art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (1): kchlenkerreni,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by a dragonburned fool
We don't know this. We know that Heroes of the Horn have access to every memory during one turn of the Wheel (but not about multiple turns), and it shouldn't be forgotten that Heroes are a very special group. ...
We know that every Soul contains the same memory record tha Heroes have or it would not be possible to add to the Hero's ranks which Hawkwing explicity stated is possible.

That the Soul contains every past life's imprint isn't as explicitly stated, but what is stated about the extent of Heros' memories while between incarnations doesn't seem to me to fit within a single Turning.

As for Karma not existing in the WOT, I think it does. What is missing is the Budhist concept of rewards and punishements progressing along the road to Nirvana through multiple incarnations. Karma in the WOT seems to be a "during this lifetime" system of rewards and penalties rather than an eternal system.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Hero of the Horn

a dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of lighta dragonburned fool is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
We know that every Soul contains the same memory record tha Heroes have or it would not be possible to add to the Hero's ranks which Hawkwing explicity stated is possible.

That the Soul contains every past life's imprint isn't as explicitly stated, but what is stated about the extent of Heros' memories while between incarnations doesn't seem to me to fit within a single Turning.
But we have no indication about a Hero having a pre-hero memory. Birgitte significantly has no a single memory being not a Hero, and she doesn't remember her current life as a Warder in the past turn, but only vague gossips about some warder woman. And Heroes can know that others join their rank just by seeing noobs among their ranks, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold
As for Karma not existing in the WOT, I think it does. What is missing is the Budhist concept of rewards and punishements progressing along the road to Nirvana through multiple incarnations. Karma in the WOT seems to be a "during this lifetime" system of rewards and penalties rather than an eternal system.
The "during the lifetime" karma is definitely quite twisted in being represented by the Wheel's workings, that do not exactly make justice, but just work for It's oun ends manipulating people undiscriminately. And an equivalent of a karma between lives is too much widespread in the form that what you do in one life usually determines what you are born in the next one, independently of whether there is a path to Nirvana or no. It's there in such distant branches of reincarnation believes as the pythagorean reincarnation for instance. Usually in beliefs about reincarnation this dependancy is why the belief is suggested important, it seems.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Hero of the Horn

Sodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura aboutSodas has a spectacular aura about

Overall, I agree with the idea that it is a gap, not a barrier.

I've argued this before, that the concept of a barrier is flawed. And the concepts of fraying the viel between lives is a poor description of what happened.

My favorite quote that supports this is actually back in Crossroads,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads of Twilight pg 558. A Strengthening Storm
For an instant, he thought those must have been Lews Therin's reflections. He had never gone on that way about the Creator or anything else that he recalled. But he could feel Lews Therin nodding in approval, a man listening to someone else. Still, it was not the kind of thing he would have considered before Lews Therin. How much space remained between them?
I guess where I disagree, is in the concept that it's a gap between Rand and his former lives. I think it's just a gap between Rand and one particular former life, LTT.

Mazrim Taim drew the eye. He was tall, with a strongly hooked nose and an air of physical strength about him. An air of darkness, too. He sat there with his ankles crossed and one arm hanging over the heavy arm of the throne, yet he seemed ready to explode into violence. Interestingly, though his black coat was embroidered with blue-and-gold dragons that twined around the sleeves from elbows to cuffs, he did not wear the collar pins.

Tags
barrier degradation, lews therin