and the one with the sword) have they been fulfilled yet?
Sanderson: No, none of those have been fulfilled other than the attack on the White Tower. She still has more to go.

Mato
: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
Sanderson: I would like to clarify this, thanks for asking. I will NOT say that it was not in the notes. However, Mr. Jordan did NOT want to reveal this information, and therefore I shall not ever either. Mr. Jordan did not want to reveal it.
Harriet: What Brandon said.

Mato
: Oh, ok, well that's all for now. Thanks a lot!
Sanderson: Wow, I was able to answer all three of those questions. Really well thought out, congratulations! I didn't have to RAFO you! You get a silver star.
Mato: Haha, I'll let the guys at Theoryland know that, after all, they're mostly their questions.

Random Storm Leader: Does Elayne know that Allana bonded Rand?
Sanderson: Uh...well... I'll have to check that. MAFO. Good question.

Random Crazy Lady: Is there any chance that Cadsuane might be Ilyena reborn?
Sanderson: I...wha?...First of all, I'm not going to answer that. Second of all...EWW! ... And you can quote me on that! [note from Mato: This was frackin' HILARIOUS. Totally unexpected, and Sanderson was totally shocked over it.]

Mato: Did the meeting between Rand and Moridin for sure happen in TAR or could it have happened in a Vacuole?
Sanderson: I...well. I'm going to partially RAFO this. I will not say it for sure happened in TAR, and I'm not sure whether the other instances of this were TAR either.

[note: this next one is heavily paraphrased. I was not able to hear a good amount of it]
Random Storm Leader: Elaida's dress in the dinner where she beat Egwene, I noticed that you included uncut <insert stone type here...Mato can't recall what it was> stones in her dress.
Sanderson: Ah yes, I added that post-revision remembering your question you had asked me before. I felt it fit in with the technology, and was a good addition. By the way, the Storm Leaders in this particular signing have been the best prepared so far. You all have done great!
Random Storm Leader: Oh, thank you! We did try.

Mato: Can you elaborate on why the voice of Lews Therin was not speaking when Rand and Isha--I mean Moridin were talking? Is it becau--
Sanderson: Ah. Yes, well, I'm going to have to RAFO that one...too close to dealing with the specifics of the voice, sorry.

[note from Mato: had some trouble hearing this next question, take it's answer as just a generic "RAFO, not a typo. There were other typos. <insert example>"]
Random Storm Leader: Was Sulin really with Rand or--?
Sanderson: RAFO. I will tell you when there are typos or not. This is a RAFO. <begin paraphrasing> Some typos that have been found are Bashere appearing as Faile's cousin rather than uncle...my hands kept wanting to type cousin instead. <end paraphrasing>
Random Storm Leader: Ah, what about the Amyrlin stole versus shawl?
Sanderson: Typo. My hands kept trying to switch stole and shawl throughout the book. Giving me trouble. You know how it is when you're going along and your hands want to type something different...

Well there ya have it! Lots of good information here, the death of a faction war being among one of them. Also, I have official proof that Bela killed Asmodean

For the personalization of my signing I put:

For Mason Matoyak __________ killed Asmodean.
Here's the pic of what he wrote:

[Gawyn] probably pops his collar. - Kivo
Mat's hat is a Darkfriend. - Daekyras

Last edited by Matoyak; 11-15-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matoyak
Sanderson: RAFO. I will tell you when there are typos or not. This is a RAFO. Some typos that have been found are Bashere appearing as Faile's cousin rather than uncle...my hands kept wanting to type cousin instead.

I could have sworn Bashere is Faile's father. Was this a lingual typo or something I'm going to understand when the stupid library quits transporting my hold and puts it on the hold shelf tommorrow or Monday? (Stupid status has been "In transit" since wednesday. )

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:49 AM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Mato[/U]: OK, number two. Have the visions and other such prophecies about Egwene and the Seanchan (such as the running one and the one with the sword) have they been fulfilled yet?
Sanderson: No, none of those have been fulfilled other than the attack on the White Tower. She still has more to go.
Oh well, it was a well-reasoned theory at any rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato
Mato[/U]: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
Sanderson: I would like to clarify this, thanks for asking. I will NOT say that it was not in the notes. However, Mr. Jordan did NOT want to reveal this information, and therefore I shall not ever either. Mr. Jordan did not want to reveal it.
Harriet: What Brandon said
Well, ain't that a pisser...?

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Hero of the Horn

Isabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to beholdIsabel is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Isabel

Well, than its clear. It is in the notes, but RJ didn't want to reveal it. So we will never know who is correct

Now we only need to ask a follow up question: Since RJ didn't want to reveal anything about the voice. Did you write TGS that way, so that both options are still possible?
'Rand al'Thor, Nynaeve shrieked, that is the most outrageous thing I ever heard out of your mouth. The very idea of telling three women you love them! You are worse than a lecher. You apologize right now!'

