art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - Non Wot Discussion Boards > Archived: Non WoT Related Discussion 09/09 - 9/10
User Name
Password

Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Hero of the Horn

Ishara has disabled reputation
Send a message via MSN to Ishara

Quote:
Originally Posted by yks 6nnetu hing View Post
Oh, you know what I think you would really like Ish? Natalie Zamon-Davis' "The Return of Martin Guerre" the book is tiny but really-really good. Besides, the main appeal of microhistory is that it focuses on very small patches of history and so it's easier to relate to (read: read) for non-historians

But anyways, I know (and sometimes get overexcited about) some vague stuff that some people wrote decades ago but you make such beautiful jewelry in the present!
ROFL. Would you believe I have that one on my shelf and have NEVER even cracked it? I had to buy it for European History in University and may have skipped that assignment (just on example of why you're so much smarter than me, LOL). I'll give it an honest go if you say it's good though!

Thanks btw. Have a show tomorrow, so I am wallowing in self-consciousness and an insane need to producxe at the moment, LOL.

Rand: You are an insensitive bastard!!!
Mat: And you ruined another hat!

It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by lightening. -- Calvin

"Gee, I wish I could do magic! Maybe I'll try!" --SDog

Official Vixen of Theoryland and Theoryland Siren

Grain Goddess, the Rood Inverse, the Mad Glomper
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Hero of the Horn

yks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond reputeyks 6nnetu hing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishara
ROFL. Would you believe I have that one on my shelf and have NEVER even cracked it? I had to buy it for European History in University and may have skipped that assignment (just on example of why you're so much smarter than me, LOL). I'll give it an honest go if you say it's good though!

Thanks btw. Have a show tomorrow, so I am wallowing in self-consciousness and an insane need to producxe at the moment, LOL.
hehehehe you're funny now let's see - I like Kay, I like Gabaldon, I like Jordan, I like Hobb and I liked the Zamon-Davis book.

Good luck tomorrow!

Bonded to JWB

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Old 12-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Elder

RogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of lightRogueSavior is a glorious beacon of light

On the topic of History Books which are entertaining, I really enjoyed A Distant Mirror - really, anything by Tuchman is readable.

It covers the life of a guy in the 14th century who wasn't a King, but was still present at lots of awesome stuff which happened.

Also, anything about Pirates, especially Bartholomew Roberts. The lives of the Caribbean Pirates were amazingly filled with drama. That's the reason why humanity's been obsessed with them.
and you were tasty!-Brita
That was fabulous m'dear
-Zaela
Hero of Theoryland
Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazbaque View Post
No she isn't. Even if you only count from when elves wake up. She was not arround when they first traveled to Aman. And a whole lot happened there before she was born.
Nothing happened when they traveled to Aman. Its a wholly unimportant part of the story. It only serves to divide the Elves up so we can know why they're not all the same. The Silmarillion is the story of the Silmarils. Galadriel is alive when the Silmarils are created, and thus, she is alive for all of the major events in the story. Everything else is background.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSavior View Post
On the topic of History Books which are entertaining, I really enjoyed A Distant Mirror - really, anything by Tuchman is readable.

It covers the life of a guy in the 14th century who wasn't a King, but was still present at lots of awesome stuff which happened.

Also, anything about Pirates, especially Bartholomew Roberts. The lives of the Caribbean Pirates were amazingly filled with drama. That's the reason why humanity's been obsessed with them.
Tuchman is enjoyable...a must read for anyone who likes WWI histories. I would recommend Massie as a better read personally. His biopics are quite interesting.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Ancient

Ozymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to allOzymandias is a name known to all

Anyone who knows anything about anything knows the only "must read" history book is Sumer and the Sumerians by Harriet Crawford.

Of course, I know some who don't even think the Sumerians existed, so perhaps thats a must read as well
Old 12-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Anyone who knows anything about anything knows the only "must read" history book is Sumer and the Sumerians by Harriet Crawford.

Of course, I know some who don't even think the Sumerians existed, so perhaps thats a must read as well
...says the guy specializing in Sumerian/Middle Eastern history.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

The trip is related to the creation of orcs which is bloody important. Galadriel wasn't there when Elwe and Melian fell in love which is a part of the early days and probably the most important event in the history of Beleriand.

You can push this on Ozy twisting the meaning of important, but you'll just end up with Galadriel being there to witness everything that happens to Galadriel.

Hmmmm... I have to check up on when Glorfindel first turns up. He is at least as good as Galadriel and is in fact quite often closer to events than her. If he was there when elves went to Aman, he would be the one who sees everything or at least is nearby.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen
Old 12-06-2009, 04:41 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I think there were a couple of Glorfindels.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Hero of the Horn

Nazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond reputeNazbaque has a reputation beyond repute

Tolkien said they were the one and the same. He is one of the few characters who comes back from the dead.
Lord Captain Commander of Singing Chipmunks
Master of Nazgul Kitchen

Tags
books