art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 11-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Elder

kivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to allkivo is a name known to all
Default Have we already read the moment the title "A Memory Of Light" comes from?

Quote:
The Gathering Storm
Chapter 50, Veins Of Gold, Page 759

Rand raised his arms high, a conduit of power and energy. An incarnation of death and destruction. He would end it. End it all and let men rest, finally, from all their suffering.

Stop them from having to live over and over again. Why? Why had the Creator done this to them? Why?

Why do we live again? Lews Therin asked, suddenly. His voice was crisp and distinct.

Yes, Rand said, pleading, Tell me. Why?

Maybe ... Lews Therin said, shockingly lucid, not a hint of madness to him. He spoke softly, reverently. Why? Could it be... Maybe it's so that we can have a second chance.

Rand froze. The winds blew against him, but he could not be moved by them. The Power hesitated inside him, like a headsman's axe, held quivering above the criminal's neck. You may not have a choice about which duties are given you, Tam's voice, just a memory, said in his mind. But you can choose why you fulfill them.

Why, Rand? Why do you go to battle? What is the point?

Why?

All was still. Even with the tempest, the winds, the crashes of thunder. All was still.

Why? Rand thought with wonder. Because each time we live, we get to love again.

That was the answer. It all swept over him, lives lived, mistakes made, love changing everything. He saw the entire world in his mind's eye, lit by the glow in his hand. He remembered lives, hundreds of them, thousands of them, stretching to infinity. He remembered love, peace, and joy, and hope.

Within that moment, suddenly something amazing occurred to him. If I live again, then she might as well!

That's why he fought. That's why he lived again, and that was the answer to Tam's question. I fight because last time, I failed. I fight because I want to fix what I did wrong.

I want to do it right this time.
I don't imagine there is going to be a passage in books 13 or 14 that could better fulfill Robert Jordan's hauntingly beautiful title, "A Memory of Light."
Old 11-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

I was thinking that 'A Memory of Light' would refer to the time when it seems as if all is lost (probably after Rand dies).
Old 11-13-2009, 11:29 PM
Elder

Toss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of lightToss the dice is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivo
I don't imagine there is going to be a passage in books 13 or 14 that could better fulfill Robert Jordan's hauntingly beautiful title, "A Memory of Light."
I very much doubt that's how this 3-book long, Tarmon Gaidon focused, 2 books left to go "trilogy" got it's name. I realize your passage does fulfill the title very well, but if it ends up being it, that will be incredibly weak.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:17 AM
Youngling

El Bogarto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default There was this too:

Quote:
tGS, Bathed in Light:

There was something beautiful about it. The light streaming down in a column, strong and pure. Distant, yet striking.
It was like something forgotten, but somehow still familiar, shining forth from a distant memory to bring warmth again.

"Storms will come," it seemed to say. "But for now, I am here."
Memory, light, what more do you want?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Hero of the Horn

Davian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond reputeDavian93 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez
I was thinking that 'A Memory of Light' would refer to the time when it seems as if all is lost (probably after Rand dies).
Yes, that 3 day period before he is brought back to life by Nynaeve.

"We caught them in an alley on skid row in downtown Philly and brought them down with Uzi's and dogs. I beat the shit out of one of the guys for resisting arrest. After that, I went home, fried up some tofu with strawberry preserves and melon sticky rice, laid down on the couch with my snuggie and ate rose petals in sweet daisy wine sauce and watched Mamma Mia on DVD and then cried myself to sleep."

Theoryland: Just Some Crazy In A Pot
Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Hero of the Horn

WinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant futureWinespringBrother has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to WinespringBrother

There might be literal darkness that engulfs the world, like at the original moment when the bore is opened by Mierin:

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Jordan:

Shadow Rising

CHAPTER: 26 - The Dedicated
What seemed a tiny chip of white spun away from the Sharom in a jet of black fire; it descended, deceptively slow, insignificant. Then a hundred gouts spurted everywhere around the huge white sphere. The Sharom broke apart like an egg and began to drift down, falling, an obsidian inferno. Darkness spread across the sky, swallowing the sun in unnatural night, as if the light of those flames was blackness. People were screaming, screaming everywhere.

