art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-29-2009, 04:44 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez
Default Can Rand do it?

This is newóor, at least, it's not something that Rand seems to have considered since The Dragon Reborn, when he thought he killed the Dark One:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ/BWS
TITLE - The Gathering Storm
CHAPTER: 15 - A Place to Begin
Quote:
"It is not time for us to fight," Moridin said, waving a hand at Rand. "Go. Leave me in peace. I do not know what would happen to us if we killed one another. The Great Lord will have you soon enough. His victory is assured."

"He has failed before and will fail again," Rand said. "I will defeat him."

Moridin laughed again, the same heartless laugh as before. "Perhaps you will," he said. "But do you think that matters? Consider it. The Wheel turns, time and time again. Over and over the Ages turn, and men fight the Great Lord. But someday, he will win, and when he does, the Wheel will stop.

"That is why his victory is assured. I think it will be this Age, but if not, then in another. When you are victorious, it only leads to another battle. When he is victorious, all things will end. Can you not see that there is no hope for you?"

"Is that what made you turn to his side?" Rand asked. "You were always so full of thoughts, Elan. Your logic destroyed you, didn't it?"

"There is no path to victory," Moridin said. "The only path is to follow the Great Lord and rule for a time before all things end. The others are fools. They look for grand rewards in the eternities, but there will be no eternities. Only the now, the last days."

He laughed again, and this time there was joy in it. True pleasure.

Rand stood. Moridin eyed him warily, but did not get up.

"There is a way to win, Moridin," Rand said. "I mean to kill him. Slay the Dark One. Let the Wheel turn without his constant taint."

Moridin gave no reaction. He was still staring at the flames. "We are connected," Moridin finally said. "That is how you came here, I suspect, though I do not understand our bond myself. I doubt you can understand the magnitude of the stupidity in your statement."

Rand felt a flash of anger, but fought it down. He would not be goaded. "We shall see."

When Rand wakes up, he says the same thing to Min, though he allows here that Destroying the Dark One might not be possible:

Quote:
CHAPTER: 15 - A Place to Begin
Quote:
"Ishamael lives," Rand said.

She snapped her eyes open. "What?" Just when she was beginning to feel comfortable!

"I visited him in the World of Dreams," Rand said. "And before you ask, no. It wasn't just a nightmare and it wasn't madness. It was real, and I can't explain how I know. You will just have to trust me."

"Ishamael," she whispered. "You killed him!"

"Yes," Rand said. "In the Stone of Tear. He has returned, bearing a new face and a new name, but it is him. We should have realized it would happen; the Dark One won't abandon such useful tools without a fight. He can reach beyond the grave."

"Then how can we win? If everyone we kill just comes back again. . . ."

"Balefire," Rand said. "It will kill them for good."

"Cadsuane saidó"

"I don't care
what Cadsuane said," he snarled. "She is my advisor, and she gives advice. Only advice. I am the Dragon Reborn, and I will decide how we fight." He stopped, taking a deep breath. "Anyway, it doesn't matter if the Forsaken return, it doesn't matter who or what the Dark One sends at us. In the end, I will destroy him, if possible. If not, then I will at least seal him away so tightly that the world can forget him."

He glanced down at her. "For that . . . I need the voice, Min. Lews Therin knows things. Or . . . or I
know things. Whichever it is, the knowledge is there. In a way, the Dark One's own taint will destroy him, for it is what gave me access to Lews Therin."

The only argument we've had against Rand being able to actually kill the Dark One has so far been this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
Marcon Interview Memorial Weekend 2001

Q: At one point in the story we see Ishamael talking to Rand, and telling him that they have fought countless times in the past, but this is the final time. Is there anything about his Age that makes it special?

RJ: No...every Age is repeated, there is nothing that makes this Age any different from any other Turnings of the Wheel. The Wheel is endless.

If we just had the answer from RJ, out of context, it would be easier to argue around, but in this context, it's hard. Very hard.