Isabel sedai of the Green Ajah, Amyrlin of the Official Nynaeve Fanclub, first sister to Gennie Sedai of the Green Ajah, bonded to Camel, Wolf Gaidin, Jachthond and ghostrider.
Hero of the Horn

Matoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of lightMatoyak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold

I could have sworn Bashere is Faile's father. Was this a lingual typo or something I'm going to understand when the stupid library quits transporting my hold and puts it on the hold shelf tommorrow or Monday? (Stupid status has been "In transit" since wednesday. )
Actually, that might be a memory misfire on my part. Tenobia not faile. I had a lot of trouble hearing that particular question, and that second half is mostly paraphrased. He might have said father instead of uncle. I was more interested in the other parts, and one of the storm leaders were talking at the time.

Last edited by Matoyak; 11-15-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Mato: ~laughs~ OK... Heroes of the Horn, are they corrective mechanisms by themselves, or are they corrective mechanisms by virtue of being Ta'veren?
Sanderson: Heroes are not always Ta'veren. So, yes, they are corrective mechanisms by themselves.
Okay, I guess this clears up the faction question, if not the issue of how they can be corrective mechanisms in lives where they don't do anything special.

Quote:
Mato: OK, number two. Have the visions and other such prophecies about Egwene and the Seanchan (such as the running one and the one with the sword) have they been fulfilled yet?
Yay, Seanchan woman is NOT a metaphor for the Tower attack. Well, I guess you could bandy words with this one, but I think it's pretty clear that's what he meant.

Quote:
Mato: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
Yay! Means there IS a correct answer - they're just not going to tell us what it is.
Quote:
Mato: Did the meeting between Rand and Moridin for sure happen in TAR or could it have happened in a Vacuole?
Sanderson: I...well. I'm going to partially RAFO this. I will not say it for sure happened in TAR, and I'm not sure whether the other instances of this were TAR either.
Interesting!

Quote:
Mato: Can you elaborate on why the voice of Lews Therin was not speaking when Rand and Isha--I mean Moridin were talking? Is it becau--
Sanderson: Ah. Yes, well, I'm going to have to RAFO that one...too close to dealing with the specifics of the voice, sorry.
Yay! Seems like there might be more info to come on this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isa
So we will never know who is correct
Some of us will know; others will remain hopelessly deluded.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
Quote:
Yay! Seems like there might be more info to come on this one?
Probably not. The way he said it indicated it was a done deal, and he didn't want to get into it because it had to do with LTT voice. The way he said it indicated there wouldn't be any more info, but he might have done that on purpose.

My previous posts have been edited.

EDIT:
Quote:
if not the issue of how they can be corrective mechanisms in lives where they don't do anything special.
They don't have to be Ta'veren to do something special, Terez. All a Ta'veren does is bend threads around him and get woven by the pattern more harshly. No need to be Ta'veren to do special things...

Last edited by Matoyak; 11-15-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Ancient

Tercel will become famous soon enoughTercel will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Random Storm Leader: Was Sulin really with Rand or--?
Sanderson: RAFO. I will tell you when there are typos or not. This is a RAFO.
?!? So it was really intentional that Sulin was with Rand. This means either:
1) It isn't Sulin; or
2) The Aiel knew where Perrin was and were using gateways to exchange people, but hadn't told Rand or Cadsuane this.

...so a question for you tGS rereaders: When Cadsuane is trying to find out where Perrin is, are any Aiel Wise Ones around at the time?
Old 11-15-2009, 02:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They don't have to be Ta'veren to do something special, Terez. All a Ta'veren does is bend threads around him and get woven by the pattern more harshly. No need to be Ta'veren to do special things...
I didn't say they had to be ta'veren to do something special. Why are you putting words in my mouth?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
I didn't say they had to be ta'veren to do something special. Why are you putting words in my mouth?
Quote:
if not the issue of how they can be corrective mechanisms in lives where they don't do anything special.
That is what you meant, right? Otherwise I'm not sure how that applies to the Ta'veren and Heroes thing at all?

Old 11-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
That is what you meant, right? Otherwise I'm not sure how that applies to the Ta'veren and Heroes thing at all?
Well, we know how ta'veren are corrective mechanisms. The question remains as to how, exactly, Heroes are corrective mechanisms. WH has argued in the past that it is because of things that they do during their lives, but BS seems to be implying that they are corrective mechanisms even in lives where they don't do 'anything extraordinary' at all (see the quote Yellowbeard gave).
Old 11-15-2009, 12:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Jokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond reputeJokeslayer has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jokeslayer

Quote:
Well, we know how ta'veren are corrective mechanisms. The question remains as to how, exactly, Heroes are corrective mechanisms. WH has argued in the past that it is because of things that they do during their lives, but BS seems to be implying that they are corrective mechanisms even in lives where they don't do 'anything extraordinary' at all (see the quote Yellowbeard gave).
It's possible they do extraordinary things that don't appear extraordinary but have extraordinary consequences. That probably makes no sense. Even a farmer can be the pebble that sends the avalanche around the village.

