art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/08 - 09/09
User Name
Password

Old 08-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Dragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond reputeDragon Thief has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Dragon Thief
Default Codex of Alera

I saw someone recommend the Dresden Files books (I think maybe on the Facebook TL page), so I went a two weeks ago to grab a couple - and they didn't have the first two. But I saw that the same author - Jim Butcher - had another series, Codex of Alera, that looked interesting, so I've been reading them.

And damn, are they good. I don't think the writing is superb or anything - but the characters and the story are so awesome, I've been flying thru the books so fast, that it doesn't matter. I'm on book five now, I started I think two weeks ago.

No real spoilers ahead, just talking about some general trends of the book. I love how the banter between Tavi and Max occurs. I love the intuitive nature of Tavi, how he's always doing things right instinctively.

For anyone who's interested and hasn't read them. Tavi is a young boy who, in the whole kingdom of Alera, has no magic. It's never happened before, so many consider him to almost be a freak. Despite this, Tavi has been raised by his Uncle to not let that hamper him. The whole series is about Tavi (and his family and friends) and how the actions of such a seemingly small person can affect the world - that's even the theme written in the writings you see in the prologues. Very well worth the read, IMNSHO.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Brita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond reputeBrita has a reputation beyond repute

Cool.

~~makes mental note to pick up series~~

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. ― Anthony Bourdain
Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

DT, Bryan's been reading them, I haven't yet picked them up.

GO READ DRESDEN.

By: Steampunk Boba Fett
Old 08-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

4Alethinos will become famous soon enough4Alethinos will become famous soon enough

I too have been reading both series and enjoy them a great deal. I get the hardbounds of the Dresden files and the paperbacks of the Codex Alera series. I have yet to read book 5. Book 6 is due sometime this year, I believe.

I like Jim Butcher's books. His characters tend to get beaten to a pulp in the course of gaining a victory.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Hero of the Horn

Gilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond reputeGilshalos Sedai has a reputation beyond repute

He is very good at underdogs.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Hero of the Horn

Birgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant futureBirgitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Birgitte Send a message via MSN to Birgitte

Bad Guy: You think you're cute, don't you, Dresden?

Harry: I'm freakin' adorable.

hehehe... I ran through the Dresden Files. I've been debating about picking up the Codex of Alera.

General of the Northern Border, Hero of Krieros Valley, the Coffinnail
Queen of the TCA

"Sometimes I sit around... watching chat... and thinking...sh*t... I created this madness." -- Lord of the Board
Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Hero of the Horn

Borrow ours.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother

I had picked up the Dresden Files books after catching the series on SciFi channel and being intrigued. I actually was disappointed with Storm Front (the first book in the series) and didn't read any more of the series. A couple of weeks ago I saw them at the library and decided to give them another shot. After two weeks and 8 more books I finished the series with a grin. Not that the series is finished, I don't think but I've read all of them that are currently available. Codex of Alera is next on my list. and it's still a long freaking list

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Hero of the Horn

Small Favor is the most recent one out. And no, there's no end.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Hero of the Horn

4Alethinos will become famous soon enough4Alethinos will become famous soon enough

The hardbound of Turncoat has been out for some time. Small Favor is in paperback now. There is a followup of this book as long short story. Check Jim's website for the name of the book in which it occurs. I think it is one edited by P.N. Elrod.

Go Harry D.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Hero of the Horn

Thanks for the correction, 4A. Turncoat is indeed book 9(?) (or is it 10?)

Dresden: The cooler wizard named Harry.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Hero of the Horn

jason wolfbrother has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to jason wolfbrother Send a message via MSN to jason wolfbrother Send a message via Yahoo to jason wolfbrother
Default yeah Turncoat

that's the last one the library had in hardcover. think it just came out recently. waiting impatiently for the next installment. think I'll check that long short story 4A mentioned. thx gil and 4A

Wash:"Things are about to get interesting"
Mal:"Define interesting..."
Wash:"Oh God! Oh God! We're all gonna die!?"

"If you are not living life on the edge, you are taking up too much space"
Old 11-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

Just finished First Lord's Fury. Really satisfying wrap up, although I could have used maybe one more chapter at the end to tie everything up and revel in the ending. But this is a really really good series. Probably in my top 3 or 4 favorites.

Tags
books, jim butcher