But Rand is all of a sudden claiming that he's going to do it. That seems.....weird, if it's not actually going to happen. Then, we have RJ saying something that seems to contradict the previous quote (to some - I've seen it argued before):
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
Wotmania/Dragonmount Q&A - 9 December 2002

Q: Has the Padan Fain/Mordeth character been present in previous Ages, or is he unique to this particular Age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
RJ: He is unique to this particular Age. A very unique fellow, indeed. In some ways, you might say he has unwittingly side-stepped the Pattern.

Okay, so...then we have the fact that Fain has for a long time been everyone's favorite to become a Gollum-type character (link for those who haven't read or seen Lord of the Rings). Obviously it's not an exact parallel, since we're dealing with different powers here. Gollum was used to destroy the Ring; the popular theory on Fain goes that he will somehow be used to seal up the Dark One.

But what if he could be used to destroy the Dark One?
Quote:
Quote:
CHAPTER: 22 - The Last that Could Be Done

She's right, Lews Therin said suddenly.

She?
Rand asked.

The pretty one. With the short hair. She says we need to break the seals. She's right.

Rand froze, pulling Tai'daishar up short, ignoring the groom who had come to take the horse. To hear Lews Therin agreeing. . . .

What do we do after that?
Rand asked.

We die. You promised we could die!

Only if we defeat the Dark One
, Rand said. You know that if he wins, there will be nothing for us. Not even death.

Yes . . . nothing
, Lews Therin said. That would be nice. No pain, no regret. Nothing.

Rand felt a chill. If Lews Therin began to think that way . . . No
, Rand said, it wouldn't be nothing. He would have our soul. The pain would be worse, far worse.

Lews Therin began to weep.

Lews Therin!
Rand snapped in his mind. What do we do? How did you seal the Bore last time?

It didn't work
, Lews Therin whispered. We used saidin, but we touched it to the Dark One. It was the only way! Something has to touch him, something to close the gap, but he was able to taint it. The seal was weak!

Yes, but what do we do differently?
Rand thought.

Silence. Rand sat for a moment, then slid off of Tai'daishar and let the nervous groom lead him away. The rest of the Maidens were coming through the large gateway, Bashere and Narishma taking the rear. Rand didn't wait for them, though he noticed Deira BashereóDavram Bashere's wifeóstanding outside the Traveling ground. The tall, statuesque woman had dark hair with lines of white at the temples. She gave Rand a measuring look. What would she do if Bashere died in Rand's service? Would she continue to follow, or would she lead the troops away, back to Saldaea? She was as strong of will as her husband. Perhaps more so.

Rand passed her with a nod and a smile and walked through the evening camp toward the manor house. So Lews Therin did not know how to seal the Dark One's prison. What good was the voice then? Burn him, but he had been one of Rand's few hopes!

We know that the evil of Shadar Logoth is opposed to the evil of the Shadow in a way that made it possible for Rand to destroy the taint. Could Fain be used to destroy the Dark One in a similar way?

Rand has been hoping all this time that Lews Therin would know something about how to seal up the Dark One, perhaps ironically since he knew that Lews Therin botched it.

We know from Fel's logic that it can be done, and has been before, but Fel seems to doubt for some reason that the Dragon Reborn can do it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - Lord of Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
CHAPTER: 18 - A Taste of Solitude

"What do you mean it canít be the Last Battle?" Rand tried to keep his voice smooth. Herid always came to the point; you just had to prod him toward it.

"What? Yes, exactly the point. It canít be the Last Battle. Even if the Dragon Reborn seals the Dark Oneís prison again as well as the Creator made it. Which I donít think he can do." He leaned forward and lowered his voice conspiratorially. "He isnít the Creator, you know, whatever they say in the streets. Still, it has to be sealed up again by somebody. The Wheel, you see."

"I donít see. . . " Rand trailed off.

"Yes, you do. Youíd make a good student." Snatching his pipe out, Herid drew a circle in the air with the stem. "The Wheel of Time. Ages come and go and come again as the Wheel turns. All the catechism." Suddenly he stabbed a point on that imaginary wheel. "Here the Dark Oneís prison is whole. Here, they drilled a hole in it, and sealed it up again." He moved the bit of the pipe along the arc he had drawn. "Here we are. The sealís weakening. But that doesnít matter, of course." The pipestem completed the circle. "When the Wheel turns back to here, back to where they drilled the hole in the first place, the Dark Oneís prison has to be whole again."

