art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (1): ShadowbaneX,

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 12-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejam View Post
I'm just going by the knowledge that the Creator made Shai'tan for there to be a counterbalance in his creation
Actually that's not known at all.

The Creation/Destruction dichotomy, on the other hand, is something to which I've always subscribed.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

DahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant futureDahLliA has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to DahLliA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
It's an interesting question as to why the Creator did not destroy the Dark One
easy one

Quote:
Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization.

"'Profound... huh.' Temper was silent for a long moment, studying the cobbles of the alley mouth. And then he lifted his helmed head, faced Shadowthrone, and said, 'Fuck off.'"
Old 12-06-2009, 02:29 AM
Elder

Wunderwaffe has a spectacular aura aboutWunderwaffe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Wunderwaffe

Is it safe to assume that all previous iterations of the Dragon Soul at some point before the end fully integrated all memories of their past selves? Or was Rand's integration with all of his previous iterations a unique act to this Age?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderwaffe View Post
Is it safe to assume that all previous iterations of the Dragon Soul at some point before the end fully integrated all memories of their past selves? Or was Rand's integration with all of his previous iterations a unique act to this Age?
Strictly guesswork, but I think the Dragon Soul does integrate with -- or at least become aware of -- his past lives at the end of every Third Age in his final incarnation of the Second and Third Ages (eg as the Dragon Reborn) but otherwise is only integrated with all of his past lives while awaiting reincarnation in T'A'R.

The Dragon Soul is spun out once as the Dragon to supervise the end of the Second Age (and partially re-imprison the DO) and then spun out a second time as the Dragon Reborn to supervise the end of the Third Age and repair the DO's prison so that it can become completely forgotten again by the end of the next First Age. Only the second archetype needs to be aware that he is "a specific Soul reborn according to Prophecy," in Greandal's words.

According to RJ, the Dragon Soul is spun out in "non-dragon" incarnations, and remembering past lives as the Dragon or Dragon Reborn would probably be counter-productive to those incarnations.

(Now if I could just figure out which questions they go to. )

I met you in a past life. You were wrong then, too.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Elder

Yellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to beholdYellowbeard is a splendid one to behold

just had this thought. at work so don't have books and can't look up things to check at the moment.

don't a few of the 4th age writings that appear as quotes at the beginning/ending of the novels reference the DO's prison,etc.?

and i thought strike at shayol ghul was written like it was a report written by a 4th age author, and it references that a "thinness" in the pattern can be detected to show where the DO's prison is?

wouldn't that suggest that the DO survives TG and his prison is restored to a pre-bore condition?

i've been intrigued by LTT's statements that something had to touch the DO when they sealed he sealed the bore. i'm wondering why? why does something have to touch the DO? obviously, when rand gets his redo attempt at the sealing, he can't use saidin or saidar. the obvious answer is fain, but it also seems to me that maybe RJ isn't that predictable.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Elder

Wunderwaffe has a spectacular aura aboutWunderwaffe has a spectacular aura about

Hey Harold, the second and third age Dragons always serve the same function? The second age Dragon partially but imperfectly seals the Bore. The third age Dragon, having a "second chance," correctly seals the bore.

The roles can't be reversed? It seems odd that the second age Dragon can never do the job as effectively as the third age Dragon. Why does the second age Dragon always screw up? LTT, in his arrogance, thought men could seal the DO away as well as the Creator did. Three thousand some years later the world is still reeling from the effects of his baseless assumption.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Hero of the Horn

Weird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant futureWeird Harold has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowbeard View Post
and i thought strike at shayol ghul was written like it was a report written by a 4th age author, and it references that a "thinness" in the pattern can be detected to show where the DO's prison is?
"The Strike At Shayol Ghul" was written during the Breaking -- Late Second Age,Early Third Age, or an indeterminate Interstitial period -- not in the Fourth Age.

Quote:
Hey Harold, the second and third age Dragons always serve the same function?
I see a full Turning as most like the Playbill at a Shakespearian fetival -- Every night, the same seven plays are performed live, onstage, in the same order. Each day's performance is slightly different because of audience reactions and flubbed lines, but Romeo and Juliet always end up dead, Lady MacBeth never gets the blood washed off her hands, and Julius Ceasar still gets a knife or twelve in his back.

The Dragon is the lead in one play and the Dragon Reborn is the lead in the next. Julius Ceaser doesn't get to kill himself over Juliet and Lady MacBeth doesn't get to poison herself over unrequited love even if the same actors play Juliet-Lady Macbeth and Romeo-Ceaser; Each play has a script that must be followed.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
I see a full Turning as most like the Playbill at a Shakespearian fetival -- Every night, the same seven plays are performed live, onstage, in the same order. Each day's performance is slightly different because of audience reactions and flubbed lines, but Romeo and Juliet always end up dead, Lady MacBeth never gets the blood washed off her hands, and Julius Ceasar still gets a knife or twelve in his back.
SPOILER ALERT
Old 12-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzi77 View Post
SPOILER ALERT
Pfffft!

Shakespear has been released just a tiny bit longer than the six-months to a year Theoryland worries about spoilers.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Harold View Post
Pfffft!

Shakespear has been released just a tiny bit longer than the six-months to a year Theoryland worries about spoilers.
Wait, Julius Caesar was killed?!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Youngling

wolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nicewolframbohr2 is just really nice

Boy, way to go and spoil the plot of the book I was reading after tGS. Next your gonna tell me that Holmes survived Reichenbach Falls.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Who?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
Youngling

Blue Bob is an unknown quantity at this point

I thnk he means Robert Downey Jr.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bob View Post
I thnk he means Robert Downey Jr.
Elementary.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon View Post
Elementary.
, my dear Blue Bob.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Hero of the Horn

Quote:
, my dear Blue Bob.
thatsthejoke.jpg

Tags
fain, fel, kill the dark one, last battle, rand/moridin, the creator, the pattern