art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7653

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Hero of the Horn

SauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond reputeSauceyBlueConfetti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to SauceyBlueConfetti

Endorsing:

Slow reads, lots of paying attention required
Malazan Book of the Fallen series, by Steven Erikson (book 1=Gardens of the Moon) Hard to explain. Lots of good v. evil battles and magic, demons, heroes and villians that are not the "normal" stuff.

Medium reads
A Song of Ice and Fire, George RR Martin (book 1 - A Game of Thrones) kings, queens, dragons, magic and unexplained dead things.

Fionavar Tapestry, by Guy Gavriel Kay (book 1=The Summer Tree) historical ties to fantasy series. I loved this series.

Fast reads
Rachel Morgan books - by Kim Harrison (book 1 = Dead Witch Walking) Witches, weres, vamps, etc

Sookie Stackhouse books - Charlaine Harris (book 1 = Dead Until Dark) vamps, weres, witches. VERY quick reads

Temeraire books - by Naomi Novik (book 1 = His Majesty's Dragon) Alternate history of the Napoleonic wars...with Dragons. The first couple books are ok, I started feeling like the same 'ol same 'ol rehash after a while though.
Yeah. Murderous Saucey. My superhero name
I am Detroit. You REALLY wanna call me wimpy?
Haphazardly Spell & Fact Checked Since June 2001
Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Elder

reTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the roughreTaardad is a jewel in the rough

I must say that WoT is the only fantasy that I've ever enjoyed enough to read through an entire book. I even put down LotR when I was two-thirds through the first book; fantasy normally just doesn't do it for me. I guess I just found a niche with RJ.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 PM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
Stop being a drama queen. If they decide to split it one more book (which I doubt - they probably should, but they probably won't), we'll still get the conclusion of WoT in 3 more years. I agree with Tercel - more books=better. I doubt there will be another Crossroads-type book even if they split it further.
LOL

That's funny, because I totally don't give a shit anymore. I was being dramatic more for the sake of being dramatic than for actually worrying that I might hit 40 before it's done.

Anyway, I'm not at all worried about a Crossroads book--that wasnt' me. I'm sure BS will keep up the pace and plot advancement--I honestly think that's why he might need another book.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Youngling

Rahvin571 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here are a couple other good reads I've come across:

- The Black Company
This series is very different than WoT or GRRM. It focuses on an elite band of mercenaries that end up getting in over their heads. The writing is excellent and the PoV is not from the direct, major powers in the world, but from the guys on the front line.

- The Lies of Locke Lamora
A clever series about a small gang of thieves who pull off high-scale heists through elaborate schemes.

- The Name of the Wind
Absolutely amazing book. This book is about a self-imposed exile named Kvothe who has committed all sorts of impressive acts. The first book talks about his early past. Wind is truly a great book - Patrick Rothfuss has done a better job with this than in almost any other book I've read
Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispin's Crispian View Post
I was being dramatic more for the sake of being dramatic
I know; that's why I told you to stop being a drama queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
I'm not at all worried about a Crossroads book--that wasnt' me.
Yes dear...that comment was a qualifier for my agreement with TerceI.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Elder

One Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to allOne Armed Gimp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahvin571 View Post
- The Name of the Wind
Absolutely amazing book. This book is about a self-imposed exile named Kvothe who has committed all sorts of impressive acts. The first book talks about his early past. Wind is truly a great book - Patrick Rothfuss has done a better job with this than in almost any other book I've read
I got that book for my birthday, haven't read it yet though. Got 1.5 books ahead of it.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Hero of the Horn

Crispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond reputeCrispin's Crispian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terez View Post
I know; that's why I told you to stop being a drama queen.

Yes dear...that comment was a qualifier for my agreement with TerceI.

Clear as mud.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute

I do try.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Elder

dominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant futuredominominic has a brilliant future

David Farland's books have one of the best "magic" systems(and some of the most brutal battle scenes based on it) I've ever read, although outside of that the story is a bit thin...
Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 AM
Hero of the Horn

More:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS
This book needs to be at least as good as TGS, if not better. Either way, it's probably going to be longer--consider yourself warned.
Though it's not really new info. Some clarification:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWS
Q: Why has the TofM progress bar been stuck at the same number for so long? A: Been doing revisions. Plan to do a blog post soon.

Problem: I want the book to work on its own, and not feel like "All of the stuf that didn't go in TGS thrown together."

Last edited by Terez; 01-13-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Tags
bws quotes, towers of midnight