"Why? Maybe the next time theyíll drill through the patch. Maybe thatís how they could do it the last timeódrill into what the Creator made, I meanómaybe they drilled the Bore through a patch and we just donít know."

Herid shook his head. For a moment he stared at his pipe, once more realizing it was unlit, and Rand thought he might have to recall him again, but instead Herid blinked and went on. "Someone had to make it sometime. For the first time, that is. Unless you think the Creator made the Dark Oneís prison with a hole and patch to begin." His eyebrows waggled at the suggestion. "No, it was whole in the beginning, and I think it will be whole again when the Third Age comes once more. Hmmm. I wonder if they called it the Third Age?" He hastily dipped a pen and scribbled a note in the margins of an open book. "Umph. No matter now. Iím not saying the Dragon Reborn will be the one to make it whole, not in this Age necessarily anyway, but it must be so before the Third Age comes again, and enough time passed since it was made whole Ė an Age, at least Ė that no one remembers the Dark One or his prison. No one remembers. Um. I wonder. . ." He peered at his notes and scratched his head, then seemed startled to find he used the hand holding the pen. There was a smudge of ink in his hair. "Any Age where seals weaken must remember the Dark One eventually, because they will have to face him and wall him up again." Sticking his pipe back between his teeth, he tried to make another note without dipping the pen.

"Unless the Dark One breaks free," Rand said quietly. "To break the Wheel of Time, and remake Time and the world in his own image."

"There is that." Herid shrugged, frowning at the pen. Finally he thought of the inkpot. "I donít suppose thereís much you or I can do about it. Why donít you come study here with me? I donít suppose Tarmon Gaiídon will happen tomorrow, and it would be as good a use of your time asó"

"Is there any reason you can think of to break the seals?"

Heridís eyebrows shot up. "Break the seals? Break the seals? Why would anyone but a madman want to do that? Can they even be broken? I seem to remember reading somewhere they canít, but I donít recall now that it said why. What made you think of a thing like that?"

"I donít know," Rand sighed. In the back of his head Lews Therin was chanting. Break the seals. Break the seals, and end it. Let me die forever.

Interesting how, from here to The Gathering Storm, breaking the seals is, in Rand's mind, a way to end it all and die forever (see the previous book quote). And of course, Fel changed his mind later about breaking the seals, hence the note referenced in the previous quoteóyou have to clear the rubble before you can build.

That wasn't the only time in The Gathering Storm that Rand mentioned killing the Dark One. Here's another:
Quote:
Quote:
CHAPTER: 44 - Scents Unknown

"And Lan?" Nynaeve asked.

"His attack will be well placed." Rand nodded. "He will draw my enemies' attention to Malkier and the Gap, and it will make them think that I am there. Shadowspawn can't move through gateways, so they can't move as quickly as I can. By the time they've engaged Lan, I'll be past them and attacking directly at the Dark One's heart.

"I don't plan to abandon the southern lands, not at all. When the Trollocs punch through the Gap, they will break up into fists to invade. That's when my forces will hit them, led by Bashere, Traveling by gateway to strike at each group of Trollocs from the sides or behind. That way, we can pick the best battlefields to suit our needs."

"Rand," Nynaeve said, her anger fading to horror. "Lan will die!"

"Then who am I to deny him that?" Rand said. "We all deserve the chance to find peace."

Nynaeve found her mouth hanging open. He actually believed that! Or he was convincing himself to believe it, at least.

"My duty is to kill The Dark One," Rand said, as if to himself. "I kill him, then I die. That is all."

"Butó"

"That is enough, Nynaeve." Rand spoke softly in that dangerous voice of his. He would not be pressed further.

And another:
Quote:
CHAPTER: 44 - Scents Unknown
Quote:
"Return to your masters inside of their box," Rand said, voice under control again. "You are to give them a message for me."

"What message, Lord Rand?"

