art by =saintchase

Theoryland Resources

WoT Interview Search

Search the most comprehensive database of interviews and book signings from Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and the rest of Team Jordan.

Wheel of Time News

An Hour With Harriet

2012-04-30: I had the great pleasure of speaking with Harriet McDougal Rigney about her life. She's an amazing talent and person and it will take you less than an hour to agree.

The Bell Tolls

2012-04-24: Some thoughts I had during JordanCon4 and the upcoming conclusion of "The Wheel of Time."

Theoryland Community

Members: 7611

Logged In (0):

Newest Members:johnroserking, petermorris, johnadanbvv, AndrewHB, jofwu, Salemcat1, Dhakatimesnews, amazingz, Sasooner, Hasib123,

Theoryland Tweets

Forums

Home | Chat | Old Forums(Yuku)

Go Back   Theoryland of the Wheel of Time Forums > THEORYLAND STEDDINGS > Forum Archives > Archived - WoT Discussion Boards > Book 12: The Gathering Storm
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2010, 06:10 PM
13th Depository

Linda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to behold

Terez I agree that Rhea is important as a mother of a royal line, since goddess Rhea was called the "mother of the gods".

I've actually written about Rhea hiding baby Zeus away in the Perrin essay this week (and I've got to go back and expand it in the Rand essay as well). As you said both Perrin and Rand have parallels to Zeus. Perrin got the connection with the eagle, bull and oak and Zeus' protector and orderer roles, and Rand got the thunderbolts, leading the overthrow of the Titans and being hidden away as a baby by the Pattern to avoid being killed. That's the trouble, there aren't straightforward correspondences between the 3 ta'veren and Zeus, Hades and Mat, they're mixed around some. But the way they worked together to overthrow the Titans and banished them to Tartarus, the abyss beneath the underworld, and divvied up the world after is a solid parallel.

Tuon's lions fit closer to Cybele, a Phyrgian fertility goddess who wore a long belted dress and a veil just like Tuon does in WH What a Veil Hides. But then Cybele was linked to Rhea.

Perrin's helmet is in the style of that worn by Alexander the Great and in that dream might be a hint at a former life of his. Hence the reference to glory and victories that Perrin had in the dream while wearing the helmet, which wouldn't quite fit if Perrin was the last king of Aldeshar. But it could be that both Aldeshar and Alexander are meant. Jordan liked to really pack in layers of symbols.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Hero of the Horn

Terez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond reputeTerez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Terez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
Perrin's helmet is in the style of that worn by Alexander the Great and in that dream might be a hint at a former life of his. Hence the reference to glory and victories that Perrin had in the dream while wearing the helmet, which wouldn't quite fit if Perrin was the last king of Aldeshar. But it could be that both Aldeshar and Alexander are meant. Jordan liked to really pack in layers of symbols.
Also, if Perrin was the last king of Aldeshar, then I'm sure he had more glorious victories than most, since they held out against Hawkwing for so long. So far as I can tell, the bit about Hawkwing never having lost a battle had to be legend:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ
TITLE - Crossroads of Twilight
CHAPTER: 3 - A Fan of Colors

Tuon let out a long breath that did not sound won over in the slightest. “Do you remember Hawkwing’s face, Toy?” Mistress Anan blinked in surprise, and Selucia sat up on the bed frowning. At him. Why would she frown at him? Tuon just continued to look at him, hands folded in her lap, as cool and collected as a Wisdom at Sunday.

Mat’s smile felt frozen. Light, what did she know? How could she know anything? He lay beneath the burning sun, holding his side with both hands, trying to keep the last of life from leaking out and won*dering whether there was any reason to hold on. Aldeshar was finished, after this day’s work. A shadow blotted the sun for an instant, and then a tall man in armor crouched beside him, helmet tucked under his arm, dark deep-set eyes framing a hooked nose. “You fought well against me today, Culain, and many days past,” that memorable voice said. “Will you live with me in peace?” With his last breath, he laughed in Artur Hawkwing’s face. He hated to remember dying. A dozen other encounters skit*tered through his mind, too, ancient memories that were his, now. Artur Paendrag had been a difficult man to get along with even before the wars started.

So it seems that Culain was Joal Ramedar's general, and that they won many battles against Hawkwing before they were finally defeated....unless they had simply reached a long series of stalemates?

In any case, Aldeshar also fought Guaire Amalasan, and they sent men to assist other nations in fighting him as well. Aldeshar was certainly the strongest of the pre-conquest nations.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:18 PM
13th Depository

Linda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to beholdLinda is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Also, if Perrin was the last king of Aldeshar, then I'm sure he had more glorious victories than most, since they held out against Hawkwing for so long. So far as I can tell, the bit about Hawkwing never having lost a battle had to be legend
True. But the information on whether many of the battles were victories or stalemates isn't there as you say.

Quote:
So it seems that Culain was Joal Ramedar's general, and that they won many battles against Hawkwing before they were finally defeated....unless they had simply reached a long series of stalemates?
Culain reminds me of the Celtic hero Cu Chulainn (meaning hound of Culann) who was given this name after he killed the hound of Culann the smith in self defense and said that he would rear Culann a replacement hound, and until the dog was old enough to do the job, he would guard Culann's house himself.

Cu Chulainn has things in common with Mat and with Perrin. The Mat stuff I've posted, the Perrin stuff is currently being written.

Tags
aldeshar, body-swap, luc/isam, rhea, slayer