"Oh, y'all [Theorylanders] are awesome with awesome sauce, but you ask a lot of tricky questions. I had to watch myself with you guys." - Maria

"I need to RAFO more things, I'm not being very Robert Jordan..." - Brandon
Old 11-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Hero of the Horn

Belazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant futureBelazamon has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Belazamon

Maybe each of the three books will contain a Memory of Light. Overarching themes, and whatnot.

No one cares, no one sympathizes
You just stand around and play synthesizers
Old 11-15-2009, 04:07 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

A Memory of Light. Another Memory of Light. Yet another Memory of Light. I only have Memories of Light! Sod it, I'll give up half the light of the world.

Good theory, Bela.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Youngling

Blue Bob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another possible reference

Belas comment regarding overarching themes made me think that this is why these books are masterpieces. References inside of references. Variations on a theme.

So I am adding this to the thread. In my second reading of TGS I cam upon this quote from Rand. He, Nyn and Cads are discussing the 'questioning'of Semi...

The Gathering Storm
Chapter 1
Tears from Steel page 63
"I said no!" Rand said. "You will question her but you will not hurt her." Not a woman. I will keep to this one shred of light inside me. I've caused the death and sorrows of too many women already."

I doubt that Brandon would throw THE quote out so early either. But I like the theme.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Youngling

bluejam is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belazamon View Post
Maybe each of the three books will contain a Memory of Light. Overarching themes, and whatnot.
Aye, would make sense since these 3 were supposed to be one book.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivo View Post
When I first heard the title I immediately thought of what started this all, the opening scene to the series. LTT on Dragonmount. I thought it would be a recalling of what he had done and why he had done it. I was of course expecting some complex answer that would solve the mystery of defeating the DO instead of the simple yet powerful one given.

So, while I would tend to agree, I can't entirely. Mostly because book 14 will still carry the title "A Memory of Light" which would indicate that the scene of importance is in book 14.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Elder

ckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bob View Post
Belas comment regarding overarching themes made me think that this is why these books are masterpieces. References inside of references. Variations on a theme.

So I am adding this to the thread. In my second reading of TGS I cam upon this quote from Rand. He, Nyn and Cads are discussing the 'questioning'of Semi...

The Gathering Storm
Chapter 1
Tears from Steel page 63
"I said no!" Rand said. "You will question her but you will not hurt her." Not a woman. I will keep to this one shred of light inside me. I've caused the death and sorrows of too many women already."

I doubt that Brandon would throw THE quote out so early either. But I like the theme.
That last remaining memory of light, sourcing from his love for Ilyena, was what basically saved the world from Rand destroying it with the Choedan Kal.

In re-reading that scene though one thing did strike me and that was the sentence about how he saw all of his past lives, past memories all flooding into him. Wonder if that will come into play in future books.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Elder

Wunderwaffe has a spectacular aura aboutWunderwaffe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Wunderwaffe

I think that as others have pointed out, "A Memory of Light" will be a recurring theme in the next two books. I don't think a single incident will substantiate it.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Elder

Bonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the roughBonzi77 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderwaffe View Post
I think that as others have pointed out, "A Memory of Light" will be a recurring theme in the next two books. I don't think a single incident will substantiate it.
Agreed. Much like the storm was a running theme through tGS. Brandon did a great job turning a generic title into a compelling theme.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Elder

ckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of lightckparrothead is a glorious beacon of light

Except he should have titled the book "The Gathering Tempest".

Yikes. Talk about something that should have been caught in editing. Substitute some of those iterations of "tempest" with "storm" or even "maelstrom" please.

Tags
a memory of light