Rand hesitated, then slipped the access key back in its place. "Tell them that it will not be long before the Dragon Reborn rides to battle at Shayol Ghul. If they wish to return to their posts with honor, I will provide them with transport back to the Blight. Otherwise, they can remain here, hiding. Let them explain to their children and grandchildren why they
were hundreds of leagues away from their posts when the Dark One was slain and the prophecies fulfilled."
So, this isn't like my pet theory or anything, but I figured it deserved a thread of its own. The sense of what, exactly, the ending will be, definitely changed in this book. And, as Verin says, it might not be anything like Rand assumes:
Quote:
Quote:
CHAPTER: 39 - A Visit from Verin Sedai

"I compliment you on what you've done here, Egwene," Verin said. "I've followed some little of the foolishness going on between the Aes Sedai factions, though I decided not to get involved personally. It was more important to continue my research and keep an eye on young al'Thor. He's a fiery one, I must say. I worry about the lad. I'm not certain he understands how the Great Lord works. Not all evil is as . . . obvious as the Chosen. The Forsaken, as you'd call them."

"Obvious?" Egwene said. "The Forsaken?"

"Well, by comparison." Verin smiled and warmed her hands on her cup of tea. "The Chosen are like a bunch of squabbling children, each trying to scream the loudest and attract their father's attention. It's easy to determine what they
want: Power over the other children, proof that they are the most important. I'm convinced that it isn't intelligence, craftiness, or skill that makes one Chosenóthough of course, those things are important. No, I believe it is selfishness the Great Lord seeks in his greatest leaders."

Egwene frowned. Were they really having a quiet chat about the Forsaken?
"Why would he choose that quality?"

"It makes them predictable. A tool you can depend upon to act as expected is far more valuable than one you cannot understand. Or perhaps because when they struggle against one another, it makes only the strong ones survive. I don't know, honestly. The Chosen are predictable, but the Great Lord is anything but. Even after decades of study, I can't be certain exactly what he wants or why he wants it. I only know that this battle isn't being fought the way that al'Thor assumes it will be."

Last edited by Terez; 11-29-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to posit that the person at Macron International asked the wrong question. There is nothing special about this Age, but by the time it gets to the Last Battle, the Age will be pretty much over with.

I also forgot to add an RJ quote about his thoughts on circular vs linear time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
CNN Chat 12 December 2000

Chat moderator: How did you develop the idea for the Wheel of Time saga, and where did you get the name?

RJ: The name comes out of Hindu mythology, where there is a belief that time is a wheel. Many older cultures believe that time is cyclic, that it repeats. In fact, I believe the best thing the ancient Greeks gave us was (the idea) that time was linear and change was possible.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tereztheterrible View Post
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]This is newóor, at least, it's not something that Rand seems to have considered since The Dragon Reborn, when he thought he killed the Dark One:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS
"There is a way to win, Moridin," Rand said. "I mean to kill him. Slay the Dark One. Let the Wheel turn without his constant taint."
You might want to ask yourself whose idea this is Terez, Rand's, LT's or Moridin's? Or even worse a sort of combination.

The lines between the three have been terribly blurred in tGS and if there's any combination that can kill the DO it would be Moridin +_DR.

That said though, I don't expect it to happen.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is Moridin's idea. If he had even thought that it might have been possible, then he wouldn't have gone over.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Hero of the Horn

Yeah it seems pretty clear that Moridin doesn't think it's possible. He was goading Rand with the 'stupidity' comment, but one thing that has been shown time and again is that Moridin tends to be honest even when he's goading. His pride won't allow anything less.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Elder

greatwolf will become famous soon enoughgreatwolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
I don't think it is Moridin's idea. If he had even thought that it might have been possible, then he wouldn't have gone over.
Well let's look for the curtains then.

The idea of killing anyone is sort of the way Moridin would think. He might not himself consider killing the DO, but killing is his thing.

LT from the little we know, likely wouldn't consider killing the DO either. He's not really into killing, and he never tried in the aol.

But Rand has the liberty of considering the DO killable. He's never met the guy, and if you add to that Moridin's quiet blood thirstiness, well you get quite a mix.

