art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 01-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Youngling

Wantanswers has a spectacular aura aboutWantanswers has a spectacular aura aboutWantanswers has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoTheGreat View Post
In this book, Nynaeve is too much under Cadsuane's influence.
I do not understand why, I have to admit, since she was doing better with Rand (and other things) before she became subservient to Cadsuane. And with Cadsuane's track record of failure in handling Rand, there wouldn't seem all that much reason to hold her in awe.

Perhaps Cadsuane used Compulsion on Nynaeve?
Cadsuane cannot use the OP on Nynaeve because of one of her ter'angreals
Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantanswers View Post
Cadsuane cannot use the OP on Nynaeve because of one of her ter'angreals
True, but then, what other reason could Nynaeve have for giving up a successful approach in favor of a severely flawed one?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Youngling

Wantanswers has a spectacular aura aboutWantanswers has a spectacular aura aboutWantanswers has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
True, but then, what other reason could Nynaeve have for giving up a successful approach in favor of a severely flawed one?
Although she won't admit it, Nynaeve admires Cadsuane.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Be advised that Gonzo is almost never being serious.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:30 AM
Hero of the Horn

GonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoTheGreat has a reputation beyond repute

I do know that Nynaeve admires Cadsuane, but I wonder what for. In her interactions with Rand, Cadsuane hasn't shown any skill that I'm aware of. There were only two things that saved her from being booted out forcefully. First, the fact that Min said she had to teach something, and Rand assumed that he had to be somewhat nice to her so as not to scare her away. Second, that the Aiel assumed that Cadsuane had been responsible for saving Rand from Fain's magic man-eathing mist.

An added advantage which Cadsuane abused was the fact that Rand had better (or more constricting, at least) manners than she has. If it had been me she had slapped, I would have struck back.
Come to think of it: it is going to be interesting to see how Rand deals with her now that's at least somewhat come to his senses.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Elder

nameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant futurenameless has a brilliant future

Nynaeve admires Cadsuane because she wants to be a respected old lady. In her present role as a beautiful young woman society makes it difficult for her to solve all her problems by yelling at people and hitting them with sticks. She does it anyway, but it's not easy for her. As a cranky old woman she would be allowed to yell and hit to her heart's content. She sees in Cadsuane the culmination of all her life's ambitions.

Tags
rand/egwene, verin