Quote:
Mato: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
Hey, that's what I said
Old 11-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay, I guess this clears up the faction question, if not the issue of how they can be corrective mechanisms in lives where they don't do anything special.
Min could be such a Hero, who is doing special things without being actually ta'veren. Of course, some people in Randland do consider her such, but that's because they don't see the difference.

Another, probably more obvious, example would be Moiraine. If she hadn't done what she did, then Rand wouldn't have had any chance of success. So she acted as a corrective mechanism to Ishamael's machinations, without being ta'veren.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Ancient

Kurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud ofKurtz has much to be proud of

Brandon nicely deflected the Cadsuane/Ilyena question there. Looks like that one will rumble on.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat
Min could be such a Hero, who is doing special things without being actually ta'veren. Of course, some people in Randland do consider her such, but that's because they don't see the difference.
Try looking at what I actually said rather than the words that Mato tried to put in my mouth.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Try looking at what I actually said rather than the words that Mato tried to put in my mouth.
Then I obviously have no clue what you are saying. Not trying to "Put words in your mouth" at all. And apparently it's not just me that isn't understanding what you are saying either...

Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Hero of the Horn

It's really simple: Brandon said that Heroes are corrective mechanisms just by being who they are, not in the same way as ta'veren. The books and RJ say that Heroes are spun out to be corrective mechanisms. Brandon says that sometimes Heroes live lives where they don't do anything extraordinary at all. Therefore, we need to ask him if they are still corrective mechanisms in these lives where they don't do anything extraordinary, and if so, how they are corrective mechanisms in those lives (because it doesn't really make any sense that they could be corrective mechanisms if they don't do anything extraordinary). I have a feeling that he will answer that they are not corrective mechanisms in those lives, but I could be wrong.

I never even implied that you have to be ta'veren to do something important.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Brandon says that sometimes Heroes live lives where they don't do anything extraordinary at all.
That's the part I was missing. Makes sense now.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Hero of the Horn

That was why I referred you to Yellowbeard's quote in this post. But glad we're straight now.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:47 PM
Elder

FelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant futureFelixPax has a brilliant future

Quote:

Mato[/U]: ~laughs~ OK... Heroes of the Horn, are they corrective mechanisms by themselves, or are they corrective mechanisms by virtue of being Ta'veren?

So would Egwene be a future "Hero", seems to be implied towards the ending chapters of tGS?

Quote:
Mato
Quote:
: OK, number two. Have the visions and other such prophecies about Egwene and the Seanchan (such as the running one and the one with the sword) have they been fulfilled yet?

Cool! I was correct about these Dreams, so far.

Quote:
Mato
Quote:
: Yeah, OK. 3. There have been rumors that you have said that Mr. Jordan did not have anything in his notes about the voice of Lews Therin, whether it was a construct or not. That or that you had sai--[cut off]
[U]
Consider the conclusion of tGS, I almost wonder if the champion of the light and shadow are one? Is Rand, Moridin, L.T.T all the very same person? L.T.T. being a type of split personality, because Rand didn't want to mentally accept that he is the Dragon Reborn, for real-- all the pain the Dragon caused over the years.

Yes, I'm entertaining the idea that possibly Moridin is tied into Rand? Why ever consider this far out idea? Because of the "Halo of Darkness" chapters. However, the evil that Hurin later smells coming from Rand maybe also an evil and darkness a kin to that of Shadar Logoth. Meaning Rand might very well have within his soul, the evil of Mordeth, the evil of the Shadow, and memory of the light (love, joy)?

The really wild speculation here, is whether Rand/Moridin/evil taint of (Mordeth's)Shador Logoth are similar to Isam/Luc/Slayer? Two souls, two bodies, three names? Coming to one essence in the end? Err...Rand needs one essence, soul to win--whether its the light (Rand), evil of the shadow (Moridin), or evil that hates the shadow & the light (Mordeth). In Luc's own case, the shadow won that battle.

Is this make-up of Rand/Moridin/Mordeth (wound) partially why Rand is foretold to have 3 wives, lovers by the Wise Ones & Nicola? Just enough close lovers to overcome by one in number, the evilness contained within Rand now, by Moridin & Mordeth, to remember love, joy, happiness and the light in the darkest of times?

I'm not sure what to think about all this at the moment, seriously. But I will at least consider it, seeing that L.T.T essence seems to of been a type of split personality disorder of Rand's, because of his own struggle to accept that he is Dragon Reborn's soul, and accept as his as own all those past re-births memories. Since Rand has been enlightened now, L.T.T shouldn't exist in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Matoyak
Random Storm Leader: Does Elayne know that Allana bonded Rand?
Sanderson: Uh...well... I'll have to check that. MAFO. Good question.
Yes, didn't Rand tell Elayne in person that Alanna bonded him first, as one reason why they shouldn't be able to bond Rand in Caemlyn--Min, Aviendha, Elayne.

Brandon should of known this answer already; sounds like he's playing it safe.

Quote:
I'm going to speculate bigtime it occurred within Rand's own brain, laugh, just like L.T.T did too.

For more see, @TinkerPride at Twitter.com

Last edited by FelixPax; 11-15-2009 at 10:53 PM.