As I said before, I don't beleive he can.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of TEOTW, Rand sort of accidentally blundered into a situation where he thought that he was killing the DO. He was wrong, but he definitely tried. And failed, because he did not know enough.
At the end of TGH, Rand sort of accidentally blundered into a situation where he thought that he was killing the DO. He was wrong, but he definitely tried. And failed, because he did not know enough.
At the end of TDR, Rand sort of accidentally blundered into a situation where he thought that he was killing the DO. He was wrong, but he definitely tried. And succeeded, sort of, though it wasn't the DO he killed.

With that kind of history, it is not too much of a stretch to think that he wants to do a proper job, now that he can finally plan things a bit in advance.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Elder

Exactly Gonzo. Rand tried killing the DO several times and by now you'd think he'll be considering that maybe the DO isn't really "killable" at all. But his conviction seems stronger than ever now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS
"It is not time for us to fight," Moridin said, waving a hand at Rand. "Go. Leave me in peace. I do not know what would happen to us if we killed one another. The Great Lord will have you soon enough. His victory is assured."

"He has failed before and will fail again," Rand said. "I will defeat him."

Moridin laughed again, the same heartless laugh as before. "Perhaps you will," he said. "But do you think that matters? Consider it. The Wheel turns, time and time again. Over and over the Ages turn, and men fight the Great Lord. But someday, he will win, and when he does, the Wheel will stop.

"That is why his victory is assured. I think it will be this Age, but if not, then in another. When you are victorious, it only leads to another battle. When he is victorious, all things will end. Can you not see that there is no hope for you?"

"Is that what made you turn to his side?" Rand asked. "You were always so full of thoughts, Elan. Your logic destroyed you, didn't it?"

"There is no path to victory," Moridin said. "The only path is to follow the Great Lord and rule for a time before all things end. The others are fools. They look for grand rewards in the eternities, but there will be no eternities. Only the now, the last days."

He laughed again, and this time there was joy in it. True pleasure.

Rand stood. Moridin eyed him warily, but did not get up.

Moridin gave no reaction. He was still staring at the flames. "We are connected," Moridin finally said. "That is how you came here, I suspect, though I do not understand our bond myself. I doubt you can understand the magnitude of the stupidity in your statement."
So Rand uncharacteristically calls him Elan as LT might have done. Was he really thinking his thoughts or LT's? Or a mix of both? Or of the three? I can't say for sure but I suspect its a mix of the three.

Last edited by greatwolf; 11-29-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Rand and LTT (the memories) are integrated in TAR...just as they are at the end of the book. Rand should have full access to his previous life now...with no wacky voice distracting him.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Youngling

padfoot89 will become famous soon enoughpadfoot89 will become famous soon enough

If Rand can come up with a plan to destroy the DO, he could get Moridin to work for him. Moridin's allegiance to the Shadow is because he reasoned that the DO would eventually win given enough number of chances. He's seeing the big picture here that given infinite number of chances the DO would eventually win unless the DO has an IQ of a 2 year old. If Rand can convince Moridin that the DO wouldn't have any other chances, he might just switch allegiance.

Alternatively, he'll kidnap Fain and chuck him into the Bore. The cataclysmic reaction will destroy them both and end up breaking the world, thus fulfilling prophecy.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davian93 View Post
Rand and LTT (the memories) are integrated in TAR...just as they are at the end of the book. Rand should have full access to his previous life now...with no wacky voice distracting him.
But what of the Rand and Moridin integration? Min did have that viewing you know, so their memories may also merge. That would give Rand rare view point of the DO.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwolf View Post
But what of the Rand and Moridin integration? Min did have that viewing you know, so their memories may also merge. That would give Rand rare view point of the DO.
That is likely yet to come...could be part of how he wins. [He] being Rand and the Light.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Old 11-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Min's viewing says that they 'seemed to merge', not that they did merge. I expect more of the same, but no telling really what sort of ways the link will manifest itself. We don't know enough about it to say.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Ancient

Neilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant futureNeilbert has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yeah ok, but this really just begs the question. Where is Ishamael's palace? It displays all the characteristics of being in TAR, and in the Blight, but we know that these things are mutually exclusive. There is no Blight in TAR. IIRC the location of Ishamae's palace got RAFO'ed in an interview question. What's the deal here?

Quote:
Blight: you can not enter it from Tel'aran'rhiod because it is apart from NORMAL UNIVERSE and can not be touched. The Blight is not part of the normal universe.
And this is interesting...

Quote:
Q: "Theoretically...if someone...had sex in Tel'aran'rhiod, could they be pregnant in the real world?
RJ: Read and find out. I like the dirty questions! You notice it's always the women who ask the dirty questions, never the men.

Last edited by Neilbert; 11-29-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

I see it as being at Shayol Ghul rather than in the Blight (arguably even more part of another universe than the Blight, but that Moridin has access to in the Dream). But as I've said elsewhere, that is probably the only reason why it felt different than Tel'aran'rhiod, to Rand. All the other characteristics are dead on. I think the reason why Brandon wouldn't confirm that it was Tel'aran'rhiod is that he didn't want to confirm construct theory.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Ancient

Tercel will become famous soon enoughTercel will become famous soon enough

I've always kind of assumed that Rand's thought that he might be able to kill the Dark One was Brandon's nod to fan-theories. Quite often in tGS, Brandon mentions fan-theories by having characters in-story discuss and debate the very theories fans have been discussing.

I think this is one of those. Rand is the logical one to bring up the fan-theory that Rand might kill the DO rather than re-imprison him, and Moridin is the logical one to argue that it's totally idiotic and would never work.

There's a couple of things I've been wondering though, since hearing in tGS how the Dark One tainted Saidin...

LTT when sealing the bore touched Saidin to the DO directly because "something has to touch him". As a result the DO was able to taint Saidin.

1. So what should touch the DO? We have been told that the bore is a thinness in the pattern which allows the DO to be sensed through the Pattern, which strongly implies that before the bore it was the thickness of the Pattern itself that imprisoned the DO. So it's not surprising that as the DO breaks free of his prison, reality itself is disintegrating. So the 'correct' thing to do to seal the bore is strengthen the Pattern. So far in the series we've seen no mechanism for strengthening the Pattern, except perhaps Herid Fel's comment that "belief and order give strength". (Also, this would make sense of the DO's instructions to sow chaos)

2. If the taint on Saidin was caused by it touching the DO, that suggests that the 'correct' way of removing the taint was to break the seals on the DO's prison, thus disconnecting the DO from Saidin. But the taint being caused by 'touching' the Dark One makes me think that the taint itself is in some sense a 'piece' of the Dark One himself. Rand's solution to the taint was interesting... from RJ interview questions, I understand that Shadar Logoth was a 'new' thing in the history of the wheel. Rand was able to use that evil to mutually annihilate the Dark One's evil touching Saidin. But I have to wonder: Did Rand in fact actually annihilate a 'piece' of the Dark One himself?! If so... shoving Fain into the Pit of Doom could well be a fairly good way to go about 'killing' the Dark One.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tercel View Post
I've always kind of assumed that Rand's thought that he might be able to kill the Dark One was Brandon's nod to fan-theories. Quite often in tGS, Brandon mentions fan-theories by having characters in-story discuss and debate the very theories fans have been discussing.

I think this is one of those.
I dunno about that. Seems kind of strange for him to all of a sudden believe that he can kill the Dark One, after all this time. And to mention it four times in the book? At least four...I might have missed some.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I dunno about that. Seems kind of strange for him to all of a sudden believe that he can kill the Dark One, after all this time. And to mention it four times in the book? At least four...I might have missed some.
It should be noted that he also thinks he can kill someone just by looking at them funny. I'm not sure if Rand can really be taken seriously throughout most of this book. It seems like the "I'm gonna kill the DO" is the ultimate in grandiose hubris brought on by his possession of the CK Key.

Last edited by Davian93; 11-29-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

It will be interesting to see if Rand's kill the Dark One plan lasts after he's come to terms with the nature of his destiny and the fact that he wants the Wheel to keep turning as of the end of tGS. The desire to kill the Dark One was part of his megalomania that developed and finally came to a head in tGS.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
It should be noted that he also thinks he can kill someone just by looking at them funny.
1. There's nothing to say he actually believes that. He was making a threat.

2. There's nothing to say he can't actually do it.

Tags
fain, fel, kill the dark one, last battle, rand/moridin, the creator, the pattern